IV with Doc Cherry

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Headed to the IV with Doc and my friend Phil at dark-thirty yesterday...The shoot started a little rough when we discovered that Doc had picked up the wrong ammo box and had no shells...Fortunately, I had 2 boxes of steel 7's and we were in business...Having a limited amount made us not take marginal shots...Chipped away for 30 birds...Fun morning and we'll do it again.

ps...Dang, by 7:30 it was 90 degrees and it got warmer from there...Not a lot of shade where we set-up...So by 9:30, we packed it in.

,IMG_2300.JPGIMG_2350.JPG

Well, Ol' Doc really screwed up this time. First time ever in my life. Well, first time on Wednesday, at least. 4 AM, darker than the Tunnel of Love, two military ammo cans in my car, one full of ammo and one full of tools. In a hurry and grabbed the wrong one. Got to the shooting area, pulled out my shotgun [at least I didn't forget it], opened the ammo can..... You know the feeling when you reach for your wallet or phone and it's gone? Same deal. I thought of jumping into the All American canal and drowning myself but Steve, very generously, told me he had plenty of ammo and gave me a box. Turned out he was fibbing and just being generous and all he had for himself was one box. The doves showed up in mass and plenty of pigeons and I hadn't held a shotgun in my hands for over 3 years and boy, did it show!! The shells Steve gave me must have been manufacturing defects because they all went BANG but based upon the effects the shells had on the doves there apparently wasn't any shot in them.

Great hunt, though, with two great guys, plenty of interesting conversation, very nostalgic for me since I went to high school in El Centro a thousand years ago and haven't been back since. The area has really changed. Even showed Steve and Phil the neighborhood I lived in which made it obvious to them why I left and never went back. I will definitely go back for the doves and pigeons but not until I put in some range time or shooting time beforehand and triple check the ammo can.

If you can get down there, go. It's really worth the drive. And don't forget the ammo.

By the way, I didn't tell my wife about my screw-up because I don't want to reinforce her belief that I am losing it.

Well, Ol' Doc really screwed up this time. First time ever in my life. Well, first time on Wednesday, at least. 4 AM, darker than the Tunnel of Love, two military ammo cans in my car, one full of ammo and one full of tools. In a hurry and grabbed the wrong one. Got to the shooting area, pulled out my shotgun [at least I didn't forget it], opened the ammo can..... You know the feeling when you reach for your wallet or phone and it's gone? Same deal. I thought of jumping into the All American canal and drowning myself but Steve, very generously, told me he had plenty of ammo and gave me a box. Turned out he was fibbing and just being generous and all he had for himself was one box. The doves showed up in mass and plenty of pigeons and I hadn't held a shotgun in my hands for over 3 years and boy, did it show!! The shells Steve gave me must have been manufacturing defects because they all went BANG but based upon the effects the shells had on the doves there apparently wasn't any shot in them.

Great hunt, though, with two great guys, plenty of interesting conversation, very nostalgic for me since I went to high school in El Centro a thousand years ago and haven't been back since. The area has really changed. Even showed Steve and Phil the neighborhood I lived in which made it obvious to them why I left and never went back. I will definitely go back for the doves and pigeons but not until I put in some range time or shooting time beforehand and triple check the ammo can.

If you can get down there, go. It's really worth the drive. And don't forget the ammo.

By the way, I didn't tell my wife about my screw-up because I don't want to reinforce her belief that I am losing it.
Glad you had friends in High Places who share ! . I think everyone of us “Old Quacks” have had “Oh crap” moments but agree we don’t need to post them or tell the significant other . One of the worst is showing up at the Check Station proudly with your low reservation letter in hand only to realize you are at the wrong refuge . Bad enough to know you screwed up but when your young grandson is with you and you have to explain it really is a humbling experience . Glad you had a good shoot and better time with good people . Old Quack 49

Awesome pics. Whenever you guy's forget stuff just hit me up I might be able to help, Might not be able to go hunt at that moment but help yes. I went out scouting for Mag1 the other day and saw lots of mournings but no WW yet.. The storms are lingering around us, maybe that'll get birds moving. Glad you made it out back to the nest Doc, EC and the whole valley has changed and somewhat not for the good, but we still have some good folks around.

Glad you had friends in High Places who share ! . I think everyone of us “Old Quacks” have had “Oh crap” moments but agree we don’t need to post them or tell the significant other . One of the worst is showing up at the Check Station proudly with your low reservation letter in hand only to realize you are at the wrong refuge . Bad enough to know you screwed up but when your young grandson is with you and you have to explain it really is a humbling experience . Glad you had a good shoot and better time with good people . Old Quack 49

Larry,

To this day, I will never forget the time Cal (RIP) and I proudly walked up to the check station at Wister with his #1 draw...Then Raymond told us it was #1 for San J...I'm sure the look on our faces was precious... :joy:

ps...The day turned out just fine...;)

.IMG_0485.JPG

Awesome pics. Whenever you guy's forget stuff just hit me up I might be able to help, Might not be able to go hunt at that moment but help yes. I went out scouting for Mag1 the other day and saw lots of mournings but no WW yet.. The storms are lingering around us, maybe that'll get birds moving. Glad you made it out back to the nest Doc, EC and the whole valley has changed and somewhat not for the good, but we still have some good folks around.
I was in El Centro from September, 1962, thru December, 1965. That was high school. Do you have any friends or relatives who might have lived there then? I agree---there are a lot of nice places and nice people in the valley, always have been. The neighborhood I lived in was decent back then, 58 years ago, but it isn't very nice now. Really hard to get a good after-school or weekend or summer job back then. Only job I could get was working on ranches and farms, and in the summer that was 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, $1.25 per hour, no overtime. I bucked hay, shoveled manure, picked cotton, onions, melons, lettuce---really unpleasant work in horrible heat but I was glad to have the little bit of money that came in. I imagine it is still tough for high school students to find part-time or summer work.

I was in El Centro from September, 1962, thru December, 1965. That was high school. Do you have any friends or relatives who might have lived there then? I agree---there are a lot of nice places and nice people in the valley, always have been. The neighborhood I lived in was decent back then, 58 years ago, but it isn't very nice now. Really hard to get a good after-school or weekend or summer job back then. Only job I could get was working on ranches and farms, and in the summer that was 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, $1.25 per hour, no overtime. I bucked hay, shoveled manure, picked cotton, onions, melons, lettuce---really unpleasant work in horrible heat but I was glad to have the little bit of money that came in. I imagine it is still tough for high school students to find part-time or summer work.
Damm Doc you made me feel young again thanks :p. I am from Heber originally but Class of '92.

Attachments

• IMG_0975.PNG
    IMG_0975.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I forgot my waders once, but I was in the sweatline. I guess if I showed up for my ressie without waders I could try to find a sweatliner with waders who would want to join me on my ressie. Showing up to the wrong refuge must have felt awful!

Damm Doc you made me feel young again thanks :p. I am from Heber originally but Class of '92. Hey I found this pic on facebook are you in here or maybe some friends? They say it's CUHS Class of '65
View attachment 49735
I officially was a member of the class of 66. I graduated early, Dec of 65, and left in a hurry. I wanted to go to college but lacked money so I went to live with a friend in Alaska and drove a truck. Made enough by the time school opened in Sept to put myself thru the first two years of college. I fell in love with floatplanes while I was up there and 14 years later I was making my living flying floatplanes in AK and Yukon Territory. In fact, I learned to fly floatplanes at Salton Sea Air Service in 1978. Learned in a J3 Cub. Had to stand on the right float and crank the prop by hand. Really miss those flying days.

Don't recognize any of those old folks in the photo above. Glad I haven't aged like they have.

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
If you are from Heber, you might know the ranch where I worked. It was about 1/2 way between El Centro and Calexico, called Jackson Farms. In an earlier post I griped about tough working conditions there and low pay but at 1.25 an hour, 72 hours a week, I took home $70 a week. I bought my first car, a 53 Ford Ranch Wagon, for $225. Took it to Mexicali and had it painted and Naugahyde interior installed for $100, new tires [retreads] for $32, a Win Model 12 for $55, a Rem 514 for $19, a 30-06 sporterized Enfield for $50, Lee Loaders and components for another $50, fishing gear, camping gear, and waders for another $75. I worked full time for 13 weeks and had enough left over [now that I had a car, one of the few students in high school to have one] to get a totally hot girlfriend who hated hunting but, as long as I paid for everything, had certain talents that made up for our lack of compatibility.

Last edited:
Just cooked a bunch of euro breasts for breakfast. Brined for 36 hours, tenderized using Steve's recommended tenderizing tool, added salt, pepper, garlic salt, cooked in bacon fat, served with a bit of cream cheese and a piece of bacon on top. Dee--Lish!!! Not at all tough or gamey, like the finest fillet mignon. I am a happy man.

Just cooked a bunch of euro breasts for breakfast. Brined for 36 hours, tenderized using Steve's recommended tenderizing tool, added salt, pepper, garlic salt, cooked in bacon fat, served with a bit of cream cheese and a piece of bacon on top. Dee--Lish!!! Not at all tough or gamey, like the finest fillet mignon. I am a happy man.
What’s the tenderizing tool?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu