Lake Henshaw Hunting Tips

How much $$$ annually is it to join My Country Club to hunt waterfowl and turkey's in the Palomar/Henshaw area?

This topic always comes up every duck season. I can take someone and put them on the X at several locations. Provided, I can get the spot. That does not mean the newbie will actually shoot any ducks. It is the set up. It is the calling. There are a lot of variables. You can learn this on your own or you can be fortunate enough to have access to some good mentors. I agree. There are plenty of hunters in Cali. If not, why will it take an average of 6 or more preference points to get into X12 or X9a? Why does SJ have so many guys on the sweatline? I do help people when I can. Just depends on the person. You can mentor newer hunters without giving up too much and nor should you.

John

Lake Henshaw is a particular spot that I could draw you a treasure map and if you don’t know how to kill ducks you’re probably not going to fire your gun, unless it’s super foggy and you happen to be where they are dropping in.

Most people like comfort when hunting and lake henshaw and comfort don’t usually align together. If you want to kill ducks there you need to do the following things:

1. Get there the day before the hunt and race the others to the top 3 spots. (Not hard to locate).
2. Set out a shit load of decoys.
3. Hide well and make your profile as low as possible. (Usually involves laying on freezing mud) surrounded with cockleburs.
4. Hope like hell there is some weather and the birds don’t raft up in the middle of the lake.

MCC folks lock up the good stuff, because they leave their gear out, their claim is staked.

Well, I just got back from scouting the lake...So, I'll start with this BS quote...MCC members don't lock up "The Good Stuff"...We scout and by driving an hour to look at the place...We WALK about a mile in the friggin' mud to TRY and get the best spot AVAILABLE...As MCC members, we are NOT allowed to leave decoys OUT...Do we leave blinds and decoys out in an area (in the willows)...Yep, because we can do so...And anyone else can do so as well...You beat me to a certain area...It's yours.

Fred,

WTF!!!...You want to see my PM list of guys asking where to go, what to hunt, how to get there, and a million other questions...I believe I've given back pretty good with kids, young hunters, and newbies...How many of you have offered to help NWTF with youth hunts?...How many of you have offered to help with youth pheasant hunts?...How many of you have offered to help with my JAKES event?...How many of you attend our CWA events?...How many of you attend our NWTF banquet?... How many of you attend NWTF meetings?...Where you actually meet and talk with like minded hunters?...I can go on and on.

You got a problem with the Mendenhall's leasing land that previously was not EVER hunted...Join the friggin' club...$3,000.00 a year...Then you can have all the ADVANTAGES of one lake that duck hunts!

I have never, ever turned someone down from helping them...I'm 71 years old and hunted SoCal all my life...Way before MCC...And until turkeys showed up, all public...I was not raised in San Diego Co...So you know what, I met guys that hunted here, I read everything I could, and scouted my a$$ off...Nothing special and anyone can do it.

ps...The last 3 hunt days at Henshaw...16 hunters, 20 ducks, 4 hunters, 15 ducks, and 13 hunters, 15 ducks...4 MCC members in those last 3 shoot days...Please show me that advantage or secret spot that I'm obviously missing.

pss...2 hunters signed up for tomorrow.

Well, I just got back from scouting the lake...So, I'll start with this BS quote...MCC members don't lock up "The Good Stuff"...We scout and by driving an hour to look at the place...We WALK about a mile in the friggin' mud to TRY and get the best spot AVAILABLE...As MCC members, we are NOT allowed to leave decoys OUT...Do we leave blinds and decoys out in an area (in the willows)...Yep, because we can do so...And anyone else can do so as well...You beat me to a certain area...It's yours.

Fred,

WTF!!!...You want to see my PM list of guys asking where to go, what to hunt, how to get there, and a million other questions...I believe I've given back pretty good with kids, young hunters, and newbies...How many of you have offered to help NWTF with youth hunts?...How many of you have offered to help with youth pheasant hunts?...How many of you have offered to help with my JAKES event?...How many of you attend our CWA events?...How many of you attend our NWTF banquet?... How many of you attend NWTF meetings?...Where you actually meet and talk with like minded hunters?...I can go on and on.

You got a problem with the Mendenhall's leasing land that previously was not EVER hunted...Join the friggin' club...$3,000.00 a year...Then you can have all the ADVANTAGES of one lake that duck hunts!

I have never, ever turned someone down from helping them...I'm 71 years old and hunted SoCal all my life...Way before MCC...And until turkeys showed up, all public...I was not raised in San Diego Co...So you know what, I met guys that hunted here, I read everything I could, and scouted my a$$ off...Nothing special and anyone can do it.

ps...The last 3 hunt days at Henshaw...16 hunters, 20 ducks, 4 hunters, 15 ducks, and 13 hunters, 15 ducks...4 MCC members in those last 3 shoot days...Please show me that advantage or secret spot that I'm obviously missing.

Not a terrible average considering 10% of the hunters took 90% of those totals. Also not everyone reports what they shot.

Fred,

Steve, My comments were not directed at you I am well aware of your contributions to the hunting community you are one of only a few that have done so at the level you have taken it. I'm not understanding the comment about the Mendenhalls leasing ptoperty for their business. iIknow Frank on a casual basis. In the midst of the drought our pond dried up and he graciously let us use the lake for water work. Maybe you misinterpeted something I said.

Not a terrible average considering 10% of the hunters took 90% of those totals. Also not everyone reports what they shot.

Everyone is supposed to check in & out...What they put on their card could be off, but when there's little shooting...It's pretty much a given, there wasn't much taken.

I agree that 10%, get 90% of the birds...The point I was making was, there's hardly anyone hunting up there...So because a few MCC guys do their homework and do better than most, somehow they have some kind of advantage over the general public...The poor numbers taken at Henshaw are not unique to Henshaw right now...San J is barely over a 1 bird average as is Wister...Got a feeling that's all going to change soon...;)

Steve, the rules changed on a constant basis. I do not know what the rules are this year,,,but in years past, my observations:
  1. Certain years, only MCC members got to setup up the day before, or could do it at an earlier time than non-members.
  2. One year, one dude got to lock up what he wanted, off-limits to others.
  3. I had gone out there the day before, before anybody else, and decoys were already deployed in key areas.
  4. Certain years, only MCC members got to hunt certain days.
So that is the basis of my opinion. I wont call anybody out on the pre-set decoys on various occasions, but I know who some were.

I would hope that all hunters are on equal standing at Henshaw, but I get it, it is a pay to play, and I understand how MCC members would get extra benefits.

You can call BS all you want, but I do know what I know from my experiences. Some of my most memorable hunts are from Henshaw, but that was all pre-MCC.

Steve, the rules changed on a constant basis. I do not know what the rules are this year,,,but in years past, my observations:
  1. Certain years, only MCC members got to setup up the day before, or could do it at an earlier time than non-members.
  2. One year, one dude got to lock up what he wanted, off-limits to others.
  3. I had gone out there the day before, before anybody else, and decoys were already deployed in key areas.
  4. Certain years, only MCC members got to hunt certain days.
So that is the basis of my opinion. I wont call anybody out on the pre-set decoys on various occasions, but I know who some were.

I would hope that all hunters are on equal standing at Henshaw, but I get it, it is a pay to play, and I understand how MCC members would get extra benefits.

You can call BS all you want, but I do know what I know from my experiences. Some of my most memorable hunts are from Henshaw, but that was all pre-MCC.

Did you not get my point that there's maybe, 3 or 4 MCC guys that even hunt Henshaw?...And since I've been an original member, it's never been much different...In fact, when I 1st joined, MCC members had no extras as far hunting the lake...Like paying the $25.00 fee or hunting on Sundays...These were suggestions from me to be able to sell more MCC memberships for the Mendenhall's...They (MCC) actually joined a duck club out in the IV for members...Which didn't work out...Hence, the suggestion of the lake.

I'll answer your questions.....

1...MCC members have never been able to set-up before anyone else...Like I stated before, we don't have to check-in (just call in)...So there is somewhat of a time advantage the day before (walk in only).

2...About 3 years ago, a guy by the name of Bill McWethy paid to hunt the marsh across the lake exclusively...Nobody was happy about that...Again, the Mendenhall's own the rights to the lake...They make the rules...MCC members weren't allowed to hunt it either.

3...I'm not going to say someone didn't leave their decoys out...It has happened (I've done it with permission)...Again, the rule on that was mostly because of Bill McWethy wanting to leave decoys.

4...To this day, MCC can hunt Sundays...It's never been any different since the Mendenhall's allowed MCC to hunt the lake.

I see absolutely no reason that MCC members should have anything to do with anyone doing their homework, scouting, and hunting Lake Henshaw successfully.

Good night...2:00 am comes pretty early....lol

Last edited:
Reactions: duck-boy
Henshaw is not an easy place to hunt and you earn every duck you pull out of there. I like it because it is free roam. In the past, there were guys dumping other people's decoys. All kinds of fun stuff. You don't see as much of that anymore. The Wigeon do raft up in the middle. Big spreads and mojos are a must. But if you dont have a boat you have to haul all that crap in. I dont know what it is about the shaw but there is always at least some drama around her every season. It isnt Wister and it isn't SJ. You really do need to figure it all out.

John

I’ll rent a boat and troll crappie lures through those rafting ducks if you guys promise not to shoot me.

Reactions: Kicking Wing
It is hard for the new guy to want to get involved in fighting for hunting rights and access to land when the first you learn is DIY.
My brother and I both took hunter safety while teenagers, then bought shot guns and ordered all of the NF and BLM maps. This was around 1980. We had zero experience and no hunter friends. We went to the local forest and desert and didn’t see any game. After a while we got frustrated. Then my gun was stolen and my bro sold his. Figured hunting in so cal was futile. 25 years later I make a new friend at church who hunts quail and dove in the IV. I pick his brain and he invites me the dove opener so I go buy a cheap used Mossberg 20g pump. Had a great weekend and learned all about IV dove. Became hooked. All it took was a little help and a little success. Now guys who introduced me to hunting ask ME where to go in the IV because I picked up and RAN with the little knowledge I had. Finding your own spots is 75 percent of the fun

My brother and I both took hunter safety while teenagers, then bought shot guns and ordered all of the NF and BLM maps. This was around 1980. We had zero experience and no hunter friends. We went to the local forest and desert and didn’t see any game. After a while we got frustrated. Then my gun was stolen and my bro sold his. Figured hunting in so cal was futile. 25 years later I make a new friend at church who hunts quail and dove in the IV. I pick his brain and he invites me the dove opener so I go buy a cheap used Mossberg 20g pump. Had a great weekend and learned all about IV dove. Became hooked. All it took was a little help and a little success. Now guys who introduced me to hunting ask ME where to go in the IV because I picked up and RAN with the little knowledge I had. Finding your own spots is 75 percent of the fun

Exactly. Someone took the time to mentor you. It is not something that everyone will want to do or can do. But, there are mentors out there to be found. Anycase, sitting at SJ waiting for 300. Line of cars coming in is amazing. Shit show is starting.

John

Yikes, i certainly didnt intend to kick up this shit storm. For what its worth, I have hunted Henshaw a few times and everybody has been pretty cool. I actually shot some birds once because a guy (non-member) let me hunt with him and his dog. Anyhow, i wasnt looking to be spoon-fed anything; rather, i was just looking for a little intel (i.e. which side of the lake, etc.) to shorten my learning curve. I do this for a lot of guys fishing in La Jolla, etc. I dont get to hunt much, so just trying to make the most of it when i do.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Sounds like you will have lots of fun out there. I have never been there , but I like the free lance , free roam thing ! If their getting shot at other spots on the lake , they fly away and look for another spot . This leaves your spot for a landing area . One thing I would recommend ,is to hide like your hiding from Home land security . I have found its that important . So if they check your set up and fly off , its time to brush up a lot more . I had landed 13 Cackling geese this season , They landed out of range by 40 feet. I think no big deal they will swim in closer , and they popped me moving in the blind , and flew away . I had 100 pintails working my decoys and they popped me from a open spot in the top of my blind . They saw me move just a bit and flew off . I promptly cut and added more brush to my blind . I find a laydown blind can be the only option in some areas . If the warden cant find you in your blind you've done it right . Cant wait for some pictures ! So Keep us posted .

Reactions: HATCHET1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu