D14 Trail Cam

Anyone get anything on opening day?
Another guy got a big 3x3, we saw a bunch of doe and even more hunters.
Got shot at by someone too first thing in the morning. Wasnt too cool.

That’s scary. Did you get a chance to talk to them?

That doesn’t sound good at all.

tell tell, that is scary. Hope you had orange on. I was surprised how many hunters i see in d14 rifle had no orange on.

To start off the morning, I had a caliper bolt on my 4runner fall out around 5am. This was the one time I have ever forgot my tool bag. A guy was nice enough to let us have a harbor freight crescent wrench he had in his truck that was passing by. We got it rigged up as good as we could with the remaining bolts and zip ties, slowly drove home where I had some spare bolts, I found a replacement and fixed it, then left again around 6am, got up there around 630ish.
As for the guy who shot at us-
I had an orange hat on, there about 5 minutes and 20 yards from the vehicle, I stopped to re arrange some stuff in my backpack when we were kneeling down, there was a bang, crack then a thump somewhere behind us. I started yelling at them so they wouldn't fire again, as they shot over a road in our direction. I was pretty mad as the chances of a person being in front of a vehicle vs a deer is almost guarantee, plus I don't understand shooting blindly at a target.
I never got to talk to the guy, but afterall no one was hurt so we went on our way, far away from that crowd of people. We had a good few square miles of area to ourselves. After quite a bit of hiking we came up empty.
On our way out one of the guys who was in the same group as the guy who gave us the wrench said they had shot a deer and they were trying to get it to the truck, so we stopped to help them. Ill post a pic of their deer later when I get the chance, but it was the biggest deer I have seen come out of D14.
Except for one idiot it was a good day despite failing to bag a buck.
We went out Sunday to a less traveled area and spotted 3 deer. 2Doe, 1 buck... Naturally the buck I spotted glassing a hill and he was 940 yards away, that was last night near the end of legal shooting light, so he lives for now.

To start off the morning, I had a caliper bolt on my 4runner fall out around 5am. This was the one time I have ever forgot my tool bag. A guy was nice enough to let us have a harbor freight crescent wrench he had in his truck that was passing by. We got it rigged up as good as we could with the remaining bolts and zip ties, slowly drove home where I had some spare bolts, I found a replacement and fixed it, then left again around 6am, got up there around 630ish.
As for the guy who shot at us-
I had an orange hat on, there about 5 minutes and 20 yards from the vehicle, I stopped to re arrange some stuff in my backpack when we were kneeling down, there was a bang, crack then a thump somewhere behind us. I started yelling at them so they wouldn't fire again, as they shot over a road in our direction. I was pretty mad as the chances of a person being in front of a vehicle vs a deer is almost guarantee, plus I don't understand shooting blindly at a target.
I never got to talk to the guy, but afterall no one was hurt so we went on our way, far away from that crowd of people. We had a good few square miles of area to ourselves. After quite a bit of hiking we came up empty.
On our way out one of the guys who was in the same group as the guy who gave us the wrench said they had shot a deer and they were trying to get it to the truck, so we stopped to help them. Ill post a pic of their deer later when I get the chance, but it was the biggest deer I have seen come out of D14.
Except for one idiot it was a good day despite failing to bag a buck.
We went out Sunday to a less traveled area and spotted 3 deer. 2Doe, 1 buck... Naturally the buck I spotted glassing a hill and he was 940 yards away, that was last night near the end of legal shooting light, so he lives for now.
Thats crazy, A few different times I heard people firing 4 or 5 shots really quickly, I’m guessing they must be shooting as the buck runs away. I’m curious to see this buck also. I had the same scenario play out on Sunday, glassed up a deer super far away at last light, tried to get the spotting scope on it and never could find it again.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu