Finally Found One

krist003

Nov 15, 2017
I have been scouring my onX maps for public land turkey spots and one of the spots I checked out this weekend paid off. I first came across some real faint tracks and started to get all excited, then ten minutes later I heard him gobbling his head off.

I got a vantage point so I could tell where the sound was coming from then headed his way. I bumped him around 60 yards because I thought he was much further. Strange how his gobble sounded like he was about 150 yards away.

Gonna try and throw a plan together to get him, but I hope there are not a bunch of other hunters there come opener. Is turkey season usually as busy as deer season? Or half as busy, etc.? I’m still new to the turkey hunting thing, but have been deer hunting a long time.

I’m pretty stoked though. What a cool animal to see up close in his element. I did not see any other turkeys except him.

.989F71C4-033D-4893-9949-069BC3CBAF89.png

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks like a cool bird. Turkey season just as busy as deer season on the opener I think. FYI I had a good gobbler before the youth opener, took her out and nothing but a good frost.
Great time with her just nothing.

That's a great "long"....Keep your spot close to the vest and get in there early on Saturday....Turkey opener can be pretty busy.

ps....Lots of turkey movement right now (spring dispersal)….He may not be there Saturday, but other boys may take his place.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu