IV Hunting Regs & Maps

Dead bird is a dead bird. Shoot it how you shoot it. Not unsafe for anyone else besides your bicep. Not like he's 1 off-hand shooting it. Bet there's a lot of things we ALL do that's not "proper".

Okay the story goes like this the shooter is a shorter man about 5'6" and the gun is an o/u that's sized for a guy about 6'. It was the opening weekend of pheasants last year and on Friday he shot ducks. The gun would not shoulder every time because it was too big so it would get his bicep so he could see the sights on the shotgun. Saturday opening of dove he had a small bruise but not like in the picture. But by the time Sunday afternoon that's what you get shooting 75 duck rounds 100 dove loads.

Moral of the story get the gun fitted and don't shoot duck loads with o/u......butt pad or not 1550 is still hard on your shoulder or your bicep.

We tried to find some leaches in the canals so it didn't look so bad when he went back to work as a school teacher:)

one of my first shotguns was a single shot break open H & R .
just for kicks shot 3 " mags in it with double O, at some targets, it packed a wallop.
kicked like a mule.

Ghost

Lee,

Single shot hammered guns not only kick like a mule, but are very dangerous......After one of our dog handlers was shot with one (little girl's thumb came off the hammer as a pheasant flushed)......They are no longer allowed to be used in our youth pheasant hunts.

ilovesprig said:
Lee,

Single shot hammered guns not only kick like a mule, but are very dangerous......After one of our dog handlers was shot with one (little girl's thumb came off the hammer as a pheasant flushed)......They are no longer allowed to be used in our youth pheasant hunts.

Steve

wow, really. I never had a problem. please give a little more info. o wait I get it. a little girl accidentally shot a dog handler. bummer. was he Ok . or was it lethal. seriously I have hunted with those for years, with out incident. and my wife has her fathers little 410 single shot . never have had any issues with it. sorry that happened my Friend. it is never good when some one gets hurt.
old double barrels same way right?
I mean it comes down, to never point any weapon, at someone. not ever.
sorry brother

Ghost

Lee,

He was life flighted out of San Felipe WA.....And lived to tell about it.....In the excitement of a bird flushing, she had the gun kind of sideways.....Jerry was to her left with his dog.....Very scary and very lucky guy.

Doubles are not a problem because there's a safety.....Hammered guns as you're aware are safetied (word?) by the hammer itself. So when you walk up on a bird, if the hammer is back, then in essence the safety is off. If you don't have the hammer back, then it must be done in the process of mounting the gun (as in this case). Her finger slipped off and the gun discharged.

Probably should mention this right here.....The safety comes off, as you bring up the gun to shoulder. NOT when you walk up on a bird or see a bird coming.....PERIOID!!!!

I was a handler this year and the handler has the shells and we don't give it to them until the dog is on the bird and we all are set up......we leash the dog then pull the cord yeah not that real but very safe for dog & humans

Worse part was she didn't even want to do it.....I'm sure she was scarred worse than Jerry..... :(

Yeah Mark,

The old youth hunts were much more realistic, but probably more dangerous with youth hunters. Many of which have never shot a gun much or most certainly a flushing bird.

Attachments

• IMG1160_177.jpg
    IMG1160_177.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG1150_175.jpg
    IMG1150_175.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 369
He shot 75 duck rounds!? Was he in Mex? That is a lot of shooting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Steve

well darn it , glad he was all right. and it worked out. seriously all guns are dangerous. and are always loaded. :-[

I can under stand with a newbie, how that can happen. I liked those old single shot break opens.
honestly there has been more accidents with semi auto than any other weapons. but that could be debated till the end of time.
I have seen where pumps and semi accidentally went off just loading it. seriously never rely on the safety either.
seen videos of shotguns going off with safety on.

Newbies always point the weapon where it is safe. regardless. never put the finger on the trigger until it safe to shoot.
or it is what you are shooting at. Targets, or game. always make sure of your target and what it is. Right.
regardless if the safety is on or if you think it's not loaded. :eek:
guns are always loaded, got it.

and I hope are lot of the newbies read the stuff we post on here. :-[

I am guy who was almost shot on public land be by a stupid MF who thought I was a deer. and I was wearing a red hat
and I was so shocked and shook up I quit hunting for a few years and stuck with deep sea fishing.

Sorry Steve I had to add the above statement.

Ghost

Lee,

No reason to be sorry.....We can not emphasize the safety factors enough.....And just because you're old doesn't make you exempt from these rules either......Short story.....I was hunting geese with a friends dad. We were in a small blind when some honkers came in. In the process, I never heard his safety go off. I then ask him about when he disengages it. His response was "I hunt with my safety off".....WTF!....He then stated he had always done it this way.....My dog was also in this blind and his gun was propped up against the side between us.....I then told him, I would not hunt with him, if he didn't put it on.....He did.....But then started taking it off as we would see geese coming and actually forgot to put it back on once....Pretty $hitty lecturing an old guy about when to take the safety off.....THE SAFETY GOES OFF AS THE GUN COMES UP.....A simple thought process.

ps......Believe it or not, he was the 3rd person who had told they hunted with their safety off.....I now ask every new person, I'm around about that safety.....If they don't like it.....Too bad!

Yep the safety off thing is scary.......every time I see the guys squeeze the trigger and the safety is on it makes me go nuts because you know they want to leave it off or assumed it was off or what I really hope they just got excited......

I hunt Baja so I end up hunting witj people from all over the world some of the worse are the ones with the $3k guns Mexican, Russian, Italian & Americans

Now I have seen with the new guns the safety is forward of the trigger.....guys push the saftey off while shouldering and their finger slip off the trigger guard and pulls the trigger before shouldered scary stuff there too. I don't know why they switched that not as safe as having the safety behind the trigger in my book. Not as natural of a move as having it forward but not as safe in my book.

Front safety......# 1 reason I don't like Beretta. And just to be fair, I don't like Benelli Vinci either..... ;D

Raised shooting o/u's and single barrel trap guns, I've always like top safeties.......Browning BPS's having that feature as well.

ilovesprig said:
Lee,

No reason to be sorry.....We can not emphasize the safety factors enough.....And just because you're old doesn't make you exempt from these rules either......Short story.....I was hunting geese with a friends dad. We were in a small blind when some honkers came in. In the process, I never heard his safety go off. I then ask him about when he disengages it. His response was "I hunt with my safety off".....WTF!....He then stated he had always done it this way.....My dog was also in this blind and his gun was propped up against the side between us.....I then told him, I would not hunt with him, if he didn't put it on.....He did.....But then started taking it off as we would see geese coming and actually forgot to put it back on once....Pretty $hitty lecturing an old guy about when to take the safety off.....THE SAFETY GOES OFF AS THE GUN COMES UP.....A simple thought process.

ps......Believe it or not, he was the 3rd person who had told they hunted with their safety off.....I now ask every new person, I'm around about that safety.....If they don't like it.....Too bad!

Steve
Are we old :D. All good stuff. Better to hurt people's pride than having an accident. And keep up the good work. Safety #1 . it never ends. ;)

Ghost

ilovesprig said:
Here are the hunting regs and the Heritage dove fields.........Saw very few doves while out there Tuesday and Sunday.......It did rain going out and coming back....... :-\

map you posted was 2014,slight change for the wounded warrior fields,heres the 2015 link

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83159&inline

Thanks Stevo......My computer will not let me download a PDF file..... ???

These places will be a zoo, but we did see birds at most of them....... ;)

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    760.3 KB · Views: 31

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu