Cartridge Debate

So many variables when it comes to picking a cartridge. You also need to consider the landscape that you will be hunting in. Are you going to be hunting the desert at 3,500’ or tree line at 12,000’ elevation ? Are you riding in the truck or hiking 8 miles of steep terrain?
Before picking the cartridge, you need to consider the build of the gun for its intended use.
For years I only had 1 big game rifle, chambered in the 338 Win Mag. Definitely towards the top of the list.
My 30 Nosler is a beast that downs elk like Thor’s hammer.
But over all a rifle that is 7-8 pounds all in. With good horsepower without needing a break and gets the job done at close range and distance.
I would have to pick the

So many variables when it comes to picking a cartridge. You also need to consider the landscape that you will be hunting in. Are you going to be hunting the desert at 3,500’ or tree line at 12,000’ elevation ? Are you riding in the truck or hiking 8 miles of steep terrain?
Before picking the cartridge, you need to consider the build of the gun for its intended use.
For years I only had 1 big game rifle, chambered in the 338 Win Mag. Definitely towards the top of the list.
But over all a rifle that is 7-8 pounds all in. With good horsepower without needing a break and gets the job done at close range and distance.
I would have to pick the 7 Rem Mag.
Yep, gotta agree Darryl, Mic drop for me at this point.... comment on other folks it helps me become more informed and offer me knowledge and offer my experience...

I would have to pick the 7 Rem Mag.

Those are all the same reasons I pick the 300 WSM. Well said Darryl.

Reactions: Lungpopper
Big Rams.. take Big lead...Even in the Throat...keeping shooting until Big Rams are Dead..Big Rams are tuff ..

View attachment 55104
I talked to a rancher in NM. He used a 300 on those said they were the toughest thing pound for pound he had hunted. Said they don't bleed either so if they run off you're in trouble.

Toughest animal I have ever shot was an oryx in New Mexico. I drew a "once in a lifetime tag" @ White Sands Missle Range. I shot the oryx 5 times with a 338 Win Mag. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen.

Toughest animal I have ever shot was an oryx in New Mexico. I drew a "once in a lifetime tag" @ White Sands Missle Range. I shot the oryx 5 times with a 338 Win Mag. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen.
338 win mag, 5 times, That's crazy.

Those African animals are on a different level it seems.

The American ground squirrel is one tough SOB though... lol

Reactions: NBK
I talked to a rancher in NM. He used a 300 on those said they were the toughest thing pound for pound he had hunted. Said they don't bleed either so if they run off you're in trouble.
True statement...they rarely go down..keep shooting until it's time not to shoot...that fella ate 200 grains of 300winmag twice..broken neck twice..they don't like to die .. Aoudad are crazy tuff. To me..the toughest animal I've ever shot was a Nilgai..side shot him at a mere 100yds with a 300...lost him..found him the next morning a half mile away..when we spilled him..he had No heart ...zero..nothing but an aorta with hamburger attached...not one drop of blood on the ground..I just stumbled into him..Still Bamboozled on how an animal runs that far with out a pumper...Cray Cray...Those African and Indian..and Iranian critters are next level for sure...

Can I ask an question...can you all really tell the difference in recoil between a 7 Rem Mag & 300 Win Mag? I really can't in an appreciable way. Same with a 300 WSM vs a 300 WM.

It could be that I am just young and dumb and shoot 338 RUM, so my perspective is skewed.

Also, what is the benefit of a short action vs long action in real world practical application? With modern actions it seems to be minimal weight savings. I get short fat cases are better with shorter barrels, definitely a benefit.

It really sucked to be in this guys shoes ..Dr . Death

Attachments

• 20220105_085214~2.mp4
    3 MB
Last edited:
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Stiff pee pee gets you dead every time...

Is that why at CA schools they are teaching little boys to be girls?
Disturbing for sure..I hate Ca.. .forced to be there this weekend for 5 days...lord give me strength..

Can I ask an question...can you all really tell the difference in recoil between a 7 Rem Mag & 300 Win Mag? I really can't in an appreciable way. Same with a 300 WSM vs a 300 WM.

It could be that I am just young and dumb and shoot 338 RUM, so my perspective is skewed.

Also, what is the benefit of a short action vs long action in real world practical application? With modern actions it seems to be minimal weight savings. I get short fat cases are better with shorter barrels, definitely a benefit.

What goes on between our two ears matters a lot more than we give credit for. I am reading a book right now "The Elements of Choice" and based on how items are presented and how we view them make a massive difference. They use the example of how burgers presented as "75% lean" vs "25% fat" have wildly different scores in taste quality. The same thing happens when you give people two identical smoothies and tell one group its healthy and the other group its junk food. People's bodies literally had a different insulin response.

I guess that's a long-winded way of saying we know a guy who can kill anything with a rifle that won't shoot MOA and some guys who think their 3/4" MOA rifle is trash. Perception matters A LOT.

What goes on between our two ears matters a lot more than we give credit for. I am reading a book right now "The Elements of Choice" and based on how items are presented and how we view them make a massive difference. They use the example of how burgers presented as "75% lean" vs "25% fat" have wildly different scores in taste quality. The same thing happens when you give people two identical smoothies and tell one group its healthy and the other group its junk food. People's bodies literally had a different insulin response.

I guess that's a long-winded way of saying we know a guy who can kill anything with a rifle that won't shoot MOA and some guys who think their 3/4" MOA rifle is trash. Perception matters A LOT.

For sure. I tell people you glass, smell, and hear with your brain, not your eyes, nose, or ears.

There is a good podcast on this on the The Backcountry Hunting Podcast, will need to look up the episode but he was interviewing a retired Seal.

Reactions: 180ls1

Their is definitely a recoil difference. My shoulder can tell.

As far as actions, shorter action have shorter bolt throws and tend to track better on the action rails, typically (not always) feed better, are stiffer and lighter and are shorter which allows for a different feel when shooting. There are many advantages. But all in the eye of the beholder as noted in a previous post. I like my short action rifles far more than I do the long action rifles from an ergonomic standpoint.

Reactions: 180ls1 and JakeSCH
Once I have my rifle zeroed, or checking zero, I have no need shoot time after time, so recoil to me is not a big factor. When I shoot at game, I can't say I even notice recoil. I will go out and shoot enough to be confident of hitting my target when the time comes.

Reactions: sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu