DFW Spring Turkey Hunts 2022

I received Gray Lodge Draw. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Is Wildlife Pass required? Lodging, eating etc. Thank you.

They should send you a letter in the mail/email that will have what passes you will need. I think a hunting license waives the need for a lands pass. I have never done this one but lots of birds up north, should be a fun hunt. Are you in SoCal driving up?

Reactions: MasonP
Had an awesome hunt. Set up 20 yards from 3 Tom's I roosted the bight before but they decided to go the other way. I set up some hen decoys. I think I got to close.

Made a couple moves later in the day, spot and stock style but they evaded me in the high grass.

Everytime I head up north I get closer and closer. I'm ready for next time.

.FB_IMG_1649808188683.jpgFB_IMG_1649808212279.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an awesome hunt. Set up 20 yards from 3 Tom's I roosted the bight before but they decided to go the other way. I set up some hen decoys. I think I got to close.

Made a couple moves later in the day, spot and stock style but they evaded me in the high grass.

Everytime I head up north I get closer and closer. I'm ready for next time.

.View attachment 54034View attachment 54035
20 yards is way too close

Yep...Don't know how I missed this...I always try to get as close as possible, especially if I'm totally concealed going in...Oh, and no head lamps either.
I never had any problems that I was ever aware of, I use headlight, red ONLY. Turkey have very poor night vision. It's there one weak point, hence the need to roost high in trees. That is why you never want to spook a turkey out of their roost at night, they may never get back in roost and become predator food.

Last edited:
Reactions: 180ls1
I never had any problems that I was ever aware of, I use headlight, red ONLY. Turkey have very poor night vision. It's there one weak point, hence the need to roost high in trees. That is why you never want to spook a turkey out of their roost at night, they may never get back in roost and become predator food.

I always use a red light, if I need to...As far as bumping birds out of a roost...Just about anyone that has hunted much, especially Merriam's or a spot you don't know, has bumped birds...Last year on opening morning, I literally sat under the tree of a roosted hen...Then another 4 or 5 were in adjacent trees...They were 15' high cedar trees...The only bird that did not flush out, was the tom...Who, like in most cases, was not with the hens (100 yds up the mountain).

Reactions: 180ls1
I always use a red light, if I need to...As far as bumping birds out of a roost...Just about anyone that has hunted much, especially Merriam's or a spot you don't know, has bumped birds...Last year on opening morning, I literally sat under the tree of a roosted hen...Then another 4 or 5 were in adjacent trees...They were 15' high cedar trees...The only bird that did not flush out, was the tom...Who, like in most cases, was not with the hens (100 yds up the mountain).
How close do you usually get? Maybe two different scenarios, if you know what tree and if you dont know what tree?

How close do you usually get? Maybe two different scenarios, if you know what tree and if you dont know what tree?

Last year, I just assumed they would be up the hill farther and not in such low trees...I had snuck in thru a river bed...Set-up in a strutting area...Not putting them to bed, cost me...I owl hooted too and never got a response...Hind sight tells me I should've set up on the opposite side of the little valley and most certainly will this year.

If I know there's a roost nearby or I know exactly where they are...I try to set up at about 100 to 150 yds away...And If I've patterned them, I try to get that angle to where hens start their daily routine route...If there's water close (and there always is), I will try to sneak in near that...Remember, it's the hens that are your greatest concern.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu