Broadheads: Fixed or Mechanical for Deer Hunting

Ive been shooting the Grave Diggers For a bit and taken 6 animals with them. They are a hybrid mechanical with no rubber bands. They make monster holes and killer blood trails. I would not hesitate to put an arrow thru any animal Jus my 2 cents.

Attachments

• 20150122_101719.jpg
    20150122_101719.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 53
I've always used the NAP Spitfire 100gr expandable broadhead. Has always left me with great blood trails to follow. I have lost a deer with it but I believe it was much more due to shot placement, which is key!
They have a few different version but they all seem to be about the same except the chisel tip.

My Montecs blades have always deployed. Never even think about it. Just saying
On that note, I just purchased some Muzzy Trocars for my Chill R. Wanna see how they fly.

Gab909 said:
My Montecs blades have always deployed. Never even think about it. Just saying
On that note, I just purchased some Muzzy Trocars for my Chill R. Wanna see how they fly.

Andy,

Whatever you were shooting, it worked on this guy................. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9208.JPG
    IMG_9208.JPG
    895.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9212.JPG
    IMG_9212.JPG
    589.5 KB · Views: 42
Rage hypodermic, but like others have said it is shot placement that is key.

Attachments

• 2014  (6).JPG
    2014 (6).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Mechanical or fixed for soft skinned animals, deer, bear, coyotes, elk, small hogs etc. best for turkey,. stay away from shoulders penetration is greatly compromised with 3 blade expendable's going into bone. Two blade fixed for big Hogs and any game with thick fur for maximum penetration, Two blade expendable's for all, you can harvest any of these animals with the correct shot placement. Practice, practice, practice.

I'm a fixed blade guy. Found too many pieces of broken mechanicals in pig gristle plates to ever trust them for boar. Like others said they do have their place, just not in my quiver.

Rage are great blades as I have tested them and you can buy them based on the poundage you shoot. That said my go to is the Slick Trick 100gr mags. as I shoot a 50lb draw I prefer the fixed heads. But in the end as has been said shot placement is more important then the broad head you use.

Taking up a discussion that started in another thread, if you use fixed broadheads, what are the advantages of vented vs non-vented?

Bonejour said:
Taking up a discussion that started in another thread, if you use fixed broadheads, what are the advantages of vented vs non-vented?

I shoot non vented VPA 3 blade. The biggest advantage I see is they are dead silent in flight. I have had a few deer "jump the string" when shooting vented broadheads. I never really thought about it but they hissed a lot. I switched to the non vented and haven't had a deer duck yet.

Beside the noise they can break and that can stop penetration. Had one hog where the arrow should have passed thru but one vented blade broke and stopped in the chest cavity it hit a rib bone on the way in ever since then I stayed away.

I've seen the shuttle T hit back bone and kept going that made me a believer.

Srfnkill said:
Bonejour said:

I shoot non vented VPA 3 blade. The biggest advantage I see is they are dead silent in flight. I have had a few deer "jump the string" when shooting vented broadheads. I never really thought about it but they hissed a lot. I switched to the non vented and haven't had a deer duck yet.

Interesting the difference never even occurred me. But now that it has been noted. I hunted with the Magnus Stinger with vented blades. then I switch over to Muzzy 3 Vented blades. the difference in style never even occurred to me. The two blade was way more accurate and consistent. but was vented. I am amazed. may change to non vented.

Ghost

One thing ill say as far as the Slick Tricks is that they fly just like my field tips. That's obviously important. One stated advantage of mechanicals over fixed is that they fly more like your field tips. Does anyone find that non vented don't fly as well, or catch the wind more than mechanicals or vented fixed blades?

Bonejour said:
One thing ill say as far as the Slick Tricks is that they fly just like my field tips. That's obviously important. One stated advantage of mechanicals over fixed is that they fly more like your field tips. Does anyone find that non vented don't fly as well, or catch the wind more than mechanicals or vented fixed blades?

Don

My partner hunted with rage mechanical s, and they flew just like his field tips . where as my stingers was very close to my field tips.
the muzzy 3 blade fixed. wander like a son of Blip. it took absolutely perfect tuning. the rage also did not get hung up as easily on walking thru the woods. I found from experience that the mechanical out weight the issues with fixed. where it effected me was on very windy days. my fixed blade did not hit the mark. at longer distance. but since last year was my first year hunting with compound bow it may have been the operator as well. it was a tough transition from traditional to compound. as with my traditional I was faster and quieter than with my compound at making the shots. The compound is diffidently more accurate at long distance with peep sight set up.

Ghost

I've used both and in my experience, the mechanicals I shoot now are far superior to the fixed I've shot in the past. I've killed deer with both, but the mechanicals fly much more true in a field point aspect; and I'm just using Cabelas brand! I've used fixed G5's in the past and Thunderheads as well. The G5's retained an edge better than the Thunderheads but were all over the board with accuracy. The Thunderheads were better, in my opinion, but these new mechanicals I got sealed the deal for me. They work better on extreme angle shots as they tend to "grab" better at angle than a fixed.

Personally, I'm not going back to fixed.

this is an old thread, but I thought I would resurrect it. if no one minds.

Looking to buy the Grim Reaper 125 gr
after last hunt, I thinking to use a mixed bag of 2 blade fixed, & mechanical. does any one have any updates.????????
I found like I said in my old post above fixed just don't do well in wind after 40 yards. , in addition I did research on the following.
on the weight of the carbon arrows, I am using Victory V6 arrows, weight approx. 8 GPI. can we get some more people to talk about this.
I thinking of increasing the weight to 10 GPI, draw 29 Inches, draw weight 60LBS.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu