D14 Trail Cam

I'm not quite as conservative as Fred (Snake Charmer), but if we ever lose our turkeys here in San Diego Co., that's it...They will never be in San Diego again... On our property, we do not shoot jakes (private, spring).

On MCC, we encourage people not to shoot jakes in the spring, and there's no fall hunting...We also have the last best population in the county.

Reactions: TRICER
I'm not quite as conservative as Fred (Snake Charmer), but if we ever lose our turkeys here in San Diego Co., that's it...They will never be in San Diego again... On our property, we do not shoot jakes (private, spring).

On MCC, we encourage people not to shoot jakes in the spring, and there's no fall hunting...We also have the last best population in the county.
"Encourage" being the key word, MCC was a Jake slaughter lol. I passed on a few Jakes when I was there and then I would go back to the club house and talk about it and the next day they would be dead. One of my customers did shoot a Jake up there though so I am not innocent of Jake blood. The two seasons I was there were two of the worst in San Diego history as well so the birds were slim pickings. Full disclosure I still have not killed a turkey.
I think its hard because people pay a lot of money and they want a bird in the bag to justify it. I totally understand it and don't hold it against them.

You should have been around ten years ago to witness it and the heyday anticsof the turkeys that came about because of the reintroduction of what is actually non native strain. It's a ghost as to what used to be here since then. IMO leave them alone spring or fall for another few years and according to the weather and how they reproduce. They are stressed and we can buy a turkey dinner at the supermarket, go look for a deer , they are much better suited for the up an down drought lifestyle.
If i could have gotten a tag, and had a rifle i would look for deer. Maybe next year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've been out there scouting with my bow. :joy: I've seen quite a few bucks, many well within rifle range, but none in bow range. Except the one that snuck up behind me! Makes me wish I had drawn a D14 rifle tag instead of 16. Oh well.

would,nt last long in my neck of the woods..KAPOOW! nothing tastier than the young stuff. nice pics.

My kinda bucks right there!! Wax um!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu