First Archery Buck

Snake Charmer,
I bought the J34 pack about 2 seasons ago and I absolutely love it. I don"t think I will ever go back to carrying my gun over the shoulder. Having the Gun weight centered on your back while hiking around seems to make a big difference in comfort. I have also used it a couple times for some overnight trips and it works out great. I have boned out the last 2 San Diego deer and 1 from Idaho with weights up to 80 lbs and this thing stays comfortable for the walk out. Well worth the money in my opinion. The pack expands quite a bit to make room for the meat.

Attachments

• 2011 deer hunting 049.JPG
    2011 deer hunting 049.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
I agree with the gun in the scabbard on the back, its much easier to walk and climb and not have to balance the rifle on a sling over the shoulder. The only down side I have experienced with that is in tight terrain with overhead stuff and you are ducking and stooping to get through you will hang up if you dont pay attention to what you are doing.

I didnt' know that Mike posted this, but as requested here's my story. This wasn't my first archery buck, I have shot several small bucks in Kibab, but this was my first SD buck and definately my best so far. The Friday evening before the hunt I contimplated even going, I knew there was a snow storm brewing and wasn't sure on the weather. I checked the forecast and saw that it was supposed to clear by morning. I had a babysitter and a hall pass for the whole day, which is unusual. I started heading up the hill and was thankful for 4-wheel drive and fresh skins. As I crested the top of the mountain I saw the brush blowing and figured like usual I'd be hunting in the wind, no fun, but I continued anyway. I hadnt' been up the mountain for some time but was figuring the deer would be up and moving if it was clear. I hunt on public land and don't always sit in my own stand. I actually don't even know whose stand it was but I figure, even when I leave my own, that if you're gonna leave your stuff it's free game to sit in. As I walked to the first stand around 6:00 I could make out a few deer bedded down in the little bit of light at this time. I got in the stand and figured they would be moving at first light but no luck. At around 8:00 some deer moved right in front of me but no shooters. I stayed in the stand until noon, that's right, long time. I went to my friend's house and had lunch and a few beers and was contemplating blowing off hunting the evening but am glad I did. I got back up the hill around 4:20 and was in a different stand about 70yrds away from the first by 4:30. The weather was kink of shity, low clouds blowing through and I didn't think much was going to happen. I soon found myself screwing around on my phone to pass the time. All of a sudden I notice some movement to my right and look over, it's a doe, good thing because I would have blown that. I put my phone away and ranged the opening the doe went pass 45yrds. About 5 minutes later I notice some more movement, it's another doe, but wait, there's a nice deer pushing it. It's gotta be a buck. I put my glasses on it and yep, by far the biggest deer I've seen while hunting. I stand up as they go behind the first oak tree and get ready. I notice that there is a straggler fawn behind the buck. I notice that my heart is beating out of my chest and take a few deep breathes to calm myself.

As the buck goes behind the second tree I draw and wait. Seemed like forever but he didn't come out so I drew down. Finally he comes out so I draw again, he only needs to go about ten feet and I'll have my shot. As he is walking to the opening the fawn jumps right in front of him. Shit! So I draw down again, only this time the doe looks my way. I'm thinking I have blown it but I freeze and she turns away and drops her ears. The fawn clears, I draw put my 40 yrd pin on the spot and let it fly! I could see the impact and my arrow as the buck ran away. I thought good angle, should be done deal. I gathered up my things, lowered my bow and slowly walked over where the shot was. I didn't imediately see blood, but as I turned to the path of the deer I soon saw major blood. I soon realized that I finally got a buck and could quiet my critics(wife). Thank God! I slowly got on the blood trail and it didn't take long to realize he was toast. I'm not sure if it was just because of the snow but it seemed like this deer bled gallons. Very cool. It took me about thirty minutes to find him, only because I didn't want to push it if my shot was poor, but when I finally got to him it was pretty clear that he didn't suffer. He went about 250 yrds and when I got to him his eyes were totally glazed over. I'm sorry if I'm dragging this on but it was a pretty big deal for me and writing about it is getting me fired up to go out this weekend again. If that was your stand, nice set up and you should hunt more often. Thanks. Anyway that's it and look for the novel this spring. Ha! I'll post pictures of him when I get him back from Mike Barrt,

Attachments

• IMAG0462.jpg
    IMAG0462.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
You were sitting in my stand :-X And you shot my buck ! :'(

Just kidding ! My spot's not that good.

I agree great story Matt, I love the excitement not only in your words but I know how awesome this was for you, I wish I was there that day.

The one thing you did not tell everyone Matt is that he shoots a Mathews Bow and with a finger tab, Old School. Awesome.

Great Job Bro.....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu