Hunting Turkey on Private Land Near Julian CA

Wait you can't hunt state parks...I was joking too. I just don't like the people who bash new people asking questions. So I was going along with it. I'm new to hunting myself, but not forum boards, and I got to say this forum has a lot people not willing to answer newbie hunting questions compared to other forums where they are more willing. This is just my opinion.

Gcddarren said:
Wait you can't hunt state parks...I was joking too. I just don't like the people who bash new people asking questions. So I was going along with it. I'm new to hunting myself, but not forum boards, and I got to say this forum has a lot people not willing to answer newbie hunting questions compared to other forums where they are more willing. This is just my opinion.

Well...it depends on the question really. 99% of the time you will not find any answers involving spots on here. As you hunt more and more you will see why. Everywhere you go, especially at first, you see other hunters. It's fiercely competitive out there; with short seasons, lots of people, and crazy carved up public land. Add to that constant drought, fires, etc. It's tough. Even when you think you are getting away from the crowds (hiking way in, going on off days) you will see water bottles, TP, and other people.

When you've put in countless hours, miles on your car and boots, and finally find a productive area, with few people, the last thing you'll want to do is tell people about it. I'm in the same boat as you. I've been at this three years and I'm lucky if I can go out and bring home some rabbit or doves. I'm still looking for the turkeys and deer.

Sorry for the bad joke. When we get skunked on turkeys my buddy and I always joke that they're at their vacation home in Cuyamaca. Which isn't so far fetched if u ever do a hike/drive thru the park and see them all there instead of your hunting spot.

I've spent days in the woods looking for a single freaking deer. Then you drive through Julian/Cuyamaca and there are hundreds, standing around looking at you. It's maddening!

Be happy they're just pulling your chain in a friendly way. I asked similar questions on AT and BHOD, even pointing out I'm not asking for honey holes or sweet spots, about just general areas to look for turkey and all I got was somebody posting a link to the DFG's wild turkey range from 2003.
I wish I could help you out with at least a place to start. I'm having trouble finding them up near Monterey co and San Benito co.
Best bet is to just keep getting out there as much as possible. I've been going out every weekend and any weekday I can to the areas near me. I've heard either turkey or hunters who know how to work a call.
SoCal must be tough with this intense drought. Good luck man!!

Edit: This is also a tight knit group from what I've seen. I read a lot of the posts and just take in what I can. I now only follow SoCal and Jesses forums. I guess I should say stalk. Haha!

Gcddarren said:
I've found folks here to be pretty generous and extremely informative, but the level of detail in the response sometimes depends on the question and how you ask it. I have a hard time believing that hunters in any forum (online or in your local hunting shop) are giving away information it took them years of hard work to accumulate. And if you are lucky enough to have someone give you specific info, here is a good read with how to keep that information confidential: http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=6039

Where are the turkeys? In SoCal, look above 3,000 ft elevation. They like pine forest and mixed pine and oak for mast (food). For public land, start with BLM and NF maps, topos from USGS and Google earth. You need to know boundaries. For private land, if you are willing to pay, then hire a guide like Neil Ray of GSGS or join a club like My Country Club to help get you started.

Sorry if that is not specific enough but honestly, for me, looking for the animals (scouting habitat, trails and sign) is a huge part of the hunting experience. I won't say it's the reason I hunt, but if I didn't enjoy that part, I wouldn't hunt. Do some work, and report back to share what you are learning. When you give back on this forum, you'll earn trust and respect, and be rewarded in kind.

One more thing: if you want to find turkeys, try hunting deer. 90% of the time, works every time
;D

Bonejour said:
Gcddarren said:
I've found folks here to be pretty generous and extremely informative, but the level of detail in the response sometimes depends on the question and how you ask it. I have a hard time believing that hunters in any forum (online or in your local hunting shop) are giving away information it took them years of hard work to accumulate. And if you are lucky enough to have someone give you specific info, here is a good read with how to keep that information confidential: http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=6039

Where are the turkeys? In SoCal, look above 3,000 ft elevation. They like pine forest and mixed pine and oak for mast (food). For public land, start with BLM and NF maps, topos from USGS and Google earth. You need to know boundaries. For private land, if you are willing to pay, then hire a guide like Neil Ray of GSGS or join a club like My Country Club to help get you started.

Sorry if that is not specific enough but honestly, for me, looking for the animals (scouting habitat, trails and sign) is a huge part of the hunting experience. I won't say it's the reason I hunt, but if I didn't enjoy that part, I wouldn't hunt. Do some work, and report back to share what you are learning. When you give back on this forum, you'll earn trust and respect, and be rewarded in kind.

One more thing: if you want to find turkeys, try hunting deer. 90% of the time, works every time
;D
this is a great response thank you!

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I spent last night scouting some spots in Laguna with no luck. No trace of them at all. We saw tons of deer, but no gobblers. We then headed over to Julian for some coffee this morning and saw 3 separate flocks with anywhere between 30 - 50 heads in each. It seams that they prefer the easy pickings of the fruit trees that humans have planted. As well as the protection from farmers and land owners. Quite a beautiful sight to see actually. It just makes me wonder if there are any that are actually staying in the wild, or if they are finding it more convenient to co habit with our species.

Looks like this years butterball will have to do!

Happy Thanksgiving!
M

It doesn't have to be turkey season to scout and learn about turkeys. There is a lot to be gained by watching them all year long. This is the best turkey advise you will get. ;)

Everyone that is learning about turkeys may enjoy these 2 programs...

· Turkey Secrets – Animal Planet Channel – Cox Cable 11/26 @ 8:00 am and 11/27 @ 9:00 pm – This show gives the history of the wild turkey, demonstrates calling, talks about fall and spring behavior and also mentions the NWTF several times. They also interview the CEO of the NWTF and he demonstrates turkey calls.

· My Life as a Turkey - KPBS / Nature Show –– Cox Cable 11/26 @ 8:00 pm - Writer Joe Hutto follows the a flock of poults and becomes one with them. A great documentary that I’ve watched several times.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu