Montana Nonresident Elk License Applications Tumble

Ghosthunter

Jan 6, 2011
San Diego
Last year Montana voters approved I-161 which raised the price of non-resident big game licenses and removed the outfitter sponsored tag system. The numbers are starting to roll in from the 2011 big game draw and it appears that non-resident applications are down significantly from 2010. The Billings Gazette has a write up about the applications and potential left over tags for this fall.

"Obviously the price is an issue," said Ron Aasheim, Fish, Wildlife and Parks' bureau chief. "Last year we had about 8,000 people who didn't draw. This year we're under by about 1,200." About 15,800 nonresidents applied for the 17,000 big game or elk combination licenses for the upcoming season. That means that every hunter who applied for either the $912 nonresident big game combination license, or the $812 elk combo license will receive one. Last year, more than 19,000 nonresidents applied for similar tags.

Maybe they will wake up now and change the price back to the $643.00 it was at. If you ever get a chance to draw the non-resident combo tag which it looks like you can get over the counter now is worth every penny. You get a deer tag and an elk tag and you can hunt archery and if you are not succf you can come back for rifle season. I went up a few years ago by myself and shot a nice buck the first day and an elk three days later and got out before the storms came hard. By far one of the best hunts I have ever been on.

Michael Pritzl said:
Last year Montana voters approved I-161 which raised the price of non-resident big game licenses and removed the outfitter sponsored tag system. The numbers are starting to roll in from the 2011 big game draw and it appears that non-resident applications are down significantly from 2010. The Billings Gazette has a write up about the applications and potential left over tags for this fall.

"Obviously the price is an issue," said Ron Aasheim, Fish, Wildlife and Parks' bureau chief. "Last year we had about 8,000 people who didn't draw. This year we're under by about 1,200." About 15,800 nonresidents applied for the 17,000 big game or elk combination licenses for the upcoming season. That means that every hunter who applied for either the $912 nonresident big game combination license, or the $812 elk combo license will receive one. Last year, more than 19,000 nonresidents applied for similar tags.

Maybe they will wake up now and change the price back to the $643.00 it was at. If you ever get a chance to draw the non-resident combo tag which it looks like you can get over the counter now is worth every penny. You get a deer tag and an elk tag and you can hunt archery and if you are not succf you can come back for rifle season. I went up a few years ago by myself and shot a nice buck the first day and an elk three days later and got out before the storms came hard. By far one of the best hunts I have ever been on.

Unfortunately the numbers still put them ahead so their vote to increase the tag fee’s is looked at as a good decision for them business wise.

Last year they sold 19,000 tags at 643.00 = $12,217,000.00 revenue
This year so far 15,800 tags at 812.00 = $12,829,600.00 revenue
Or so far: 15,800 tags at 912.00 = $14,409,600.00 revenue
If they sell out. 17,000 tags at 912.00 = $15,504,000.00 revenue

Not sure if these numbers are correct, but you can see that they are making more money and giving out less tags so less game is taken. They see that as a win win.

The hunters loose and the state wins. The locals loose out too, with the loss of the hunting tourists spending their money in their small towns on gas, food, butcher, etc.

I saw the same thing happen in Utah and AZ.

I still think that this tag is worth the $915.00 because you get a deer and a elk tag. Both times I have gone
I got both. Anyone up for next year? I will go for sure and I have some great spots.

What are the dates? Is it an archery only, or general season tag? ???

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu