Dove season coming up....... where's the ammo?

Again you are going to see an increase in prices because of the cost of materials, fuel etc. You cant pump trillions of dollars into the economy that you don't have and not expect to see inflation. Likewise you can't shut down oil pipelines etc and expect fuel prices to stay the same. Trucking and material prices have literally doubled for me since January and I just keep passing that onto my customers. Same thing with ammo manufactures and price.

Realize that if you are holding cash you are losing 1-2% a month right now to inflation.

Something to think about gas is up over a $1 a gallon since January. Figure out how much fuel you consume a week on average then multiply that x 52 weeks? That stimulus money is really paying off lol.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”​

― Benjamin Franklin

Again you are going to see an increase in prices because of the cost of materials, fuel etc. You cant pump trillions of dollars into the economy that you don't have and not expect to see inflation. Likewise you can't shut down oil pipelines etc and expect fuel prices to stay the same. Trucking and material prices have literally doubled for me since January and I just keep passing that onto my customers. Same thing with ammo manufactures and price.

Realize that if you are holding cash you are losing 1-2% a month right now to inflation.

Something to think about gas is up over a $1 a gallon since January. Figure out how much fuel you consume a week on average then multiply that x 52 weeks? That stimulus money is really paying off lol.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”​

― Benjamin Franklin
agreed but steel is still readily available just higher price per pound

I have said it before, I believe that many Forces would like and benefit if Hunting and Sport Shooting in the U.S. became like in Europe; a rich man's sport. It's been heading in that direction for years with the increasing costs of private land hunting and such. Eventually with the cost of ammo, regular folks won't be able to Trap/Skeet shoot on a regular basis. The West is lucky because there is public land to hunt and shoot on but that to could change in the future (probably in the works) .

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I have said it before, I believe that many Forces would like and benefit if Hunting and Sport Shooting in the U.S. became like in Europe; a rich man's sport. It's been heading in that direction for years with the increasing costs of private land hunting and such. Eventually with the cost of ammo, regular folks won't be able to Trap/Skeet shoot on a regular basis. The West is lucky because there is public land to hunt and shoot on but that to could change in the future (probably in the works) .
yes I really agree

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
lets use this premise, the government comes to your factory and say's you must reduce the shipments, are only allowed this amount of ammo shipments, and you have to keep your mouth shut or else.
like we have not seen this before.

lets use this premise, the government comes to your factory and say's you must reduce the shipments, are only allowed this amount of ammo shipments, and you have to keep your mouth shut or else.
like we have not seen this before.
The 2a groups are some of the most vocal in the nation. Is it possible? Sure. This ain’t the problem though. It’s basic economics that’s the problem.

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
I have access to all the AA hulls a person could want. Just nothing to go in them. I got 1000 for my friend, he has shot but no primers or powder.

we could ague this all day. time will tell and I will leave at that. if a customer come to me and says I now need 20% increase in in production, we order all the materials and if I have to order a mill run. and stock it so there is ample of raw material to meet my customers needs, 45 years of doing this.

no it is not readily available that is the issue. I just got notified that all of my duct sealing products are two months out because there is a shortage of polymer. Shotgun shells are made of polymer! Everything is upside down right now.
I'm with Drew, things that were taking 2 weeks for me to get are now taking 3 months, and that's hard to recover from when you can't get out in front of it.

Reactions: TRICER
I'm a newbie and I am going to be honest, even though some people will be pissed off. Part of the ammo shortage is due to guys like me. I have absolutely no faith at all that either political party will solve the nation's financial or social problems and I am absolutely positive that neither political party will make life easier for hunters. Like it or not, we are number one on the Endangered Species list. Because of my advanced age, I figure that I have another 5 or 6 or 7 years of hunting left. I figure that I'll go through maybe 10 boxes of non-lead shotshells---upland, waterfowl, and turkey---per year. That means I'll need somewhere around 1200 to 2000 shells. I have about 750 steel shells now, about 20 pounds of steel shot, and about 10 pounds of bismuth shot. Plenty of primers and powder. But I'll still need another 1000 shells and/or a lot more reloading components. If I go to Cabela's or Turner's or wherever and they have a couple cases of shotshells that I can use, I'll buy them all, on the spot. I know that makes it harder for other people, but ammo is so hard to find that when you do find it, you'd better jump on it.

I was in Avon, CO a month ago and went to Walmart to pick up ammo. That's where I always buy ammo and they usually have a ton of it. This time there was no ammo, no guns, nada. Salesperson told me that the Walmart there will no longer sell any ammo or firearms. The other Walmarts throughout the state will also soon no longer sell ammo or guns.

I will bet anyone on this forum that in the very near future CA will do everything possible to prevent ammo sales completely and the sale of reloading components to CA residents.

By the way, friends in the Kalispell, MT area tell me that the Cabela's ammo department is full of empty shelves. No ammo in Montana?

mag1 true, I have being obtaining quotes from suppliers for a long time, part of being in this business is to get the lead time and and cost and order and anticipate the market.
sure covid bullshit has slowed things down, and it is a new challenge. and lead times are longer. but instead ordering enough for a lot of parts, if budget allows order 6 months of raw material as not to stop your customer assembly lines, that is bad news. I under stand covid has put every company in backlog, but then one has to quickly do work arounds. ordering enough for one lot is not enough.
a job shop vs a high volume manufacturing, is run totally different. a high volume manufacture has to order thousands of pounds of material, because they make thousands of parts, and their machines make thousands of parts, a standard job shop ha a volume of hundred parts, a large high volume manufacturing can be as high 100000 parts. that means time in seconds not in minutes or hours. ammo manufacturers are high volume , and not a job shop, they make the same product over and over again. a low volume shop will be more diverse and can produce many different configurations. for a high volume manufacture, like screws, bolts, nuts, rivets, bullets can and does stock thousands or millions of pounds of material.

We are under alotments you cannot horde material or stock up. They will not sell you more than a set amount even if you wanted it. One of the biggest issues is China is buying 75% of our overseas steel. China is a lot closer to ship to from Turkey and Korea two of the worlds major steel countries so they are cutting the USA off and sending it to China.

I purchase around 5 million lbs of steel a year trust me when I say there is a steel shortage and it is not getting better anytime soon.

Reactions: Papadeuce
We're talking about steel shotshells. For the heck of it, I just went on the Kalispell, Montana Cabela's/Bass Pro website. Checked for any 12 gauge lead shotshells. First dozen or so, the cheapies under $10, are all out of stock. Checked more. No lead or steel in 12 gauge. Truduct clearly knows what he is talking about re: steel shortages, but what would be causing lead ammo shortages? I can buy tons of lead shot thru Zip Metals and other sites [or at least could a couple of weeks ago] and there seems to be no shortage of lead fishing weights. I now have a hard time finding hulls, wads, powder, and no primers anywhere. If Cabela's can't get ammo, then where are the ammo manufacturers sending it? Is the military or law enforcement buying more? Have ammo manufacturers cut back on production? I don't get it. Please educate me.

ya thank Biden and company for that, closing down our steel mills, what are you producing that requires that much steel. and what type steel. are you job shop, medium or high volume manufacture.
are you a sheet metal fabricator, or machine shop or both. Times change, but I being storing material for years. and never had an issue.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu