Help with kennel sizing

Rocked and Loaded

Mar 29, 2021
I’m interested in getting a ruffland kennel for my gsp/setter mix and am unsure about the size.

He’s about 50# and 8 months old. I want to use the ruffland for both travel and as his primary home crate (he sleeps in his crate and has been crate trained since we got him).

The intermediate seems to be the most popular size for gundogs but it also seems that a lot of people use them primarily for transport rather than as a home kennel.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I can also measure him if you think it’d help.

What I’ve read is that a lot of guys go with the intermediate size as they say less room to slide around makes the dog safer in a collision but they don’t always mention if they live in them as well.

I
What I’ve read is that a lot of guys go with the intermediate size as they say less room to slide around makes the dog safer in a collision but they don’t always mention if they live in them as well.
I don't buy that statement at all and what about your pets comfort ?. A couple of inches in a crate especially if it is not strapped will make no difference. Lots of folks also put a crate soft bed inside for the animals comfort as long as they don't get motion sickness. If you are worried about a collision drive slower and buy a kiddie seat, Just kidding about the last statement but not really.... BTW for my dogs when I load a dog in a crate it's "load up" when we travel. The kennel up command comes when I put them in the kennel that NBK described, doesn't matter much just the way I train dogs for my clients. Dogs will learn the difference if you train them to do so. My wife who was the best trainer I have ever known and what I would call a whisperer would tell you- What you let a dog do you train it to do, she also taught me- Say it once then make it happen however you need to via physical force gentle or strong whatever it takes or e-collar when they understand it. Sorry I'm so long winded...

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Yup....nuff said..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211216-154519~2.png
    Screenshot_20211216-154519~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: NBK
I have a large for my male lab and think it would be too big for transport of your dog. I would consider a cheap 2 piece crate for home if you travel much. It's a pain moving them in and out. I have one in my bedroom and the other never leaves my truck during hunting season.

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
I would also recommend a Wetmutt pad for the Ruffland. Comfy durable foam and doesn't ever stink from a wet dog.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I have a large for my male lab and think it would be too big for transport of your dog. I would consider a cheap 2 piece crate for home if you travel much. It's a pain moving them in and out. I have one in my bedroom and the other never leaves my truck during hunting season.
Ideally I’d like to keep just one crate. I’d be willing to get the bigger one if necessary.

OTH it seems you guys with the big labs like the large so maybe Buck would be better off with the int. as he’s unlikely to be more than 70#.

I ended up getting a 2-piece crate from petsmart that’s about the same size as the ruffland intermediate.

I’ll use this as a frame of reference when he’s closer to full size to determine what ruffland I decide to get.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu