Looking for another dog

Stikbrandon

May 27, 2021
I’m looking to bring another dog In to the mix.
Anyone know of any options ?

Looking does not need to be a puppy. Can be an older gun dog that is in need of another home.

I’m looking to bring another dog In to the mix.
Anyone know of any options ?

Looking does not need to be a puppy. Can be an older gun dog that is in need of another home.
Not sure where you live but I would call your local Navda Chapter and see if they have leads. There are really good retriever clubs in most hunting states. I would contact one of them as well. I have always gotten good recommendations from people I know in the Lab community. Then again, Nikita came from zero hunting lines and has been just freaking outstanding. I think pedigree matters but drive and intelligence are just huge. My preference will always be a Lab. Then a GSP. Lots of great hunting dogs out there. Just depends on what you are looking for and what you want to hunt. Hunting with a good dog really adds to your experience. And you never hunt alone. The good ones know when you are prepping. They cling to you and are ready to go as soon as you wake up. it never gets old. Never.

John

I've got 2 you can have for free!!!..laying around..sucking up my oxygen...damn hounds!!! Uggh!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230107-173423.png
    Screenshot_20230107-173423.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20221210-141308.png
    Screenshot_20221210-141308.png
    799.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230115-114110.png
    Screenshot_20230115-114110.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Haha
Reactions: sportyg
Brandon,

In all seriousness...What are you looking for in a dog?...Duck, upland, family pet, combo?

My friend Bill Lawson has a couple of pits that retrieve...He also has labs when he's serious...The point is, any dog (for the most, if physically capable) will hunt and retrieve...I had a beagle mix (Mike) that was the best upland dog, I ever owned...The hound blood in him was strong.

Rescue dogs are a nice gesture, but you're rolling the dice, as far as any kind of hunting dog...I know a couple of folks that have made it happen...I'm one of them, with a 2 year papered lab male named Bosco...He had never hunted, but not afraid of gun fire...He turned out to be a great waterfowl and family dog...I also bred him and Yeager was his son.

A puppy from any kind of hunting breed, papered or not, full blooded or not, can work...A lot depends on you...Dedicated to training and working with him or her.

Good luck with this quest.

.010.JPG007.JPG

@ilovesprig

I don’t even want another dog, the old lady wants one and I figure I jump ahead train and make sure it’s my choice.

I too have rolled the dice on a rescue and she’s great, @Aeon just made my mut forces to pile and straight line retrieves, non of that bank walk-in shit.. lol

Reactions: ilovesprig
Agree with the training and breed selection comments posted here. First time training a dog and made tons of mistakes as a trainer but got the hang of it and the lab took up everything and then some and wants to please. Loves the hunt and the retrieve and delivers to hand willingly every bird he’s ever had in his mouth. Did a bunch of research and I’m glad I got him as a pup; I do think it made training much easier.

As for breed, He’s awesome in the water but I tend to hunt more upland and the only drawback is he runs out of gas after a few hours, if not less depending on conditions. If they could make a breed with the temperament of a lab and the stamina of a GSP it would be the best of both worlds.

Attachments

• IMG_1567.jpeg
    IMG_1567.jpeg
    600.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2786.jpeg
    IMG_2786.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2914.jpeg
    IMG_2914.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    853.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3352.jpeg
    IMG_3352.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 66276530752__D0AA4BBB-CE84-461B-9323-447F14B9067C.jpeg
    66276530752__D0AA4BBB-CE84-461B-9323-447F14B9067C.jpeg
    649.3 KB · Views: 19

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu