D13 Scouting/Hunting

USMCmatt

Sep 25, 2019
Hey guys. so I'm gearing up for my first hunt ever and it will be in D13. I know that harvest reports show that it is not very fruitful for tags. But it's in my backyard and with my crazy schedule, it's what works best for me. I haven't had time to get out there with all the overtime at work, unfortunately. I'm new here, and this is my first thread. Seems like a great site.

I have never been up to the LPF or explored it at all. I went on a motorcycle ride up the 33 about 10 years ago, and that's the last time I was out there. I don't expect you to tell me exactly where to go, but with my limited time, if someone out there could maybe give me some vague pointers on where to go, I'd be appreciative to anyone willing. Even if it's been years, anything helps as I really have no idea where to start.

I have OnX and chose Lion Campground as a base camp or starting point as well, but that was going to be more for small game hunting base camp (specifically Middle Lion Campground). Just looking at some Topo maps I was looking at Dough Flat and or Blue Point as glassing locations as the elevation seemed high enough. Again, if I'm way off base and not setting myself up for a good place now, please let me know even without giving me a tip where to go. I just want to get out there and learn and enjoy this sport. I'm not opposed to the backcountry and would rather go where others don't want to. I plan on going with an experienced hunter as well; not alone and definitely not on the first hunting adventure.

With all that said, I plan to go out there this Friday/Saturday. Sometime around there this weekend, and then again Wednesday 10/2 as these are the only days that will work for my schedule. I happen to have the opening weekend off and I plan to head out that Friday the day before after I have determined a spot. If anyone would like to drag me along to mentor, or just want help carrying your gear, I'm willing as well, especially if my mentors won't be avail for opening weekend. I plan on being out there just about every day I have off mainly on weekdays during the 30-day window.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Matt,

Welcome to SCH...I used to see deer while pigeon hunting near Mt Pinos, Frazier Park, and Tukuya (sp) Ridge...Good luck & thank you for your service.

If i was to hunt the 13...id hunt pinos /able mnts. out of frazier...big country ..plus bear....lots of bear.

I'm going to save you some time.

Middle Lion is in A zone. D-13 is North of the Sespe. The area North of the Sespe near the Piedra Blanca trail head is pretty dense brush and would not be the greatest hunting. You'd have to hike down the Sespe a good amount before it starts to open up more.

Dough Flat is in the stupid Condor Sanctuary. It would probably be a decent area to hunt but legally your not supposed to go off the road or the trail. Only hike though. I know... stupid. Plus you can't even drive to Dough Flat, the farthest you can get to is Spring Canyon Creek. Also the road up at the bottom is pretty exposed. I would not want to be up there if a storm came.

The Blue Point Campground is closed. Closest you can drive is the north side boat launch. Oh and the Lake is going to want $10-$14 dollars to let you in that far... per day.

Be prepared to travel thru hostile private property if you are thinking about going to blue point with the other 30 fellows that will be stacked up at the gate...place is a shit show, and monitored by green jeans, land owner security and lake patrol. My 1 cent.

Never having been in the country you have homework. You seem to be on "get it done quick". In that case hire Hatchet and get yourself a forkie.

Reactions: Cbowles
Never having been in the country you have homework. You seem to be on "get it done quick". In that case hire Hatchet and get yourself a forkie.

Definitely have homework, as for getting it done quick. I wouldn't say that. But I can see how I'm coming off that way. I just want to get out and see the land, develop skills, and see how it's done. I honestly don't care if I get a buck at all this season. I would be much happier gaining knowledge and learning the basic ropes while watching someone who knows's what they are doing. Now if during that there is a second buck, I won't complain. But I'm more interested in learning at this point.

I'm going to save you some time.

Middle Lion is in A zone. D-13 is North of the Sespe. The area North of the Sespe near the Piedra Blanca trail head is pretty dense brush and would not be the greatest hunting. You'd have to hike down the Sespe a good amount before it starts to open up more.

Dough Flat is in the stupid Condor Sanctuary. It would probably be a decent area to hunt but legally your not supposed to go off the road or the trail. Only hike though. I know... stupid. Plus you can't even drive to Dough Flat, the farthest you can get to is Spring Canyon Creek. Also the road up at the bottom is pretty exposed. I would not want to be up there if a storm came.

The Blue Point Campground is closed. Closest you can drive is the north side boat launch. Oh and the Lake is going to want $10-$14 dollars to let you in that far... per day.

As for Lion Campground, I was planning on starting there and hiking North, since that is just below the start of D13. But with that being said about being dense, that sounds like it's off the table to look for me.

Condor Sanctuary, that's good to know. I remember reading it was long a lead-free zone before being statewide, didn't realize you couldn't leave the trail...which would be problematic. So That's a no go. Sounds like I'm back to square one as far places to look based on my own looking.

As for the lake, I don't mind paying to be somewhere especially at a low point of around $15.

Be prepared to travel thru hostile private property if you are thinking about going to blue point with the other 30 fellows that will be stacked up at the gate...place is a shit show, and monitored by green jeans, land owner security and lake patrol. My 1 cent.

That sounds like a no go then. I'd really rather go somewhere where there isn't a lot of people. But I imagine that's just not possible around here in such a densely populated.

If i was to hunt the 13...id hunt pinos /able mnts. out of frazier...big country ..plus bear....lots of bear.

Thank you, I will look into these areas.
area.

I'm up in the Frazier park area. If you venture up here and want another noob to blunder through the woods with, I'm game

I’m out of Ventura County and I have been out to D13 the past 2 years. Let me know if you’d like to link up. I go out of Blue Point. No issues as of yet.

Hey guys. so I'm gearing up for my first hunt ever and it will be in D13. I know that harvest reports show that it is not very fruitful for tags. But it's in my backyard and with my crazy schedule, it's what works best for me. I haven't had time to get out there with all the overtime at work, unfortunately. I'm new here, and this is my first thread. Seems like a great site.

I have never been up to the LPF or explored it at all. I went on a motorcycle ride up the 33 about 10 years ago, and that's the last time I was out there. I don't expect you to tell me exactly where to go, but with my limited time, if someone out there could maybe give me some vague pointers on where to go, I'd be appreciative to anyone willing. Even if it's been years, anything helps as I really have no idea where to start.

I have OnX and chose Lion Campground as a base camp or starting point as well, but that was going to be more for small game hunting base camp (specifically Middle Lion Campground). Just looking at some Topo maps I was looking at Dough Flat and or Blue Point as glassing locations as the elevation seemed high enough. Again, if I'm way off base and not setting myself up for a good place now, please let me know even without giving me a tip where to go. I just want to get out there and learn and enjoy this sport. I'm not opposed to the backcountry and would rather go where others don't want to. I plan on going with an experienced hunter as well; not alone and definitely not on the first hunting adventure.

With all that said, I plan to go out there this Friday/Saturday. Sometime around there this weekend, and then again Wednesday 10/2 as these are the only days that will work for my schedule. I happen to have the opening weekend off and I plan to head out that Friday the day before after I have determined a spot. If anyone would like to drag me along to mentor, or just want help carrying your gear, I'm willing as well, especially if my mentors won't be avail for opening weekend. I plan on being out there just about every day I have off mainly on weekdays during the 30-day window.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

The grey ghost of the Los Padres(Blacktail Deer) is a sneaky one. The area's that tend to hold bucks are either in the high mountain area's like Mt Pinos / Mt Able or in the thick manzanita and junipers (like Apache Cyn / Quatel Cyn) which are like a maze in some area's. Even Mutah area I have seen deer and pigs, but now you can't drive back as far because they just designated it a wilderness area. ONX will help in finding access points and planning, just remember to work with the wind. I've seen deer in quite a few area's even not very far in the back country, but the deeper you go the better the chances especially if you can get away from the masses. Might want a bear tag to, there is a lot in the Sespe Wilderness. It is rugged wilderness in D13, so watch your step there are a few doozies.

Recently? I hope but I'm still skeptical.
Well saw some last fall(2018) when I was out there looking for quail. Personally I usually hunt hog in Cuyama area or Santa Paula (private ranch) by Adams Cyn. Also saw one, just one, in the Santa Clara river bottom a few years ago.

The best area I have hunted and seen a variety of activity is Pine Springs area near Lockwood Valley. Look on Google Earth and pick spots close to the "greenest" areas. Look for "ponds" in the mountains. Most is accessible but does require a good hike.

At least 3 generations of long tail in the rocks. Have fun and don't get eaten.

Put some miles on the boots and glass hard. My crew and I have killed a lot of bucks in d13, but it’s not easy. Bucks should be rutting opener, depending on area. Good luck to all hunting it this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu