Cartridge Debate

Had to give the bows some love as well. I’ll take the 80lb “target” bow over the 70lb hunting bow even though it’s slower and heavier. It just shoots so much better in field, especially as the range increases.

.3A07BF62-5C5C-42B6-8B00-1D7679B8097A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t buy what guns I want so planning on loading my 7mm-08 with hammers (since I’ve heard do much about their terminal performance).
I have a stock Howa 1500.
Want to use it for my kids. Was looking at buying 6.5cm for deer, pronghorn, pigs.
Any thoughts on projectile or load data.
Greatly appreciate!

Can’t buy what guns I want so planning on loading my 7mm-08 with hammers (since I’ve heard do much about their terminal performance).
I have a stock Howa 1500.
Want to use it for my kids. Was looking at buying 6.5cm for deer, pronghorn, pigs.
Any thoughts on projectile or load data.
Greatly appreciate!

I would probably get the 120 HH and load it up with Varget or IMR 4166. Start at 38 gr and work your way up to pressure. Once you hit pressure back down 1 gr, go sight it in and you are ready to go.

I would probably use what I have more off. But I typically use standard primers for less than 60 grains and magnum for over 60.

It can go either way, just my preference.

We have all been in recent boating accidents, moving accidents, etc and now all of our rifles are missing. Crazy mishaps.

Now we must choose a single caliber for all of North America...what would you choose?

I would go with 300 WM, because I am very familiar with the cartridge, there are reloading supplies fairly easy to get, extremely versatile and a plethora of factory ammo options if needed. I like the extra speed over a 30-06 and the heavier bullet options if Grizz are on the table.

What caliber would you choose and why?
'06 so many load options so hard to beat.

I'm a 7mm rem mag fan we used them back in Nam as sniper rifles they will kill anything with the right shot placement. Been hooked on them ever since.

Reactions: 180ls1
I'm a 7mm rem mag fan we used them back in Nam as sniper rifles they will kill anything with the right shot placement. Been hooked on them ever since.

If the question was for the lower 48 I feel like 100% that is the best choice.

Reactions: NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu