Muzzle brake

tonyjohnson619

Dec 13, 2014
looking to get a brake for my savage 300wm... i don't like how hard it is to stay on target when i shoot and can't watch my own hits or misses. I heard about the vais brakes reduce recoil but don't have the down fall with the added noise for shooter. Anyone have experience with them or can recommend a good brake?

Is your barrel already threaded? If it’s not threaded look at the Witt Machine clamp on. I have put two of them in my boys rifles they are economical and work great. Drastically reduce recoil.

Brakes are loud as heck there is no way around it. We now wear a plastic ear plug band around our neck while we hunt so we can pop them in when we shoot.

Reactions: Muley Buck
Permanent tinnitus in my left..not sitting back far enough while pointing out forkys....muzzle breaks...uggh..

Reactions: MJB and Kellendv
Permanent tinnitus in my left..not sitting back far enough while pointing out forkys....muzzle breaks...uggh..

I bet, last year my partner and I double tapped our buck...He ran a muzzle brake on his 7 mm Rem Mag and I couldn't hear out of my right ear for a couple of hours.

Now I got a plastic ear bud band to wear around my neck.

I bet, last year my partner and I double tapped our buck...He ran a muzzle brake on his 7 mm Rem Mag and I couldn't hear out of my right ear for a couple of hours.

Now I got a plastic ear band to wear around my neck.
Definitely the way to go with the band...i tend to look at guys rifles more now ....sit back a few feet if they are sporting brakes..

Is your barrel already threaded? If it’s not threaded look at the Witt Machine clamp on. I have put two of them in my boys rifles they are economical and work great. Drastically reduce recoil.

I looked at these after reading your comment, seems like a good $100 investment. One of the comments said it changed his point of impact 2" at 50 yds. Does this mean it would alter holdover more at longer distances or make a CDS turret inaccurate?

I looked at these after reading your comment, seems like a good $100 investment. One of the comments said it changed his point of impact 2" at 50 yds. Does this mean it would alter holdover more at longer distances or make a CDS turret inaccurate?

Changing point of impact just means you would need to re-zero...the CDS is based on velocity and bullet combo with an assumed zero distance. I do not believe muzzle brakes have a significant impact on velocity (which would be the only thing to make the CDS turret inaccurate).

You would need to chrono your rifle and make sure the velocity was the same or at least close. As long as the velocity is the same the CDS will work.

Reactions: Mud Pigeon
Definitely carry those earplugs around your neck when hunting. I've had constant ringing in my ears since 2006 and have some hearing loss (permanent). If I had it to do over again, I would not have gotten a brake. You can shoot more, but your accuracy won't change.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MJB
Tony, I'm in the market for a chronograph. Soon as I can break free from work and life let's hit P2K.

If ever I was to consider adding a muzzle break to any of my firearms, this topic changed that possibility.

Definitely carry those earplugs around your neck when hunting. I've had constant ringing in my ears since 2006 and have some hearing loss (permanent). If I had it to do over again, I would not have gotten a brake. You can shoot more, but your accuracy won't change.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You could always take it off and re-zero right before hunting season. A brake is great for practice and getting to know your rifle.

They change point of impact for sure. messes with harmonics and recoil by a lot. can even change load development if you get down to that. They are rad for PRS and steel shooting but hunting they are freaking loud and will cause damage if shot with out protection. that said a light weight gun with a brake gives you ability to see the impact and make adjustments for a second shot that you will never do with a light non brake gun

Reactions: BBH and Muley Buck

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu