D16 Report

Spent all day on the hill yesterday, sunup to sundown. Was basically babysitting does and toothpick spikes for most of the day, waiting for a buck to come around. But I did end up finding this wide buck at around 420, an hour before end of shooting light. I ranged him at 1550 yards and he was down in a hole about 1200 vertical feet below me. I think I could have gotten in range but I would have been packing meat until 3 AM. It was fun watching him tend his 5 does and chase off a toothpick spike. Pictures are a little muddled.... 1600 yards at 60 magnification plus some digital zoom on the iPhone will do that.

ADDD0D48-6BA3-4E06-8089-C1D381C61045.jpeg

55A0CE47-4879-47A3-81BF-32E73DDC5A54.jpeg

2128C6E7-01E4-4B09-A79B-44EFE295C0DE.png

hey Steve would you mind doing a little write up with time line on when the deer was shot till he went to the butcher, any special things you did to clean and prep, do you the deer cold ?, debone or whole deer ? . thanks in advance.
stevo. Trying to reply, but computer won’t come on. Doing this on phone. I’ll do better, as soon as I get it going

Spent the night up on Black Mt last night. Got up early and hiked around to the north east side overlooking Mesa Grande. Glassed for a few hours and never saw any deer.
@bajaandy did you see the bulldozers and San Diego River Park trucks on the way in? A small part of the Northern end of Pamo Valley is being graded for a parking lot of the Coast to Crest trail. The old guy who used to watch hunters for potential trespass is now watching the bulldozers. When I went by him I could sense that he was longing for the way things were before the dozers. Pamo to Black Mtn will be the next Mt Woodson for hikers :(

Reactions: Prime
@bajaandy did you see the bulldozers and San Diego River Park trucks on the way in? A small part of the Northern end of Pamo Valley is being graded for a parking lot of the Coast to Crest trail. The old guy who used to watch hunters for potential trespass is now watching the bulldozers. When I went by him I could sense that he was longing for the way things were before the dozers. Pamo to Black Mtn will be the next Mt Woodson for hikers :(

Yeah, and did you see the hiking trail that goes right through the pastures? I'm sure the cows are loving it. As for Pamo to Black Mt being the next Woodson for hikers... Too late, it already is. I wasn't digging the stink eye I got from some of the hikers. Like I was the bad guy in my slow moving pickup heading back down the road that they had to step out of the way for. But I get it... there are just too many people in SoCal. Funny thing is, they never leave the trails. I spent the entire morning in solitude and never saw another human until I got back to my truck.

Does not surprise me out there last spring had lots of bikers/hikers and did get some looks as we drove out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu