Have turkeys dispersed yet?

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
I’ve got a game cam pic of 15+ turkeys (mostly hens but at least one Tom). Pic is from yesterday.
Seems like there should be fewer in a group at this point, but maybe they haven’t dispersed yet. Pics like this always get the spirits lifted just prior to the season.
Not sure where these turkeys came from, but yesterday was their first ever appearance on this camera.7A86948A-E72F-454E-ABB8-0E6C8E185DAD.jpeg71691857-DA17-44B6-99FE-A2F61D790B50.jpeg4EFC8934-EBF0-4484-8DBE-2C72FDF40C2D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan,

There's some dispersal for sure...The big winter flock ups have moved into the next phase, where dominant toms are pushing breedable hens away...Quite a few bachelor groups cruising too...Timing for our opener could be just right with hens leaving gobblers mid morning and real susceptible to calling.

These 2 had about 12 hens...With 4 jakes following behind.

.IMG_0679.JPG

IMO no, Got back from town today and had a flock of twenty seven rooting around in my planted field at 4:00 p.m. saw no behavior that would indicate mating behavior. Saw them as well two days ago outside my kitchen window in the a.m. and they only seemed to be interested in feeding with no competetion involved. This on/off warm cold weather from my perspective has not set them off just yet but it won't be long with the weather we are having. P.S. we may get snow tonight and that will slow things down as well, Gotta have those warm sunny days for them to ramp up and get stupid.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Turkeys are now popping up everywhere. This camera is 25 miles from my other one above (I only have two cameras). It was place in the field last July and yesterday was it’s first ever turkey picture. I believe there are three turkeys in this pic (two in the background).
23611163-32A3-4419-BACE-49687EC688C9.jpeg

@Snake Charmer @ilovesprig

Fred how do you feel about letting a youth hunter with a mentor go slam a bird off your property this year ? Not speaking for Steve but I’m sure he would be pumped if this could happen.

We can raffle off a private land hunt for the youth on this site and my podcast. It’s another opportunity for the kids that didn’t draw a hunt at the turkey tune up.

Just a thought figured id ask.

@Snake Charmer @ilovesprig

Fred how do you feel about letting a youth hunter with a mentor go slam a bird off your property this year ? Not speaking for Steve but I’m sure he would be pumped if this could happen.

We can raffle off a private land hunt for the youth on this site and my podcast. It’s another opportunity for the kids that didn’t draw a hunt at the turkey tune up.

Just a thought figured id ask.
Beat you to it, Steve and I are already working on this.

Turkeys are now popping up everywhere. This camera is 25 miles from my other one above (I only have two cameras). It was place in the field last July and yesterday was it’s first ever turkey picture. I believe there are three turkeys in this pic (two in the background).
View attachment 53537

Dan,

That appears to be a jake (tough to blow up pic)...Good sign as they are starting to move in all directions...This pic was taken right next to public this morning before the youth draw...11 jakes all together...And to back Fred's thoughts...These 40 birds have zero interest in breeding...There's at least 2 longs and 5 or 6 jakes in there...Rainy, windy, and cold isn't mating weather today............:kissing_heart:

.IMG_0735.JPGIMG_0755.JPG

Dan,

There's some dispersal for sure...The big winter flock ups have moved into the next phase, where dominant toms are pushing breedable hens away...Quite a few bachelor groups cruising too...Timing for our opener could be just right with hens leaving gobblers mid morning and real susceptible to calling.

These 2 had about 12 hens...With 4 jakes following behind.

.View attachment 53535
What do you think happened to the tips of that dude’s tail?

Previous pic could have been someone putting a fan tail in front of my camera, but the next pic confirmed its legit.
E90209D7-730C-4DA2-B2B1-04BF92504FAA.jpeg

Reactions: DirtHunter
Oh...they gonna be despersed alright..evenly through out my freezers!!

• Haha
Reactions: sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu