budget optics

I had a tasco on my pump crossman 17cal pellet/bb gun as a kid. Rock solid killed blue jays, Sparrow’s, doves, quail, and rabbits. Always hel truism and the recoil never hurt it. Came with the gun, I will never forget that shiny aluminum scope. Probably killed more animals with that scope than any of my high end stuff no joke. The tasco brings a smile To my face.

Refer to my first post budget and optics don’t go in the same sentences.

I had a tasco on my pump crossman 17cal pellet/bb gun as a kid. Rock solid killed blue jays, Sparrow’s, doves, quail, and rabbits. Always hel truism and the recoil never hurt it. Came with the gun, I will never forget that shiny aluminum scope. Probably killed more animals with that scope than any of my high end stuff no joke. The tasco brings a smile To my face.
Exactly!

Alright. We have you officially on record now.
Glad somebodys got a record going, thanks Larry! now lets get out there and kill some stuff! Tascos and all!

Crossing fingers for Saturday. Gonna make the 3am drive over to the backside of D11 some 150mi (1-way) away again and try to call in a 'Yote. Then if no go, figure climb up high and try out the 15x Vultures. Big Open Desert Hills country over there .

At least over there, there is usually the consolation prize of Ground Squirrels. So I bring along the .17 HMR as well. So if the calling doesn't pan out, at least I can practice taking small targets.

The drive back though... ugh.. it's mind-numbing stop-and-go BS all the way back once the rest of the world has woken up. I usually have to drink a RedBull for the trip home so I can be alert while driving since I'm so burnt out by nightfall and being in that wind all day.

Um, I thought we were talking Binos? I just have a 3x9-40mm Crossfire II on my .17 HMR. Pretty entry-level, but decent glass. I DEFINITELY would tell a friend not to put like one of those cheapie base-model Simmons on one though. I think it was just a 4x, but ugh, each quadrant had its own unique distortion pattern in it.

I hope you guys are taking those shots on private property. If any LEO spots you doing that, it will NOT be good. CA DOJ would throw the book at you.

BTW Sprig? Where did you order your dash liner from for the Explorer? I need something like that on the F-150. The texture of the dash reflects heavily into the windshield sometimes and obscures my view an annoying amount at times. I was thinking one of those would cut the glare down immensely.

Best binos are the ones that get used. I bought a pair off craigslist, Barska 10-30 X 50, $10, work great and super crisp image, zoom and focus is second nature now, cant complain. When it comes to the tripod and mount I would spend more, I have had some cheesy tripods for my DSLR cameras and they suck if they are flimsy and unstable.

I love my Barska that I have a window mount for. Works great roading.

I made the mistake of buying a Redfield Spotter 65mm. And I knew it was a mistake when I swapped over to the little 10x42 Bushnell HD Monocular and could see more clearly the same area I was pointing at, at distance. By a significant margin.

got a lot more info than I bargained for. Thanks for the info guys. Had to do some work on my car a few weeks ago and blew my optics budget. So Im going with the tripod and binos plan for a bit. Got an older pair of bushnell binos that has been working for me for a few years. Never got around to looking through high end glass, so I really don't know what Im missing...which is probably good for now, otherwise my car might still be broken with a nice set of binos in the trunk.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu