Chasing Girls!

I love it!! However it completely destroyed her shoulder, liquified her lungs and she still went 50 yards. Elk are tough
I don't think elk are that tough just a bigger biomass that takes a bit longer to wind down. All the elk I have seen escape suffered from bad shot placement. The first elk I shot was with a 338 Win mag using 210 Barnes at a long ways, after that I have used a few different things mostly a 7 mag but stepped down to a 25-06 once. I have had the privelidge to watch and particpate in the down fall of several dozen over the years with many different smaller calibers down to .260 Rem and have been told tales of a .243 dumping them from reliable sources. The thing I have walked away with is steep angle shots introduce a different challenge but not much if you hit vitals (penetration) . If the elk (cow or bull is hit broadside in the 12" target of the heart and lung area they die pretty quick with just about any reasonable centerfire round . All of this is concluded with the comment that none of what I have seen was at exteme distances ( beyond 500 yards).

Reactions: Kellendv
Jesus Christ..congrats dude...I could not imagine over thinking it.. KAPOOW..dead girl elk! Way to go.

Reactions: JakeSCH
I don't think elk are that tough just a bigger biomass that takes a bit longer to wind down. All the elk I have seen escape suffered from bad shot placement. The first elk I shot was with a 338 Win mag using 210 Barnes at a long ways, after that I have used a few different things mostly a 7 mag but stepped down to a 25-06 once. I have had the privelidge to watch and particpate in the down fall of several dozen over the years with many different smaller calibers down to .260 Rem and have been told tales of a .243 dumping them from reliable sources. The thing I have walked away with is steep angle shots introduce a different challenge but not much if you hit vitals (penetration) . If the elk (cow or bull is hit broadside in the 12" target of the heart and lung area they die pretty quick with just about any reasonable centerfire round . All of this is concluded with the comment that none of what I have seen was at exteme distances ( beyond 500 yards).

For sure. I dropped my bull at 300 yards earlier this year with the same setup but this cow took a hammer. 260 gr bullets at ~2800 fps impact velocity. Her front shoulder bone shrapneled everywhere.

Going 50 yards with 3 legs and no lungs is tough in my opinion! Like all animals, some have a stronger will to survive.

Jesus Christ..congrats dude...I could not imagine over thinking it.. KAPOOW..dead girl elk! Way to go.

found elk, got to elk, shot elk, quartered elk, drove away in the dark. Pretty standard stuff!

Though in my head I was like, “do not shoot that shoulder”…so I squeezed the trigger while the cross hairs were on the shoulder. Oh well…more burger.

This is what happens when a 260 gr mono metal hits shoulder bone. Bone completely shattered with thousands of fragments. Lost some good meat, but at least I was able to save the flat irons.

B9F4401A-1E64-485E-ABB4-FBCEB8169886.jpeg0D63C7E3-1008-4259-8510-73C654A0C360.jpeg

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu