Cottontails in Laguna

Not too much action on this forum! Good luck with your rabbit hunting though. I would too like to get out there and hunt something....

I got one two weeks ago. Walking slow through the brush is the way I do it. Judo point.

I'm sure the board will pick up as soon as the local deer season starts.

Attachments

• Copy of 1st kill.jpg
    Copy of 1st kill.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 75
Turas, Welcome to the site. Most everyone has friends on other sites, but I have found a home here. The guys here are very helpful, friendly, and forthcoming with real info.
Rabbits- I love hunting rabbits. With no one to show me how to hunt big game it’s all I did when I was a kid. Sling shot, and BB gun at first, then a shot gun when I turned 14. Rabbits do most of their eating at night, and get there water from the dew and plants, so most rabbits I see out in the sage brush are just hiding from predators. If I walk slow I can spot them before they see me and bust. I may be the only guy I know that uses 10x42 binoculars to hunt bunny’s at 40 yards and under but it works. Look under every tuff of grass and you’ll see them there holding tight. Then stalk in with a bush in between you. When you get to 20 – 30 yards you draw back and step out from behind the bush, and whack. Rabbit stew! Range finder helps too. Works on ground squirrels too.
I have got a few jackrabbits with my bow too. The shots will be a lot longer 40- 60 yards. They are tough and will run off with you arrow if you are using a judo point. A good spot for Jacks is up the 395 before sunset. Walk the washes. They will flush and stop at 50 to 60 yards and that is your one shot. There is no stalking in closer on a jack after he has busted.
I love hunting small game with my bow and have shot just about every kind we have around here. But now days with work and family I reserve my hunting days for deer season.

Good hunting !

Jim

Lungpopper said:
Buckhunter is the man I do belive he holds the record for the biggest tail.
He may have to change his screen name to BUNNYHUNTER.

That's what my wife calls me...................

Lungpopper said:

LOL........... He claims he holds the record for the Most Tail back in his single days, But he’s full of it ! His old friends say that he does hold the record for Biggest Tail........... ;D Ha Ha !

O.C. Huntress said:
Lungpopper said:

LOL........... He claims he holds the record for the Most Tail back in his single days, But he’s full of it ! His old friends say that he does hold the record for Biggest Tail........... ;D Ha Ha !

Ouch ! :-[

LOL........... He claims he holds the record for the Most Tail back in his single days, But he’s full of it ! His old friends say that he does hold the record for Biggest Tail........... Ha Ha !

HaHa......THAT IS SOME FUNNY SHIT RIGHT THERE.

Your right that is some funny shit, I hope your buck in Utah is bigger than that rabbit Jim. Be careful guys about eating rabbits during the hot summers they carry allot of diseases during the summer. I like to hunt them after the archery deer season is over in Jan and Feb because they are usually pretty clean. Look for spots on the liver, good hunting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu