Moving back

San Diego
Has been hot and humid the last couple years 110 this weekend.
Don't Do It

I’ve got multiple family/friends that live right on the coast. Where I would be close to that said it’s 80 and breezy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MAG 1
Damn, lot of people bitching about CA haha. You can always leave?

I was just asking for any guidance on what to buy before I return.

Reactions: 180ls1
As Thomas Sowell says, there are no solutions, only trade-offs. Except for California politics, San Diego is probably the best place in the entire country to live. You’ll see more beautiful women in one hour than a month in most other places. The weather, mountains, ocean, IV close by. Fishing and hunting paradise. Jobs, medical care, better than almost everywhere. And I’m saying this as someone who doesn’t live there anymore. Trade offs, that’s all there is.

Some of us have..don't get me wrong it can be a great place but overcrowding and politics have ruined it for me. I loved the fact that I could be surf fishing the beach then just an hr away I could be hunting in the mountains. Plus you can't beat the Mexican food in SD! Good thing my wife can cook just as well if not I might have stayed. Its kind of a running joke on the forum about hating on Cali..don't take it too seriously.

Reactions: Drake Dunn

Drake,

Born & raised here and I still love it...You will find there's tons of opportunities for hunting and fishing...Like George (Horto), said, kind of a standing joke ragging on Cali...Hang with us... :blush:

The high cost of living and politics have always been a joke in CA. Where I’m moving to is mostly right wing conservatives that are mostly for guns. So that’s always a plus. Running my own business I get a lot more tax breaks then most which also help.
I just miss spear fishing, hunting and the great west coast in general. The east coast has been good to me, but like all things. It has come to an end.

Not sure about what it would take to legally bring your guns back into the state but I do know you're only allowed to bring in 50 rounds of ammo, total. Not making any suggestions about what to do, just stating what I understand to be legal. Of course, I didn't stay at a holiday inn express lately so I could be wrong so I'd verify everything with some state official that knows for sure.

Not sure about what it would take to legally bring your guns back into the state but I do know you're only allowed to bring in 50 rounds of ammo, total. Not making any suggestions about what to do, just stating what I understand to be legal. Of course, I didn't stay at a holiday inn express lately so I could be wrong so I'd verify everything with some state official that knows for sure.
I imported about 35 firearms from Hawaii when I moved to Fallbrook. You have a certain amount of time [30 days, if I recall] to fill out the import forms for each firearm separately and send to the Attorney General. Don't recall what the fee was. Then the AG checks each and every firearm to make sure that it is CA compliant and sends you a completed registration approval for each separate firearm. Until you get the forms back from the AG, you need to be careful about taking your firearms out into the field, since they aren't registered until the AG acts. It took me 5 months to get my registrations back from the AG. Failure to comply is a huge penalty, money and incarceration. A real problem for me was that I had a few Ruger semi-auto pistols and even though they only held less than 10 rounds, they are not on the CA approved list so the AG rejected them. I sent those pistols back to HI and had an FFL buddy of mine sell them on Gunbroker. Any pistol with a magazine that exceeds 10 rounds is not legal here as well as any semi-auto pistol that has not met CA's requirements. There is a website at the AG department called "Approved Handguns for California." Google it and make sure that any handguns are listed.

Damn I hate Ca. How many members here are convicted felons and are not legally able to own firearms here in ca.? That's what I thought, so why are we being treated as criminals???

Reactions: WaterDawg
Wish I were back doing research because a very interesting study [which would NEVER get funded] is to compare the criminal history of NRA members or gun owners in general with registered democrats. Bet the gun folks would come out a LOT cleaner. Of course, it's a loaded [pardon the pun] question because gun owners have probably gone thru multiple background checks and have come out clean each time. Can't imagine a cleaner demographic than gun owners.

This thread makes me sad... for a lot of different reasons. Ed F

I imported about 35 firearms from Hawaii when I moved to Fallbrook. You have a certain amount of time [30 days, if I recall] to fill out the import forms for each firearm separately and send to the Attorney General. Don't recall what the fee was. Then the AG checks each and every firearm to make sure that it is CA compliant and sends you a completed registration approval for each separate firearm. Until you get the forms back from the AG, you need to be careful about taking your firearms out into the field, since they aren't registered until the AG acts. It took me 5 months to get my registrations back from the AG. Failure to comply is a huge penalty, money and incarceration. A real problem for me was that I had a few Ruger semi-auto pistols and even though they only held less than 10 rounds, they are not on the CA approved list so the AG rejected them. I sent those pistols back to HI and had an FFL buddy of mine sell them on Gunbroker. Any pistol with a magazine that exceeds 10 rounds is not legal here as well as any semi-auto pistol that has not met CA's requirements. There is a website at the AG department called "Approved Handguns for California." Google it and make sure that any handguns are listed.
This is interesting, I know many folks who have brought off roster handguns when they moved, and own off roster handguns myself. You can buy them for a premium at most gun stores(PPT on consignment). Not sure what happened with your transfer, but I own off roster handguns as well, they are not illegal, though you can't buy them here new.

Reactions: PinTeal34

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu