Fishing Charter

It is a little early for the Yellows the ones around are a little deeper and they are small...wait a little if you can.
The YT are hit and miss right now. I just like to fish, so I go when I can go. Plus, I usually just stock up on rock fish between March and June for ceviche and fish tacos all summer. I've stopped chasing fish counts, because every day is different, even when the bite is on. My May is toast (daughter, wife and mom's bday and mothers day), so I booked a multi-day in early June. By then, weather and water temp should be good to go. Also have a private charter multi day booked for October. Probably fit in a couple more between June and Sept, but by Sept, archery season starts. This year will be busy for me so I get all the fishing in that I can.

Best YT fishing I ever had was down off Punta colonet. Boat limited in two hrs, with many lost. Average size was around 25 lbs. It got so crazy when we tried to drop down for bottom grabbers we had a hard time getting past the YT. I had a trip planned for tomorrow on the Tomahawk but, seas are 8' with 8 second intervals, 15 knot winds.

Best YT fishing I ever had was down off Punta colonet. Boat limited in two hrs, with many lost. Average size was around 25 lbs. It got so crazy when we tried to drop down for bottom grabbers we had a hard time getting past the YT. I had a trip planned for tomorrow on the Tomahawk but, seas are 8' with 8 second intervals, 15 knot winds.
I got lucky once on a half day boat , with seaforth, was many years ago, we had a crazy yellow tail bite. I had three rigs .
15lb, 20lb and 30 lb. All three rigs the line were wore out . Sacks full of poppers, 15 - 20 lb range.
Edit: it was el nino were warm water was pushed north from mexico

Last edited:
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Best day of yellowtail fishin' I've ever had was on the Royal Polaris in 1981 on the Uncle Sam Bank. We were fishing for Black Sea Bass. The yellows were so thick the oldtimers couldn't get their baits to the bottom for the sea bass. Me and my buddy were throwing iron on the bow and gaffing our own fish, 15#-30#. After about 30 fish (no limit) I went to the stern and dropped a yellowtail head and guts to the bottom and hooked a 200# Black Sea Bass. The old guys were pissed at the high school kid! After I landed the sea bass I went back to catching countless yellows. I used to love to fish... now I love to bowhunt... Ed FScreenshot_20210429-213738_Facebook.jpg

I was sporting pro staff gear at the time. A "Cooks Landing" shirt with a Sabre rods patch. I used to build rods for a couple local tackle shops at the time. I'm also wearing a SDSU Aztecs ball cap. My brother played football for the Aztecs at the time. Oh yeah, those are my Fontana High School "FOHI" tight white spring training shorts with #85 painted on. The shoes are the predecessor to Vans... the best I can recall is that they were called deck shoes and came in navy blue or white. Great memories from one pic. Ed F

Last edited:
One more piece of trivia for the few old timers on here.... on that trip Frank Lopreste was the captain, Steve Loomis was the 2nd, Tommy Rothery (owner of the Polaris Supreme) was a deckhand and Rollo Hyne was a deckhand (died on the RP playing with homemade fireworks).

I was also fortunate to fish on the Excel with Bill Poole when the boat was brand new. Bill was a huge big game hunter and on that trip he had about 15 of his hunting buddies from all over the world. I was in heaven... talking about hunting more than fishing.

Sorry for the rant... this thread sparked some great memories... Ed F

I was sporting pro staff gear at the time. A "Cooks Landing" shirt with a Sabre rods patch. I used to build rods for a couple local tackle shops at the time. I'm also wearing a SDSU Aztecs ball cap. My brother played football for the Aztecs at the time. Oh yeah, those are my Fontana High School "FOHI" tight white spring training shorts with #85 painted on. Great memories from one pic. Ed F
You were also sporting a hell of a stache for high school!! I'll be 33 on sunday and still waiting for mine to fill in! That's a hell of a fish tho and a great story!

O95 out of Helgens Oceanside Rick Owen's the boat and either goes after Blue fin or San Clemente 1 1/2 day

O95 out of Helgens Oceanside Rick Owen's the boat and either goes after Blue fin or San Clemente 1 1/2 day
Made many trips with Rick. Also had two
I have spent many nights on the 095. Rick is one of the good old guys. I even did two charters with the boat.

One more piece of trivia for the few old timers on here.... on that trip Frank Lopreste was the captain, Steve Loomis was the 2nd, Tommy Rothery (owner of the Polaris Supreme) was a deckhand and Rollo Hyne was a deckhand (died on the RP playing with homemade fireworks).

I was also fortunate to fish on the Excel with Bill Poole when the boat was brand new. Bill was a huge big game hunter and on that trip he had about 15 of his hunting buddies from all over the world. I was in heaven... talking about hunting more than fishing.

Sorry for the rant... this thread sparked some great memories... Ed F
Jesus Ed good memories, I can not remember all the details on my first over night boat. Except it was the 100 ft El Grande. Back in 1980 something. Catching Albies, BFT, and YFT, and a few yellows. My first trip cost $110 . Back when the albie fishing was great .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu