Duck loads

Are any Walmarts still selling ammo? Is it just the super stores?
@SurfNHuntSD , I don't think any Walmarts are. At least in San Diego. I asked an employee why they stopped and he mentioned a rumor about Walmart taking on a big time investor and cutting ammo sales was part of the deal. Not sure of the truth, but the name of the investor they dropped would make sense.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
A little late but had some phone issues after Sundays hunt..should have been more prepared to get as wet I did..phone wouldn't charge so couldn't get pics until my new phone came in today.

Drove out to Wister on Saturday night and arrived around 1am. Got an extra hr to nap before reservations were called because of the time change which was nice. This being my first time duck hunting I had no idea what to expect. Thankfully @SurfNHuntSD was up for some duck hunting and met me out there. By 3:22am we picked the blind we wanted and went to work. By 4am I was nice and soaked...I was carrying 2 dozen decoys and my gun along while wearing a pack and never walking in knee deep muck water I took a spill backwards but thankfully my decoys kept me from going under..gathered myself up and made it across to our blind then got to work setting up our blinds and putting out our decoys. Between the 2 of us we had around 40 decoys out.

20201101_090057.jpg

The shots started and birds started to fly but they were all flying super high up heading towards the sea. Had a pair come in early but they come in as fast as they go. Jason spotted the next low flyer coming in from my left and he gave me the go ahead and I followed and took a shot and dropped my first duck at around 7am. It was a lone female green wing teal. Quickly learned why guys have retrievers...some spots got almost chest deep. It was a slow morning and not much action for another hr or so until another signal bird is coming straight to our decoys..I stand and take the shot and it goes down but I realize I wing shot it and had to take 2 more shots to put it down while hoping to not take out some decoys at the same time. The little action we had died down the next couple hrs so we called it.

20201101_083120.jpg
20201101_070606.jpg

As expected Sunday was super slow for everyone..out of 61 hunters 54 ducks were shot and 7 coots..with an average of .89 ducks per person. Super thankful I got to land my first birds and again this experience. Hats off again to @SurfNHuntSD for joining and helping me along the way.

I went home and cleaned up the ducks. The birds were small but I was excited to cook and try duck for the first time and so was my 9yr old daughter. I had a jar of some duck fat so I put some in a pan, seasoned the breast and cooked them to medium. Came out super tasty and my daughter is asking when I am going to get some more. She wasn't happy with the amount I had and insisted I needed to go get some more..oh boy..

1357599490.jpg
1424083127.jpg

Made some sushi to go along with it because my wife was craving it..not a bad meal!

611370057.jpg

A little late but had some phone issues after Sundays hunt..should have been more prepared to get as wet I did..phone wouldn't charge so couldn't get pics until my new phone came in today.

Drove out to Wister on Saturday night and arrived around 1am. Got an extra hr to nap before reservations were called because of the time change which was nice. This being my first time duck hunting I had no idea what to expect. Thankfully @SurfNHuntSD was up for some duck hunting and met me out there. By 3:22am we picked the blind we wanted and went to work. By 4am I was nice and soaked...I was carrying 2 dozen decoys and my gun along while wearing a pack and never walking in knee deep muck water I took a spill backwards but thankfully my decoys kept me from going under..gathered myself up and made it across to our blind then got to work setting up our blinds and putting out our decoys. Between the 2 of us we had around 40 decoys out.

View attachment 46628

The shots started and birds started to fly but they were all flying super high up heading towards the sea. Had a pair come in early but they come in as fast as they go. Jason spotted the next low flyer coming in from my left and he gave me the go ahead and I followed and took a shot and dropped my first duck at around 7am. It was a lone female green wing teal. Quickly learned why guys have retrievers...some spots got almost chest deep. It was a slow morning and not much action for another hr or so until another signal bird is coming straight to our decoys..I stand and take the shot and it goes down but I realize I wing shot it and had to take 2 more shots to put it down while hoping to not take out some decoys at the same time. The little action we had died down the next couple hrs so we called it.

View attachment 46629
View attachment 46630

As expected Sunday was super slow for everyone..out of 61 hunters 54 ducks were shot and 7 coots..with an average of .89 ducks per person. Super thankful I got to land my first birds and again this experience. Hats off again to @SurfNHuntSD for joining and helping me along the way.

I went home and cleaned up the ducks. The birds were small but I was excited to cook and try duck for the first time and so was my 9yr old daughter. I had a jar of some duck fat so I put some in a pan, seasoned the breast and cooked them to medium. Came out super tasty and my daughter is asking when I am going to get some more. She wasn't happy with the amount I had and insisted I needed to go get some more..oh boy..

View attachment 46631
View attachment 46632

Made some sushi to go along with it because my wife was craving it..not a bad meal!

View attachment 46633
Nice shooting Jorge.. the few (couple) shots you had, had to make 'em count. There'll be more action down there soon enough.

Haha thanks! Went down more then once..on my way out guess the lord wanted to make sure I was good and baptized!

I keep replaying it all in my head and can't wait to get back out again.

George,

Next time bring a walking stick (old ski pole is ideal)….Keeping your balance in that slop is the key....Decoy sled is a big help too.

.019.JPG

Last edited:
I have the perfect walking stick for that too..next time I will be way better prepared. Those sleds sure are slick.. Oh and I need a waterproof gun bag also!

George,

Over the years, we've all tried to find a better mouse trap...Lots of very cool stuff these days for the waterfowler...Lots of the stuff can be made or bought at reasonable prices...Tanglefree makes the best waterfowl gun cases IMO...Metal buckle and the Velcro closure runs the length of the gun case (very important)...I have a couple of decoy carts you could have with a small sled.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu