How to clean a rabbit

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
The squeeze method.....do this right after the kill and don't forget to eat the kidneys & heart.....id leave the liver spots or not

Last edited by a moderator:
I am definitely going to try this my boys will think it is awesome! I normally make a small slice on the back then just pull the skin off. Lop off the feet and head. Then I make an incision on the stomach to remove innards this will eliminate that step.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Oh man! That's pretty ingenious but I don't think I have the stomach for it :-/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm telling you guys it's less of a mess when gutting the rabbit. You get everything but the lungs & heart all of the entrails which is where the stink & mess comes from. Then just pull the skin off no need to cut the skin it rips real easy then cut out the leg meat & backstrap. Very little blood too.

Truduct said:
That rabbit smell drives me nuts that is why I want to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Drew,

Let me reiterate that fileting a rabbit is by far the cleanest method......You literally never touch the gut.....All you do is make a small incision near the tail, pull skin up the back towards the head and down the sides. You then filet the 2 back straps from spine. Then pull skin down from around both legs and filet meat off legs......You're done and you've never touched anything, but the back of the rabbit.

Very true Steve, it's the gutless debone quarter method just like you would do with BG. In fact that's really good practice for big game.....

This method just gets the stink out before you put it in your game bag and it cools the meat a little quicker

The filleting makes a lot of sense now to. Normally I just cook th entire rabbit and the fillets would be a little better for presentation. I am definately going to filet the next one I didn't realize you were not gutting them. But no matter what me and the boys will be goin an MJB gut smash on the next rabbit shot. Then I will fillet it.

Hey, that's me in that first video. From a few years ago.

I actually don't use that squeeze method much nowadays.

I use the fillet method for jack rabbits, and I use the method that Truduct described for cottontails, but using game shears or kitchen scissors instead of knife. My rabbit hunts only lasts 2 to 3 hours at a time, and whether or not I squeeze the guts out doesn't make any difference as far as keeping the meat fresher.

I clean them right when I get back to the car for the most part, so there is no issue of the guts sitting inside the rabbit for too long either way... The only time I would squeeze them now is if I cannot get around to cleaning them until I get home.... just to let them cool faster and avoiding the guts tainting the meat on the long drive back.

The boots are Cabelas Trekker boots, very comfortable, but I think they got discontinued a few years back.

some of you, will think I am crazy. but it is important to have the bone. it has medicinal properties. and other nutrients that are necessary.
I like the Bone in my stew. call me crazy. but that's me. Sorry MJB squeezing is not for me. Steve true filleting is not as messy but I like the Bone marrow in my meals.

Ghost said:
some of you, will think I am crazy. but it is important to have the bone. it has medicinal properties. and other nutrients that are necessary.
I like the Bone in my stew. call me crazy. but that's me. Sorry MJB squeezing is not for me. Steve true filleting is not as messy but I like the Bone marrow in my meals.

Yes Lee............I think you're crazy...........lol

My buddy who has a week stomach swears by the squeeze......

Thats funny I searched YouTube for this method and I find a member......lol

MJB said:

Iiiinteresting! Next time I'm out (and get one), I maaay give it a try then, if I'm feeling adventurous!

HuggyBear15 said:
MJB said:

Iiiinteresting! Next time I'm out (and get one), I maaay give it a try then, if I'm feeling adventurous!

It's a great technique. For larger bunnies if you have trouble getting it started, use both hands to wring it against your knee. Lightens your load, helps to cool the meat quickly in the field, and allows you to inspect the liver immediately at the site of the kill.

Reactions: josecasillas
Here is my new video that my son took just today, he was timing me.

Not the gut squeeze method, just a regular skin and gut. I do this right as we get back to the truck, fairly quick and easy and makes the gut squeeze pretty much unnecessary if done in the field.

https://youtu.be/-Ak9cNhKHtY

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu