Considering 410 turkey gun

Fred,

With all due respect...Hunting public or even MMC is not the same as hunting your property or property I have in Julian...When I hunt other states, I ain't dickin' around with some inferior load after walking miles and hunting hard...TSS has been a game changer and shooting a 20 isn't the same as it was...My daughter has killed every one of her turkeys inside 25 yds. with lead & Hevi-Shot and her 20 gauge...Not really that big a deal with the decent decoys and calling.

ps...You let one of the best callers and turkey hunters hunt your property...That makes a big difference too, compared to guys that are just trying to get a turkey on public.
Got to agree been hunting them on public land with both bow and gun for about 6 years sill have not gotten one. Have come close but not yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to agree been hunting them on public land with both bow and gun for about 6 years sill have not gotten one. Have come close but not yet.

One of my favorite kills was my first public land bird!

It's funny because I used to hunt them on private where you could call them in with the dumbest setups and noises so I quit hunting them after bagging some. After I lost access to the property and had to do it on public it lit the fire under me again and I look forward to the challenge every year.

I think this like many topics comes to situation and personal decisions. If you have great property to hunt and very cooperative birds you have options. If you put work in and time you definitely don’t want to be missing an opportunity if given the chance. Chose your weapon you like, it’s your time and effort. I wouldn’t not shoot a 410, but when I am lucky enough to have a bird come in I don’t want to miss my opportunity.

My Benelli M-2 twenty gauge weighs 5.9 lbs....The Savage 301, .410 weighs 5.7 lbs....And, there's no comparison in fire power.... :blush:

ps...Evan, I'm not trying talk you out of buying whatever gun you like...That's always a personal choice...There is a bit of a cost difference too...;)

pss...There's a ton of Turkish made semi-auto shotguns out there in the range of that .410...Check out camo Hatfield's...Buddy shot his last week at Euros...Damn nice for $200.00 bucks
There’s an article from Ron Spomer in the American Hunter I received last night where he’s using a mossberg 500 bantam youth in 20g as his turkey gun. I might consider something along those lines. I like the idea of a red dot sight.

Not as cheap as the h&r but likely superior in just about every way.

I’m eyeing this sucker now. Seems to hit all the marks.

Evan,

Are you looking for a designated turkey gun?...700 bucks seems like a lot for a one purpose shotgun...And, since it's gas operated...It's probably a little heavier too.

Evan,

Are you looking for a designated turkey gun?...700 bucks seems like a lot for a one purpose shotgun...And, since it's gas operated...It's probably a little heavier too.
Not for this season but I like the idea of being able to use a red dot. I could have my 870 receiver drilled and tapped but I don’t know if the rail would allow me to still use the long barrel for wing shooting.

Just something I’ve been considering.

Oh boy, another subject... :joy:

Why a red dot?...Most shots are inside 50 yds, and after that, I don't know that a dot will help anyway....Remember, It is a SHOTgun with multiple projectiles.

They're cumbersome when slinging a shotgun over your back...And, because they stick out from your shotgun, they're the 1st thing that hits stuff (possibly moving POA)

If a bird is moving or even possibly flying (wounded), I wouldn't trust trying to find that dot.

How about fogging up or rainy conditions?

Just something to think about...;)

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu