First time hunting with beginner luck.

Hotchkiss

Oct 19, 2011
Anaheim
Good day everyone. I have just registered as new member and would like to say hello to everyone.

I have been shooting clays in the past about 10 years ago but never have chance to go real hunting until this past Saturday at Quail opener. Got invited to go hunting with my friend Edwin and Kevin last week and found out that I need to get into class to get my hunter education certificate to be able to purchase my hunting license. Done online course on Tuesday and attend 4 hours instructor class om Wednesday to just in time for my license.
Friday night after work , We drove almost 4 and half hours to somewhere in Kern county ( Not sure where I went since I am not familier that area) got up at 5:30 AM and arrived at our hunting ground. I was so excited but not sure what to do next and what should I look for. ( Been study online for Qauil but never seem one in real) Edwin and Kevin was so nice to had me follow them and watch what they did. Watch them shot couple of birds and know what am I going after. Fire couple shots but get nothing out of it but poff of feather. lol..Those birds does flying fast.
Edwin and Kevin tough me to point at bird instead of shooting a bit ahead like clay. Finally got my first bird and I was happy.

Edwin got his limit and was nice to walk with me to show me around until I got my limit.
IMAG2516.jpg
It was lots of fun and I guess I can say it was my beginner of luck . Going to quit fishing for a while and order my whole suit of hunting cloth for my new hobbi. Looking forward to have chance to meet up some of you folks in the near future. Have a happy hunting season to you all.
IMAG2525.jpg
Ken

Way to go man ! And welcome to the forum. A limit of quail on your first time out is awesome.

With your beginners luck you could win the new rifle in the big buck contest.

Thanks Buckhunter. I do have couple of rifles but I have never been out to hunt big game yet. I sure I will need to learn more and get used to in the feild and wild. That contest really sounds interested and should be very fun to do. Just ordered my hunting cloths and boots to gear up and will go out more this season. Lots of thing to learn on my list .^^

Ken

Congratulations Hotchkiss and welcome to the site. Your pictures of your quail hunt are awesome. Thanks for taking the time put them in your post. You seem enthusiastic...that is fantastic. I hope you have a great (and safe) hunting season. Feel free to ask any questions. We hope to see you on this site as much as possible.

John

Hotchkiss said:
Thanks Buckhunter. I do have couple of rifles but I have never been out to hunt big game yet. I sure I will need to learn more and get used to in the feild and wild. That contest really sounds interested and should be very fun to do. Just ordered my hunting cloths and boots to gear up and will go out more this season. Lots of thing to learn on my list .^^

Ken

Hey Ken, Hunting is so much fun and there are so many different kinds of hunting to try to master. The big buck contest has already started and the last day to enter is this Friday. It should be very entertaining to follow along in the forum and see who gets the next deer and who ends up winning the prizes and title at the end. Stay Tuned !

Thanks guys for the welcome. ^^ Sounds like I have found myself a big good hunting family. Looking forward to have chance to meeting you all and have good time hunting together.
This is to show you that I don't waste anything I have hunted and turn them into a great meal for the friends and family. ^^
securedownload.jpg

Ken

Nice work Ken. That looks really good. What time is lunch ?

Now how do you beat that? Fricassee quail and rabbit with basil. Yummy! Strong work Hotchkiss!

Hotchkiss welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first hunt, great job although I didn't see the rabbit on a cooking pan? Yea those guys are fast and delicious.... ;D

Good luck on your next hunt and keep posting your great stories and pictures.

Santiago

Thanks Santiago.. ^^. In fact. The cotton tail was also in the same Pan that I cook with quails. ;D . I turn around to get me another beer and come back. The plate was almost half empty. My three boys love them and can't stop eatting them. lol.
Gonna go back next Saturday to try again. ^^.

Ken

Way to go Hotchkiss! Welcome to the forum. I especially enjoyed the picture of your fixen's! Yum. Wish there was a smell key on my pc.

What kind of monster are you holding on your avatar picture ? wow! is that from Mexico?

Kung Pow Quail over rice. They don't sell that at Panda Express !

BuckHunter said:
Kung Pow Quail over rice. They don't sell that at Panda Express !

It is not from Mexico. We caught these big lobsters in Long Beach. Largest from last season was a 18.6 lbs male bug. This year so far we only found a 11 lbs female and was release back in the water. Me and 6 other friends diving to hunt these local lobsters. ^^
Ken

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu