Cartridge Debate

I have a question, what is wrong with a 6.5 cm?

I’d smash a elk with it and I’d bet it would go down.

It probably would but you're using the bare minimum.

I've shot quite a few elk with my .270 and watched my dad shoot them with his 300wm. It's a night and day difference. Now consider your 6.5 creed is a step less powerful than the .270.

Or just pack one out and you'll find out real quick lol.

Reactions: NBK
In a perfect world where I know how to load, no ammo shortages, and I can get a suppressor. I'd do a 28 Nosler with a short barrel.

In reality, the old 300wm would probably get the job.

I'm shooting what ever Larry is shooting..that dude kills copious amounts of large mammals..and often!!! *In his mind*

• Haha
Reactions: JakeSCH
What you have and what works for you. I have borrowed so many rifles in various Calibers, it hard to decide.

I shot a bull with a 127g LRX 100yds stayed on his feet through 4 shots. Went down then tried to stand up and I put one in his neck. All 5 shots were kill shots but damn those animals are tough. 6.5 is a great deer size caliber. But for large mammals I would take a 308 Win with heavy for caliber copper or bonded bullets 10 out of 10 times over my 260 Rem. I think I have killed at least 15 animals with a 260 and I would still go the 308 route over it for elk. Pig hunting you shoot a boar with a 308 bullet vs a 6.5 and its night and day difference. Frontal diameter and bullet mass go a long way on the big stuff.
Bottom line if you are recoil shy shoot a 308Win for elk not a 6.5 CM.

The felt recoil difference between 30-06 to a 300 WM is small. I would say stock design is more important that then the extra 15 gr of gun powder.

A 30-06 would be my second choice (i grew up with one). Though with modern bullets / powders you can beat traditional 300 WM ballistics. I know a guy getting 3000 FPS with 200 gr bergers behind 63g of N560 w/ 26" barrel. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself. I still won't ever load mine that hot, that is what I push my 300 WM to.

I shot a bull with a 127g LRX 100yds stayed on his feet through 4 shots. Went down then tried to stand up and I put one in his neck. All 5 shots were kill shots but damn those animals are tough. 6.5 is a great deer size caliber. But for large mammals I would take a 308 Win with heavy for caliber copper or bonded bullets 10 out of 10 times over my 260 Rem. I think I have killed at least 15 animals with a 260 and I would still go the 308 route over it for elk. Pig hunting you shoot a boar with a 308 bullet vs a 6.5 and its night and day difference. Frontal diameter and bullet mass go a long way on the big stuff.
Bottom line if you are recoil shy shoot a 308Win for elk not a 6.5 CM.

Shoot them in the heart. All you guys shoot highly accurate rifles.

People drop elk every year with a pointy stick placed in the heart or lungs. 6.5 with the Lrx at 300 yards will do more damage to the lungs and heart then a arrow with a rage on the front of it.

Just because an animal doesn't drop on impact doesn’t mean it’s not gonna die in a short amount of time.

At the end of the day shot placement, good expanding round and distance is everything.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Shoot them in the heart. All you guys shoot highly accurate rifles.

People drop elk every year with a pointy stick placed in the heart or lungs. 6.5 with the Lrx at 300 yards will do more damage to the lungs and heart then a arrow with a rage on the front of it.

Just because an animal doesn't drop on impact doesn’t mean it’s not gonna die in a short amount of time.

At the end of the day shot placement, good expanding round and distance is everything.

Agreed, but chasing a big animal down isn't fun. Unfortunately, elk and the likes are a larger bio-mass and can take on lethal punishment and travel a long way prior to expiring.

A .22 with the right shot placement will work, but not optimal.

Reactions: 180ls1
Not saying the anyone is wrong just sayin if your good with a hog of a rnd like @JakeSCH loves shoot it, if you like smashin deer with a .223, handle it. I like the 6.5 and I’ll smash game with it.

Agreed, but chasing a big animal down isn't fun. Unfortunately, elk and the likes are a larger bio-mass and can take on lethal punishment and travel a long way prior to expiring.

A .22 with the right shot placement will work, but not optimal.

All I’m saying is people kill elk every year with a bow. Enough said

All I’m saying is people kill elk every year with a bow. Enough said
Bows don't kill in the same manner that rifles do.

A 22lr has twice the energy of most hunting bows but I certainly wouldn't hunt elk with one.

Not saying the anyone is wrong just sayin if your good with a hog of a rnd like @JakeSCH loves shoot it, if you like smashin deer with a .223, handle it. I like the 6.5 and I’ll smash game with it.

100% agree! The creedmore works well on game by putting a bullet it in the lungs and it won't last long. I have no issues with that at all.

I personally like the bigger cartridges for taking steeply quartering away shots. Last year I would not have tagged my bull with a smaller caliber. Long story short, I had a tiny window in 7' shrub oak at 300 yards, all broadside shots had a cow elk behind him, and when they finally moved he was turning away.

I shot him extremely quartering away. It entered in through rear of stomach, went through paunch, browse, liver, lungs, and breaking the far side leg before exiting....about 4 ft of penetration. It was my only shot opportunity and luckily i had that 338 w/ 260 gr bullets......and he sure enough he collapsed like he was hit by a freight train.

Last edited:
100% agree! The creedmore works well on game by putting a bullet it in the lungs and it won't last long. I have no issues with that at all.

I personally like the bigger cartridges for taking steeply quartering away shots. Last year I would not believe I would have tagged a bull with a smaller caliber. Long story short, I had a tiny window in 7' shrub oak at 300 yards, all broadside shots had a cow elk behind him, and when they finally moved he was turning away.

I shot him extremely quartering away. It entered in through rear of stomach, went through paunch, browse, liver, lungs, and breaking the far side leg before exiting....about 4 ft of penetration. It was my only shot opportunity and luckily i had that 338 w/ 260 gr bullets......and he sure enough he collapsed like he was hit by a freight train.

My dad had a similar situation with his 300wm on a bedded bull. If he didn't have the horsepower to take a sub-optimal shot that bull would have got away (most likely). However, the elk never left its bed and was dead within 15 seconds.

I watched @Kellendv shoot a bull in the chest from 250yds with a 140g TTSX in his 7RM it was spectacular. He wouldn't have made it far if it wasn't for the extremely steep hill that rolled hundreds of yards down. I don't have the video on my phone hopefully he still has the footage.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I've actually forgotten the body count of how many large mammals from deer..elk..bear and hogs..that took there last breath from the little cartridge that could...there can be only one..the 257wbymag.....

I watched @Kellendv shoot a bull in the chest from 250yds with a 140g TTSX in his 7RM it was spectacular. He wouldn't have made it far if it wasn't for the extremely steep hill that rolled hundreds of yards down. I don't have the video on my phone hopefully he still has the footage.
Post it up!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I've actually forgotten the body count of how many large mammals from deer..elk..bear and hogs..that took there last breath from the little cartridge that could...there can be only one..the 257wbymag.....
What is your bullet of choice?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu