Fall turkey hunters please stop.....so we have an awesome spring season........

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
I've seen so many turkey hunters this fall it is crazy.

One group when in to hunt at 2pm 3 guys. One with bow, one with shoty, and one with an air rifle.
One father God bless his sole, had 3 kids with blaze orange on hunting from tree stands.

I've seen decoys used, calling like it's spring and even pushing them like deer.

I don't get it.....it's a f*cking turkey.

The only fun in turkey hunting is fooling a big tom with your calling.....and even that is over rated...... sometimes

UGH!

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE don't shoot fall hens...We are just now seeing some recruitment benefits from the last 2 springs...If we're ever going to get back to the numbers we had 6-10 years ago, we need to discourage fall hunting...And springtime, consider only shooting one jake.

Used to see them by the hundreds in Mesa Grande ten years ago before the drought hit and used to let folks hunt them at my ranch because you could not put a dent in the populatioon. Had to put an end to that when the numbers fell. Leave them alone for now and with good weather over the next few years they will return.

Maybe stop hating on other legal hunters and try calling/lobbying DFW and change the law/seasons to your liking. I'm sorry but it’s maddening to me to read and listen to people bitch and complain about someone participating in a legal activity. If you have a problem with it take it up with DFW, not legal hunters.

Maybe stop hating on other legal hunters and try calling/lobbying DFW and change the law/seasons to your liking. I'm sorry but it’s maddening to me to read and listen to people bitch and complain about someone participating in a legal activity. If you have a problem with it take it up with DFW, not legal hunters.
Your right, it's totally legal to hunt turkeys right now and I don't think anybody is hating, just stating fact. Are numbers in so cal are way down from there glory days and we as hunters can do are part to help them. It's a numbers game 1 hen will lay 12 eggs a year and if you shoot her the population will take a hit .

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless your at grannys where the turkeys acost the little old lady by stealing her cat food off the front porch on a daily basis!! Poor cats gotta eat too!! Them yard birds dont get a pass....but then again..she lives nonwhere near the 16 and there are turkeys for days in her part of the state...Kapoow!

Larry uses a reaping decoy in the fall, packing that .380 heat...
I miss Larry.
Dude..i miss Larry also..i think he hunts girl turkeys in the 16. Carrys the 380 as back up incase an angry bird comes a pecking or attacks with those sharp talons...sorry Larry..you know im funnin..hope you are well..

Reactions: QuePasaJames
To me this applicable to the seasoned hunter who gets birds every year...you know who you are, you hunt private land or if its public you got the area dialed in...so kudos to you for not chasing the birds in the fall.

Turkey is not my cup of tea, but as a new hunter if and when I see them and if they are in season, I would try to harvest one...how could I not. I certainly would not go out of my way to hunt them hard though.

This is a never winning argument. Same with fishing..catch and release or keep, take the smaller ones or the bigger ones..what's better for the spicies?...bla bla bla bla. Being there done that.

It is my opinion you stick to the law, responsibility, and ethics....You do you.

It is also a fact that if there is no Turkey hunting at all for a few years there would be a lot more birds around...so...then what? Just saying.

Last edited:
PLEASE don't shoot fall hens...We are just now seeing some recruitment benefits from the last 2 springs...If we're ever going to get back to the numbers we had 6-10 years ago, we need to discourage fall hunting...And springtime, consider only shooting one jake.
Steve, I'm wondering if there could be some variation to the general rule here. For example, what if you find a very healthy flock on public land (not sure what exactly would be considered healthy, but maybe 20 birds?). Would you feel comfortable in the Fall shooting Jakes or Toms in that situation? Or even with hens, is there a certain flock size where you would feel ok shooting a hen in the Fall? Or would you just avoid it all together to give the best chance possible for the numbers to grow?

Reactions: Svenny

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu