Broadheads: Fixed or Mechanical for Deer Hunting

Camo_Man

Jan 18, 2015
I've been using mechanical broad heads for Turkey hunting. Recommended by a friend.

I'm planning on deer hunting this upcoming season and another gentleman said he had horrible experience with the brand I'm using. He recommended another brand.

My brother-in-law uses fixed broad heads.

I would like to hear other deer hunters recommendations on whether they prefer fixed or mechanical broad heads and why. What brand have you found most reliable?

Thanks!

Reactions: Goyaałé
I like fixed broadheads. You don't have to worry about your blades deploying or not.. And after you shoot something with it, it only takes a few minutes to sharpen and it's ready to go again.

I use G5 Montecs

Reactions: Goyaałé
I like grim reaper expandable 100 grain broad heads I've only killed a turkey with them but they messed that bird up and left nothin to be desired

Reactions: just_ducky_1
What do you mean D16......no meat left? I've had that happen when a turkey took 3 shots from a rage should of just let the dogs run him down

This is like Chevy vs Ford.......fixed just hit bone harder but the expandables give a bigger hole. I seem to get better blood quicker with expandables....but dead is dead......shoot what's most accurate for you its all about shot placement & confidence in your shot.

What brand are you using?

Reactions: turkeyman 85
MJB said:
What do you mean D16......no meat left? I've had that happen when a turkey took 3 shots from a rage should of just let the dogs run him down

This is like Chevy vs Ford.......fixed just hit bone harder but the expandables give a bigger hole. I seem to get better blood quicker with expandables....but dead is dead......shoot what's most accurate for you its all about shot placement & confidence in your shot.

What brand are you using?
I mean they dropped the bird dead in its tracks no flopping at all

I haven't shot a lot of stuff with my bow, but lost a buck that I thought I had put a good hit on (fixed Shuttle-T)......The next 2 bucks were killed and found with 100 gr. mechanical Grim Reapers......The boys shoot 100 gr. mechanical Rage's.....Found them fast with good blood trails.....2 cents

ps.....To be fair, 3 pix are of the Shuttle T's blood & arrow.....The buck was actually found on a property that I was not allowed to go on (about 300 yds away).

pss.....Josh was using Shuttle T's for his 1st doe (last 2 pix)

psss....Ford vs Chevy.......lol

Attachments

• Jacob's 1st deer 2013 ll.JPG
    Jacob's 1st deer 2013 ll.JPG
    733.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    591.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    453.6 KB · Views: 48
  • wister & turkeys 12-31-11 045.JPG
    wister & turkeys 12-31-11 045.JPG
    864.2 KB · Views: 49
  • wister & turkeys 12-31-11 044.JPG
    wister & turkeys 12-31-11 044.JPG
    972.3 KB · Views: 51
  • fletching 1-1-12 001.JPG
    fletching 1-1-12 001.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4541.JPG
    IMG_4541.JPG
    502 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4122.JPG
    IMG_4122.JPG
    793.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 1st bow buck 2012 017.JPG
    1st bow buck 2012 017.JPG
    587.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 1st bow buck 2012 018.JPG
    1st bow buck 2012 018.JPG
    588.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Jacob's 1st deer 009.JPG
    Jacob's 1st deer 009.JPG
    627.1 KB · Views: 56
I made my own for a while, using banding steel. I prefer a good fixed-blade, and I know that people who are planning to shoot big critters will go with the fixed blade. For a little bitty CA deer, you might be able to get away with an expandable. ;)

As stated above shot placement is the right answer, but less then perfect shots happen more then anyone wants to admit. And not if, but when you hittem a little high or a little back a quality expandable could make up the difference.

Hey Steve I have a question for you. Why do you guys never put up any pics of Josh's "MONSTER BUCK"? I feel he took that guy with full intent to be legal and ethical. And I think everyone feels the same way. And yes when It pops up one day everyone will have questions but that won't take long to get out of the way. And I think he should be proud of his accomplishment and let us help celebrate it here with you guys. I sure would like to see it and maybe hear Josh's report on how the hunt went down. It will be like hanging it on the wall here forever. That deer is some thing to proud of. E.F. can't take that away. (sorry for the thread jack.)

Invisible man said:
Hey Steve I have a question for you. Why do you guys never put up any pics of Josh's "MONSTER BUCK"? I feel he took that guy with full intent to be legal and ethical. And I think everyone feels the same way. And yes when It pops up one day everyone will have questions but that won't take long to get out of the way. And I think he should be proud of his accomplishment and let us help celebrate it here with you guys. I sure would like to see it and maybe hear Josh's report on how the hunt went down. It will be like hanging it on the wall here forever. That deer is some thing to proud of. E.F. can't take that away. (sorry for the thread jack.)

Doug,

I've never hid it or been anything but proud of Josh in his bagging of this magnificent buck (4x8). I personally never touched it (I was in Montana when it was confiscated.)......Here's the only pix I have of him. And yes, it's still BS in my book. Josh just wants to move on..... As do I.....He scored 148 1/2.

ps.....Josh was even given a court order to return this deer to him and was refused by DFG!

pss.....It was shot with a Rage expandable.

.josh kettl giant deer[1].jpg josh kettl deer[1].jpg

Last edited:
What a great buck Steve. I don't want to see this thing get buried and forgotten about let's give it its own thread and let Josh come in here and talk about the hunt. Everyone knows the circumstances and everybody knows that it was BS and I think he would get full support from the community as he did from the very beginning. Let's get him for recognition in the eyes of his peers, fellow hunters.

That deer is a trophy the Dfg is full of **** he only made a minor mistake and the DFG insisted he pay for it with that deer. I definitely think you should get josh on here I would love to hear the story of that monster first hand

Is josh your kid Steve? He seems like a hell of a young man and got a raw f'n deal from a guy who is hopefully working at a car wash now.

Awesome buck.

Ali said:
Is josh your kid Steve? He seems like a hell of a young man and got a raw f'n deal from a guy who is hopefully working at a car wash now.

Awesome buck.

No Ali......His father left the family and I basically just took him under my wing (his dad is a good guy by the way)......Josh probably won't discuss it anymore. He's told the story just as I have a million times......Just time to move on...... Josh is a Christian kid and is now on the Escondido Fire Dept......The gamey got his just reward for this travesty of justice.

I've shot quite a few deer and elk with my bow using both fixed and expandable broadheads.Invisible man is correct in that shot placement is the key.You cant beat the entry and exit holes that come from the expandables,they are deadly even if you miss your mark by a few inches.I keep both in my quiver,I don't like to stalk with a knocked arrow,I prefer to knock when I'm going to take the shot,but if I feel the need to have a knocked arrow while stalking I use the fixed because you can easily deploy expandable blades on brush. Technology gets better not worse.shoot expandable every chance you get,you will tag more animals in the longrun.just my 2 cents

Any thought on specific game like pigs? I've heard that fixed may be better for pigs because it's so hard to penetrate the shoulder area. I think Neil (GSGS) has seen some mechanicals fail due to that.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu