Cartridge Debate

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I've actually forgotten the body count of how many large mammals from deer..elk..bear and hogs..that took there last breath from the little cartridge that could...there can be only one..the 257wbymag.....

speed kills as long as the bullet doesn't blow up.

My plan is to load up some 175 gr hammers out of my 338 RUM, try to get them 3800 fps....that should be lights out.

Reactions: HATCHET1
For a SHTF scenario my priorities would be availability. 22lr would be the top of the list. But if parts availability was not an issue. Either a 7SS or a 300wsm

Reactions: Morgan1776 and NBK
Shoot them in the heart. All you guys shoot highly accurate rifles.

People drop elk every year with a pointy stick placed in the heart or lungs. 6.5 with the Lrx at 300 yards will do more damage to the lungs and heart then a arrow with a rage on the front of it.

Just because an animal doesn't drop on impact doesn’t mean it’s not gonna die in a short amount of time.

At the end of the day shot placement, good expanding round and distance is everything.
Photos of the heart of that 260Rem bull even when shot in the heart they still don’t want to die. Damn tough animals. B686DD2D-45F1-4507-BC33-DC9F82F0FA04.jpeg799517FA-8B17-482E-A9D7-9EBB5AA123B5.jpeg

Reactions: sportyg and NBK
Huge fan of the 120 Nosler PT... But ever since the copper mandate in CA...I've been forced to shoot Barnes 115..in that jacked up state ..I like to shoot shit in the throat** neck** ..so nothing walks away ..Molly does not care for copper at longer ranges..

Reactions: TRICER
Huge fan of the 120 Nosler PT... But ever since the copper mandate in CA...I've been forced to shoot Barnes 115..in that jacked up state ..I like to shoot shit in the throat** neck** ..so nothing walks away ..Molly does not care for copper at longer ranges..

Fair enough Matt. But neck and head shots take surgical precision and one mistake could mean an animal suffering a lingering death. If placed correctly, it is lights out nurse. I am just not a fan of that type shot. I am not saying others shouldn't take those shots, it is just not for me.

The boiler is a high probability regarding ease of shot placement and lethality.

Just an inexperienced hunters shallow opinion...

I like it!! Reminds me of this one last season on a 90lb coues buck at 4fiddy or so..300win mag..200 grainer..love me some vapor trail...Smoked um! #2 can shoot..I would have missed.

Attachments

• eef7c0e1887469f26e35ae8b1faf40cc48d304de.mp4
    12.9 MB
And that was a rapp.. sadly..no truck in these parts of the desert...I carried the camera and the empty water bottles..the freak was cut and stuffed for the journey out in #2,s pack..I like #2..he,s solid.

.Screenshot_20220809-140847.pngScreenshot_20220809-141006.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 180ls1
I watched @Kellendv shoot a bull in the chest from 250yds with a 140g TTSX in his 7RM it was spectacular. He wouldn't have made it far if it wasn't for the extremely steep hill that rolled hundreds of yards down. I don't have the video on my phone hopefully he still has the footage.
I think it was only like 160 yards…. But I really like that 140 TTSX load from Barnes. Mule deer, elk, Dall rams… they all just fall over dead from inside 100 to 400ish so far. Regarding the “what cartridge is appropriate for elk” debate…. I am definitely not a “bigger is better” guy but I do think you are walking a line a certain point. Part of my decision to buy the 7RM was that I needed a stainless/synthetic rifle for my longer out of state backpack hunts and for foul weather. But the other part was I knew I was walking the line a little bit with my .270 and you just don’t have a lot of options with it. Basically they make a 130 and a 150 load. I shoot the 130’s and yes I have killed elk with it. I heart shot a cow at about 200 yards with it, but you can’t rely on doing that in all hunting situations. Ultimately it is up to the hunter to select the cartridge he or she will use and I have no doubt there are people that have killed a lifetime of elk with 270’s or 6.5’s and even smaller. I just really like it when they fall over dead right where I shoot them.

Reactions: TRICER
I am. Especially with copper going high velocity.
Interesting. I've never tried it.

I did ask the guy at Hammer when I was ordering if I had a quartering to me shot on a bull at 600 and he said he would hold the shoulder or crease without any hesitation. Not that I am competent that far.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu