Chasing Girls!

Them girls are smart!! Tired of getting Dicked down for months and months....they hiding...

girls are the only ones that get hunted around here. I am shocked I haven’t seen any of them walking in the junipers.

Well got my dad setup under a tree, he had 15 bulls come within 400 yards the last two hours of light.

it was fun, got to watch from a mile off. All in counted 26 bulls tonight….wait for it…drum roll…0 cows!!!

Might call it an early trip and try to make it back after Christmas.

so final count for the day is 49 bulls, 0 cows. I’m sure most of the even bulls were ones we found in the morning.

dang bud. That’s a ton of bulls dude !!!!

My guess would be that the rut is over and they are bred and have no need for the bulls at this point in time. Bulls and cows only come together during the rut. I would suggest that if all you are finding is bulls you are in the wrong place. If I were you I would move somewhere else. I have seen this type of behavior before in Az on the border of NM. When the bulls have had there way the cows go out to the other ranges they know and have frequented and get back to what they know. Feed is a factor so look at what is available and keep that in mind as well as water.

My guess would be that the rut is over and they are bred and have no need for the bulls at this point in time. Bulls and cows only come together during the rut. I would suggest that if all you are finding is bulls you are in the wrong place. If I were you I would move somewhere else. I have seen this type of behavior before in Az on the border of NM. When the bulls have had there way the cows go out to the other ranges they know and have frequented and get back to what they know. Feed is a factor so look at what is available and keep that in mind as well as water.

Agreed. I am hunting a wintering zone that has the largest wintering herd “per the local biologists”. Last year this time there was more elk than I can count, but they had a big November snow storm. I just timed it wrong...elk from neighboring units all gather here once a foot of snow falls.

Bulls are still bugling their tails off, fun to watch. Even saw a couple bigger bulls sparing.

You be aight..head on back before it ends if ya can. and smack her up...

Reactions: JakeSCH
You be aight..head on back before it ends if ya can. and smack her up...

you know it! Still have one more trick, going to still hunt through their beds as the work their way back. Requires hills and boots, but I will start from the top and have my dad pick me up from the bottom. Smarter, not harder!

I got my first elk in this zone, in a ravine a few miles back. There were 13 bulls and 2 cows. I shot the bigger one.

I love how bulls hang out like best friends 11 months out of the year. Then something clicks and they kick the snot out of each other for a month straight.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
Well another 20+ bull morning & no cows. Thought I had found one, got all set up dialed turret, safety off but I noticed a tiny spike antler. Too close to the limit, let him walk.

ton of close encounters though, had 6 bulls within 50 yards and one within 20y. All I could do is shoot them with my phone camera.

This guy didn’t like my mews. Lol

5C72B5FE-2AA1-4F94-9F7A-AF15541B3B2F.jpeg

Congrats, Details ?

just got back to the house. Long story short, decided to pack up and glass in the evening and leaving at dark if we didn’t see anything.

got up high and saw elk spread out through sage and junipers in a corner of public land closest to where my dad saw some cows on private while driving 6am.

saw quite a few bulls but some elk didn’t have defined antlers, so we decided to work our way over (2.5 miles away, we’re able to drive around to be about 1.5 miles from them).

hiked in and got setup, sure enough a cow and 2 yearlings come running at me….came to a dead stop at 150 yards. They came from the opposite direction I expected, so wind wasn’t great. They then turn and run into junipers. Got setup, then mamma stepped out and bang. Through the shoulder out the ribs.

she went about 50 yards before she piled up. Best part was my dad was able drive up a creek bed to get within a half mile for the pack out.

There is a huge 360+ Bull running around bugling the entire time. Even had him at 500y…oh well.

I’m exhausted. 15 mile day, at least packout was on the easier side.

Here she is taking a nap on my pack.
CE2CC846-50EB-4630-9296-A58380D25245.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu