Cottontails

I clean them when I get back to the truck.. they stay fine in my vest for a morning of hunting. Except if I obliterate one and it's a mess then I'll stop to clean it right away.
Makes sense, thank you. Looking forward to July!

Reactions: JLerch
I do it right after the hunt, keep them fresh, then freeze the meat or make a pot of stew. But do also recommend soak in brine. Over night then cook.
Rabbit is very lean cook with a little fat
To add flavor and to digest.

Some people may not know this, but, if you were to eat only rabbit, say in a survival situation, you could die of starvation. Rabbit has no fat which the body needs. It is sometime referred to as protein starvation or poisoning. A little bit of useless information.

Some people may not know this, but, if you were to eat only rabbit, say in a survival situation, you could die of starvation. Rabbit has no fat which the body needs. It is sometime referred to as protein starvation or poisoning. A little bit of useless information.
In a survival situation in the SoCal mountains, what is a good source of fat?

Does anyone take shots longer than 25 yards at rabbits? I’m going to be taking my Ruger 10/22LR with a red dot mounted.

Does anyone take shots longer than 25 yards at rabbits? I’m going to be taking my Ruger 10/22LR with a red dot mounted.
of course the closer the better, but sometimes it will be further, it basically know your maximum range, and the best way is to target practice at different
distances. 25 35, 45, & 50 yards that about the limit for a 22LR, I prefer a shotgun, and hit them on the run. 40-50 yards max.

Yep.. I rarely shoot my .22LR anymore (much prefer my .17HMR) but I'm comfy with it out to about 50+ on rabbits. Past that I want my 17 laser beam. I'd say swap out your optic for a rimfire scope but the red dot might be fun for tracking running bunnies like open sights.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu