First Dove Hunting Gun and Location?

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
Since the opener is almost here I thought it would be interesting to ask everyone what gun they first hunted with and what was the first place they hunted. The first gun I hunted doves with was a 410 Mossberg 500 when I was 12. We hunted in one of the fields around Niland. One year I’m going to take the 410 out again just for fun, maybe it will be this year if I find some shells for it this weekend.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Jc Higgins pump 20...The great state of HAWAII 7 or 8 years old...still have that gun and plan on using it next week!!! Oh boy..its dove season folks!! Almost.

Jc Higgins pump 20...The great state of HAWAII 7 or 8 years old...still have that gun and plan on using it next week!!! Oh boy..its dove season folks!! Almost.
That’s pretty cool, not many hunters can say they dove hunted in Hawaii!

single shot H&R exposed hammer 20ga with stick ejector. doves in mexicali . later that year Just east of san quintin mexico. shot my first quail right on the ground age 7, 1977 :)

Last edited:
Spent some of the best years of my life as a young hatchet on those islands..true sportsman paradise...mouflan sheep..feral sheep..feral goats..pigs..axis deer..blacktail deer..and way to many bird species to count..
We had a BIRD season where all game birds were fair game..flashlights..dogs..pigs..and knives..sink or swim...good stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter527
A 20 ga. ranger s x s for a shotgun and it was either in the I.V. or on a cattle ranch in the hills behind San Clemente. The ranch I remember being positioned in a corner of a corral and under the eyes of a dad and granddad. At the ranch, as a preteen I was handed a square back Remington 12 and high brass shells. When the damn thing went full auto I'd pick myself up and brush off. It kinda made a young smart mouth humble.

My great grandfather single shot 410 still have that gun killed lots of birds with it

1977 12 years old, single shot 12G. A field around polo verde. My brother 8 years old and i had to share the gun.

I went on my first ever hunt last year (antelope in WY). I was invited to hunt dove with the same friend this year, so I am heading out to Brawley for my first dove hunt. Picked up a Browning BPS Field in Mossy Oak camo, 12 ga. I am looking for forward to the new experience.

1974, Halfway betwen Victortville and Bastow on old highway 66 near a town called Helendale and living on an alfafa ranch and 15 years old. No hunters in my family so I had to figure it out on my own. Killed the first few doves with a Remington model 700 in 222 by shooting the heads off of them (no license or knowledge of that). My uncle who owned the ranch witnessed it and bought me a 20 guage Remington 1100 with a 26" barrel and I killed hundred's after that for the next few years until I moved back to San Diego to go to college. License's ? limits ? Seasons? I had no knowledge of that and my folks got sick of eating game meat because we also had waterfowl ( Honkers and ducks). P.S. Still have the 1100 and the 222 and will never sell them. Can't tell you how many coyotes I killed with those rigs..hundreds..

single shot 410 out towards Yuma Brocks Observatory. Total of 2 dove with my Grandpa, best hunting day ever.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu