Lube....

bassin_rob

Nov 7, 2016
Hey guys so I’ve been reloading for a bit now. Still pretty new to it but I’ve worked up some loads for 28 nosler and 204 ruger without many issues. In the past I’ve always lubed cases individually with my fingers with the RCBS dropper. Never had a lube dent. Recently I’ve read quite a few guys saying that they use non stick cooking spray like Pam. Spray it in a bag of brass mix around and go to town. So I gave it a try and it was so much quicker I was the happiest guy in the world. Fast forward about 30 min later when I was pulling the cases from the wet tumbler the cases had tons of small lube dents on em. I should have noticed this while resizing but I felt no resistance and the cases didn’t seem overly lubed so I didn’t even pay attention. I know they will fire out but I was all pumped on the efficiency of this and a super disappointed in the results.
So my question is, If anyone uses the cooking spray method do you have any pointers you could offer? Or any other quicker method of efficiently lubing cases.
Also, will a case with a dent effect accuracy? For average shooting I wouldn’t be worried. But I was going to use this brass to work up a new lead free load so accuracy is even more important than usual.

Unless it is taking a considerable amount of volume out of the case it shouldn’t make much difference under 600 yards. Start stretching it out further you may see some inaccuracies due to the velocity spread.
I use the Hornady spray lube. Spray cases and let them sit for a few minutes before running them through your sizing die.
Never heard of using the cooking spray. My thought is it doesn’t dry out and will build up in your sizing die.

Reactions: bassin_rob
We use Dillon spray lube the sizing die is always the problem die. We also have some
dry graphite lube that is nice that way your cartridges don’t have a film in them only problem with the dry lube is it leaves a black color on the cases.

That was my thought as well. Excessive build up. Will have to try the Hornady. Heard lots about it. Cooking spray is so cheap I figured it would be great after seeing so many people suggest it on a reloading page im on on Facebook.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu