Fixed Blade for Big Game

how many of you guys use a hone for sharpening? I use one and it works great.

Lee,

Thanks for sharing...I was going to start a whole new thread about sharpening knives...I just bought a diamond rod...I try to keep my knives sharp, but I'm always looking for a good sharpening tool for general use...For skinning a buck, I pretty much have switched entirely to Havalon & Outdoor Edge.

Reactions: Fishnplay57
Lee,

Thanks for sharing...I was going to start a whole new thread about sharpening knives...I just bought a diamond rod...I try to keep my knives sharp, but I'm always looking for a good sharpening tool for general use...For skinning a buck, I pretty much have switched entirely to Havalon & Outdoor Edge.
I’d like to read your method! I preordered one of these Argali belts that is a sharpener. Saw the ad on Rokslide.

Lee,

Steve it would be a good thread to start.

I saw a Argali knife made of S35VN and a Buck made of S35VN. The Argali is double the price of the Buck. Why does Argali charge more? Both are made in US.

Good question, it could be the quality of steel (steel can be made and bought with imperfections at a significant discount). I also know the same material heat treated in different ways will produce different qualities, in addition, handle materials, design/ergonomics, size of production and quality control also have a big impact on price.

I only buy custom knives now that I can afford them and would definitely not have spent the money before. However, i have noticed a significant difference between my $300 custom vs my $50 buck.

Wonder what Larry uses for the plethora of wild game he harvests?

Good question, it could be the quality of steel (steel can be made and bought with imperfections at a significant discount). I also know the same material heat treated in different ways will produce different qualities, in addition, handle materials, design/ergonomics, size of production and quality control also have a big impact on price.

I only buy custom knives now that I can afford them and would definitely not have spent the money before. However, i have noticed a significant difference between my $300 custom vs my $50 buck.
I’m guessing your custom probably stays sharp a lot longer than your buck? A custom knife would be pretty cool down the road. I haven’t processed an animal on my own yet so I should probably hold off on buying an expensive knife until I have some experience and know what knife I prefer.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu