Fall Turkey Public Announcement

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
Hi everyone, with fall turkey season opening tomorrow I would like to remind those who plan on hunting San Diego county that our turkey population is still at a critical low. That being said I would ask those hunting to pass on hens and young birds. We don't have any rains coming in for awhile and the survival of our current population is the key to continue having a spring turkey hunt in Southern California. I understand having a wild turkey for the holidays is a big thing but Ralphs has an over abundance of butter balls. I hope everyone has a safe successful season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus 1........Please please, let the hens & jakes pass this fall......That means not shooting them on the flush as well......Our local turkeys are in dire straits......If we lose them, that's it......California will never allow a replant or reintroduction ever again (non native species).......:worried:

DFG had no fall season in San Diego Co. when turkeys were 1st introduced here.....They flourished.....They then decided there were enough for a fall season.....They even raised the limit from one to two and lengthened the season from 2 weeks to a month after a few years.

And now that they're doing poorly due to a extended drought, they will not stop the fall season here.....They're a non native as you're aware.....DFW IMO could care less about their existence.

So as sportsman, we need to police ourselves......Sorry for rant, but I truly love seeing, spring hunting this magnificent bird, and hearing that thunderous gobble......:heart:

.048.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Matagi and Gspman
Good case in point would be San Bernardino. They used to have a great flock of merriams up there until a wild fire went through and destroys a lot of their habitat. They began rebounding, but pretty much everyone and their grandmothers were fall hunting and shooting hens. Now there's no longer any real huntable population of merriams up there. I have heard stories of small flocks in the lower parts, but I don't think there's been a sighting in their original location in over 10 years. Really sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Public land, private land, dessert, farm land. I'm from Washington and I haven't seen a pheasant forever let alone shot one

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu