D16 rifle opener......reports & questions

I can sincerely say, that I do hope to be in your position someday in the future. With pics of the boy taking his own stuff, mybe even having a girlie-friend that gets into it. You're a lucky man Steve. Makes for a fine goal for us all to shoot for.

G',

I'm a blessed man...And very lucky to have been raised in such a great time in the Golden State.

I started taking a tarp with me because I read on here once you can wrap it up and drag out easier since the tarp material is slick. Haven't been lucky enough to try it out yet

Carrying a deer with skin on is a great way to get some tic action. Wrong tic then Lyme Disease or other tic related diseases can be acquired. I am not a diehard deer hunter but field dressed three for my kid and niece and dodging tics was the toughest part.

John

Little montage of 2015-2020. All 2-4 miles from roads. BPT loose 10lbs and carry lots of water for the drag out! I always drag 1-2 miles downhill to a staged game cart. Then pull that *#&ing contraption 200 steps at a time for the next 1-2 miles. I'm real particular about hanging and skinning with a spreader bar in the truck, to keep the meat clean. Not particularly easy but works for me as I've got my camp on my back. Fingers crossed for 2020 (A22 and D16) gun and bow are sighted in tight! Good luck to all...my cameras aren't showing many bucks but lots of Mt Lions!2015 to 2020.jpg

Little montage of 2015-2020. All 2-4 miles from roads. BPT loose 10lbs and carry lots of water for the drag out! I always drag 1-2 miles downhill to a staged game cart. Then pull that *#&ing contraption 200 steps at a time for the next 1-2 miles. I'm real particular about hanging and skinning with a spreader bar in the truck, to keep the meat clean. Not particularly easy but works for me as I've got my camp on my back. Fingers crossed for 2020 (A22 and D16) gun and bow are sighted in tight! Good luck to all...my cameras aren't showing many bucks but lots of Mt Lions!View attachment 41462
1 to 2 mile drag is impressive. Nice deer pics. Funny, I can break a deer down and have for the kids. But, I have never got a deer myself. Maybe D16 will be it for me this season. Nice grouping as well.

John

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Are you hunting solo?

Carts are ok if the area you hunt is flat enough to use one but that's not typical for D16. Those roll up drag sleds suck although I hear there good on snow. If there's a couple of you and your close enough to your vehicle then just grab an antler and start dragging. If you're solo though keep a pack frame in your truck and learn how to bone out an animal, google the "gutless method" and when you get your animal on the ground just go for it. I carry an older Kifaru internal frame pack as my day pack and I can carry out a whole boned out deer in it and I also keep a Kifaru frame in my truck in case I have more loads to do like when I get an elk on the ground.
That's the plan, figure I can get out there way more often if I go solo :)

Hes not getting any bigger stevo..let him have it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu