Dove reports?

Our group limited by 8am in the Yuma area. Interesting there were equal numbers of whitewings and mourning dove, yet 90% of all the doves harvested were big and mature . Makes me question the reports of a large hatch ?

Reactions: Koi00 and Wildgame
IV harvest...
4ccbf829adf6581bb5cdca4cbafd94a0.jpg
ac7439619b4258ad99dc4b42b8274b59.jpg

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Good lord you guys did better than us. El Centro was crazy slow this year

Mixed reviews for my group. Hunted 4 different spots on opener & 1 spot on Monday morning. Slow compared to past openers with longer gaps between flights. Got a Grand Slam pretty early.20240901_111200.jpg20240902_175345.jpg

Our birds were small. Got a limit of whitewings on Monday which I haven't done in a long time. Most still had egg shell on their beaks.

Mixed reviews for my group. Hunted 4 different spots on opener & 1 spot on Monday morning. Slow compared to past openers with longer gaps between flights. Got a Grand Slam pretty early.View attachment 62867View attachment 62868

Our birds were small. Got a limit of whitewings on Monday which I haven't done in a long time. Most still had egg shell on their beaks.
Yep my few WW were small too

Crap! What’s the story behind the window mishap Steve?

kevin,

The vehicle was parked about 70 yds from me...I needed one more bird...Josh was done...#15 comes winging in, but is crossing from right to left in front of the car...It was real low to the ground and I let it pass by at about 20 yds...I shoot and #15 goes down...Josh standing beside me says, "I think you just shot out your back window"...Sure enough, I could see it gone...There are only 2 other marks on the side near that window...Just goes to show, that even a small #7 pellet has enough zip to do damage...I guess they were flyers....... :confused:

ps....#15 was an expensive dove...$375.00..........:joy:

kevin,

The vehicle was parked about 70 yds from me...I needed one more bird...Josh was done...#15 comes winging in, but is crossing from right to left in front of the car...It was real low to the ground and I let it pass by at about 20 yds...I shoot and #15 goes down...Josh standing beside me says, "I think you just shot out your back window"...Sure enough, I could see it gone...There are only 2 other marks on the side near that window...Just goes to show, that even a small #7 pellet has enough zip to do damage...I guess they were flyers....... :confused:

ps....#15 was an expensive dove...$375.00..........:joy:
That sucks. At least you have one more story to tell. Ever think about writing a book? I bet you could fill volumes with stories of hunting, fishing, shooting gone wrong. A few years ago my daughter comes in from the front porch at night freaked out about a menacing rat in the ivy. Being the Dad, the family protector, I grab a BB gun and get to work. I shot a little high and heard “clink”. Uh Oh. Put a hole in the neighbors window. Pretty embarrassing when I went over to fess up. My daughter loves to re tell that one.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu