Fall turkey hunters please stop.....so we have an awesome spring season........

Your right, it's totally legal to hunt turkeys right now and I don't think anybody is hating, just stating fact. Are numbers in so called are way down from there glory days and we as hunters can do are part to help them. It's a numbers game 1 hen will lay 12 eggs a year and if you shoot her the population will take a hit .
I completely understand the frustrations that come with game/hunter management. I too am no exception to having unreasonable knee-jerk reactions to these things sometimes, we're all passionate about it because we love it right? I get it. But to post frustrations with turkey hunters while you are turkey hunting is quite hypocritical at the very least. Game management in this state is so poor it's laughable. But I do know that if we want to actually change game management that attacking or threatening legal hunters way of doing things is not the way to go about it. It will further create a divide amongst us and get nowhere closer to the goals we all look for.

Steve, I'm wondering if there could be some variation to the general rule here. For example, what if you find a very healthy flock on public land (not sure what exactly would be considered healthy, but maybe 20 birds?). Would you feel comfortable in the Fall shooting Jakes or Toms in that situation? Or even with hens, is there a certain flock size where you would feel ok shooting a hen in the Fall? Or would you just avoid it all together to give the best chance possible for the numbers to grow?

1st off, no one is attacking anyone...We (NWTF) are asking folks to refrain from shooting fall turkeys...Yes, it's legal and the reason it's legal in SoCal is because there were complaints about turkeys being relocated to San Diego Co...Originally, there was NO fall season in San Diego (DFG knew to get them established shooting hens would hurt)...Then DFW in their infinite wisdom decided to change the law to a 1 bird, 2 week season (to coincide with the rest of the state)...Then because the greenies don't like NON-NATIVE species...They increased the season to a month and 2 birds...We need to police or in this case, manage our own, because DFW won't...The more birds we have, the more they range into public lands.

IEC,

There are some really healthy flocks (100+) in San Diego Co...Killing birds out of these flocks would certainly not hurt...I can tell you one of the places that doesn't allow fall hunting is MCC (Vista Irrigation Dist)...And they probably have the most solid population.

ps...San Bernardino NF got basically the same amount of turkeys transplanted (293) as we did in San Diego Co...Our birds boomed (no fall season)...Where as their birds lasted about 5 years with a fall season (there's some other factors as well)...Pretty much simple math...You kill the producers, you limit the growth.

I my self would have a hard time not harvesting a fall bird. That being said when I Hear/Read the reasoning behind not harvesting fall birds, Sure does make the case for a guy that doesn’t hunt turkeys and has vary little knowledge of the situation to restrain.

I also find it hard to believe that runnin my dog for quail Am I going to run across a hen, Jake or Tom that is going to get close enough for my to even think about throwing the old magic BB it’s way is an outlandish thought.

all this dialogue is awesome.

Kill all the jakes and toms you want during the fall just don't touch the hens and everything will be fine as far reproduction goes. Tom's just like buck's can breed multiple animals. IMO leave the females alone and have at it killing the love struck males and all will be well...

I say go for it, a22 or g13. I haven't seen a CA dfw sex ratio estimate, but Colorado aims for 30 bucks to 100 does. Idaho is similar. Where I hunt in d16 the ratio is more like 1 or 2 to 10.

north sandiego county, and I’m talking North of hwy 78, probly 1 buck to every 3000 does.....

the way I see it D16 should be in September.

Im curious to know what some of you think about having a doe season G13 tag?
I'm no biologist.. I think the G13 tag is fine but the D16 tag should be reduced in number from 3,000. They say our deer population is stable if not slightly decreasing, so the current numbers seem to be fine. But sure would be nice to lower the hunter count out there.

I'll mention MCC again...They do NOT allow any does for G-13 or A-22 tags...Their acreage with the possible exception of Cuyamaca State Park has the best buck to doe ratio and the most deer overall.

I am way more conservative in my old age, but IMO, there's way, way too many doe tags given out for this county (D-16)...And 3,000 buck tags has to be nothing more than a money maker for the state.

I'll mention MCC again...They do NOT allow any does for G-13 or A-22 tags...Their acreage with the possible exception of Cuyamaca State Park has the best buck to doe ratio and the most deer overall.

I am way more conservative in my old age, but IMO, there's way, way too many doe tags given out for this county (D-16)...And 3,000 buck tags has to be nothing more than a money maker for the state.
Agreed! Not only that but Doe tags just gives some of these guys not playing by the rules to poach. Talked to a guy yesterday when I got back to the jeep. Said he had a G13 tag. I mentioned that doe season ended two weeks ago and his response was “ I’ll take my chances “
Smh

• Angry
Reactions: ilovesprig
Filled my G13 tag this year but played by the rules. Did that on opening weekend, saw a shit load of does the rest of the season but could never find the buck. We had 2 D16 tags go un filled and filled the G13.

I'm no biologist.. I think the G13 tag is fine but the D16 tag should be reduced in number from 3,000. They say our deer population is stable if not slightly decreasing, so the current numbers seem to be fine. But sure would be nice to lower the hunter count out there.
Jason, less hunting pressure would help certain areas for sure. Recently someone suggested a split rifle season could reduce pressure. All interesting dialog.

Agreed! Not only that but Doe tags just gives some of these guys not playing by the rules to poach. Talked to a guy yesterday when I got back to the jeep. Said he had a G13 tag. I mentioned that doe season ended two weeks ago and his response was “ I’ll take my chances “
Smh
1-800-334-CalTIP. License plate number. Photo.

Reactions: Cali Ridge Runner

And only one D-16 per person....Although, most the guys I know that buy 2, rarely fill both and hunt all private.

Long shot here!! Would any of you fellow SCH ‘ers be willing to take a noob to turkey out this spring or willing to give some detailed pointers please DM me. I have been hankering to get at some of these birds for for a good time now.

Here’s a quick comment on G13. I didn’t have one this year and spent many days watching two doe during D16. In the first week of season, one of the doe boldly walked right toward me from 70 yards to 50 before veering off. Another day I bumped her and she went 30 yards then starred at me for 5 minutes. That’s when her spotted fawn brushed by me at 10 yards to catch up with momma. Bumped the fawn again later in the season. I don’t think they moved more than 300 yards the entire season. The other adult doe was also around the entire season, but would spook at 300+ yards if she sensed me. So there was a definite difference in behavior between the doe/fawn pair and the other doe. I’ll have a G13 for the ‘21 season, but will try to confirm a doe doesnt have a fawn before I take her.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Long shot here!! Would any of you fellow SCH ‘ers be willing to take a noob to turkey out this spring or willing to give some detailed pointers please DM me. I have been hankering to get at some of these birds for for a good time now.

C-13,

A good start would be to attend a NWTF meeting (4th Tuesday of the month)...I would say come to the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up, but I think it will take an act of God for to get the City of San Diego to allow it...400+ folks with turkey hunting seminars, calls for sale, and draws for hunting on city property.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu