Does anyone actually find hunting/outdoor buddies this way?

JLerch

Jun 8, 2020
I am very new and totally in-experienced but I think it’s obvious that primitive outdoor experiences and hunting are not a common thing here in SoCal. Furthermore, I find that there is a lot of talk about getting together with Friends and getting out there to have a good time but it seems there is a lack of people who actually want to go out and make friends with a complete stranger. I am not immune to this myself but I thought it would be readily available in the outdoorsman community? Are there outdoorsman anymore or are we just gun-toting gear heads? Anyway, enough of my un-warranted rant, I would really like to meet a buddy and just get out there and grow this community of outdoorsman so we can continue to protect our wild-lands and our rights.

Welcome Jlerch..I can tell you from experience that it can work. The first time I went scouting was with a guy I met on SCH a couple years ago who was also new and reached out to me. We still hunt and now fish together(went last week). Also it helps to join groups like NWTF, CWA, and BHA and participate in things like chapter meetings. Honestly the biggest resource can be this site..at least for me it has been. I was weary of going alone having never done it but sometimes the best experience is just going at it alone and testing yourself. What part of SoCal do you hail from?

Welcome Jlerch..I can tell you from experience that it can work. The first time I went scouting was with a guy I met on SCH a couple years ago who was also new and reached out to me. We still hunt and now fish together(went last week). Also it helps to join groups like NWTF, CWA, and BHA and participate in things like chapter meetings. Honestly the biggest resource can be this site..at least for me it has been. I was weary of going alone having never done it but sometimes the best experience is just going at it alone and testing yourself. What part of SoCal do you hail from?
I hunt with 4 or 5 guys from the NWTF meetings . they are all members of SCH

The San Diego chapter of National Wild Turkey Federation has monthly meetings where guys & gals are like minded...A number of the folks that attend have met other people that become hunting partners...Trust me, it's not easy finding a good hunting partner...Also, attend work parties at San Jacinto W. A. (August 1) and Wister W.A.

If you decide to hunt waterfowl...Put in for the draws at the 3 SoCal refuges/wildlife areas (Kern, San Jacinto, Wister)...If and when you get drawn, there's always someone who'll show the ropes of duck hunting for the chance to hunt on a reservation.

Trap & skeet ranges are a great place to meet partners as well...Join a hunting or fishing club.

The Balboa bow range, the lemon groove
Gun range except the 3 d bow meet.
Meet people at a local coffee shop.
It will take time and trust. And it has to be earned. Meet at the turkey meet and any and all such meetings.
Two of my best friends I met out on the field..

Reactions: JLerch
i would like a friend with good private land pig hunting and a ranch in montana for elk.

get out there and have fun. post up pics and talk about it. you will find the friends come naturally. yes people that have rad places to hunt get friends easy that is just human nature. If you show people that you are willing to work and earn it then friends will come.

some of my best friends i have met here and i do not even hunt with some of them.

I am very new and totally in-experienced but I think it’s obvious that primitive outdoor experiences and hunting are not a common thing here in SoCal. Furthermore, I find that there is a lot of talk about getting together with Friends and getting out there to have a good time but it seems there is a lack of people who actually want to go out and make friends with a complete stranger. I am not immune to this myself but I thought it would be readily available in the outdoorsman community? Are there outdoorsman anymore or are we just gun-toting gear heads? Anyway, enough of my un-warranted rant, I would really like to meet a buddy and just get out there and grow this community of outdoorsman so we can continue to protect our wild-lands and our rights.
As others said, you're in the right place (SCH) to meet other new hunters, and I'd also recommend joining the conservation groups like NWTF and CWA to find like-minded people.

The tricky thing about hunting is, since good spots here on public are hard earned, it's tough to find a seasoned hunter willing to take a newbie out. The exception is when both folks are exploring new areas together, so maybe put a feeler out there that you want a scouting partner.. you may get more success that route. And with dove opener coming up and euros a year-round option, splitting a gas tank to hit the IV is always a good way to gain hunting partners.

Absolutely they do. I have found and fished with many different people from diffrent site actually have some really good friends from it in my last 12 years of online forums. Oh but the question is hunting partners ofcourse it happens all the time. Me no I have my hunting partners 2 friends and a 2 cousins and we have been doing it together for long time when it comes to hunting I'm pretty old school and real tight lipped i have my same spots that i do year after year after year and plan to keep it that way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies guys! Everyone here seems like great people and I will be getting out in the field and putting in the time and effort to meet and connect with others! Thanks for all the recommendations as to the different organizations. I hope I don’t come off like a snowflake, I have no problem with putting in my time, in fact, I want to and am excited to! It’s weird how with all this modern tech and the ability to get a lot of information quickly actually seems to make things more complicated than it is. Thanks again!

I'm in the same boat kind of as @JLerch I kind of new, my neighbor has helped me a little.
He works Saturday's so they are normally off limits with him.
I joined NWTF, and I live in Anaheim, so driving there is a trek. I will try in August, the last meetings were around my anniversary and my wife's birthday.

Reactions: JLerch
you can also bring something to the table. Like i would take someone duck hunting on my private club with airboats for a pig hunt....... Hi @HATCHET1
Dude...ive got ducks too!! 3 miles of river...lots of walking..jump and pump stuff...let me know!!..that and 80inch forkys.. f those hogs!!! Gross!!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Dude...ive got ducks too!! 3 miles of river...lots of walking..jump and pump stuff...let me know!!..that and 80inch forkys.. f those hogs!!! Gross!!
What is this walking for ducks you speak of? I let the ducks fly to me!!!!!

@JLerch I'm right here with you. Just started hunting, and got pointed here by an acquaintance who hunts. He hunts turkey and has private land where they are plentiful. I'm trying to figure out how to get rabbits, so there is more of an exchange. I think when people see you want to contribute more than take they become more open. Also, sometimes you have to eat sh$t and pay dues until you don't. I started hunting because I wanted something to do with my sons after they leave the house, so my time horizon for success/competence may be longer than most. We just have to keep at it!

ProTip: don't eat the ground squirrels...no matter how appetizing they look

@JLerch I'm right here with you. Just started hunting, and got pointed here by an acquaintance who hunts. He hunts turkey and has private land where they are plentiful. I'm trying to figure out how to get rabbits, so there is more of an exchange. I think when people see you want to contribute more than take they become more open. Also, sometimes you have to eat sh$t and pay dues until you don't. I started hunting because I wanted something to do with my sons after they leave the house, so my time horizon for success/competence may be longer than most. We just have to keep at it!

ProTip: don't eat the ground squirrels...no matter how appetizing they look
Good stuff brother. I’m ready to pay dues! I’m going out to the San Gorgonio Wilderness this Sunday and get at those cottontails! Hope to see you in the field.

@JLerch Sounds good. Saturday I'm scouting trailheads north of Glendale. Let's DM each other if we find something. I'm using OnX, so that should make it easy to leave waypoints.

ya remember guys bunnies are early risers, and go in their burros at midday. then are out again in the evening.
look for high desert with low brush , with slightly open areas. good luck guys.
Got it. Thanks. I’ve been learning these bunnies habits this year by watching them on my 2 acre property in orange. In spring they were out all day eating the green vegetation and now that summer hit they are out early morning and then not again until later when the sun is on its downturn to the West.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu