new season, new species

so first of all it was my first squirrel with the bow. i had to play my respects and let it be a part of me.
2nd. not alot of fleas and her liver and inside looked fine.
made sure to cook her though. had her in oil and on the cast iron.
if you dont hear from me. i ate my last squirrel. haha

ps. put me on that podcast

Last edited:
Jackrabbit hearts and kidneys (I'm saving the livers for another recipe) cooked with bacon and onions, accompanied with sweet potato, pickled beets and a blue berry and wild nettle smoothie. Breakfast of champions. Feeling adventurous yet @HATCHET1?20190528_064847.jpg

So how do you cook or prep the kidneys so they don't have that ammonia smell?

The only time I ever tried to cook (pig) kidneys just washed clean with nothing added, out of curiosity as a young adult, they smelled HORRIBLE when cooking in the pan, like hot piss was emanating out of them.

Now with some years on me I figure there was some kinda key preparation step I probably wasn't aware of back then, like needing to soak them in something or...???

How did you prep these kidneys you have in this plate?

So how do you cook or prep the kidneys so they don't have that ammonia smell?

The only time I ever tried to cook (pig) kidneys just washed clean with nothing added, out of curiosity as a young adult, they smelled HORRIBLE when cooking in the pan, like hot piss was emanating out of them.

Now with some years on me I figure there was some kinda key preparation step I probably wasn't aware of back then, like needing to soak them in something or...???

How did you prep these kidneys you have in this plate?
Gut and skin as soon as they hit the ground. Marinate overnight in red wine. Cook in a skillet with onions and peppers. Voila.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Gut and skin as soon as they hit the ground. Marinate overnight in red wine. Cook in a skillet with onions and peppers. Voila.

Ok, Red Wine Huh? right on... can't do peppers though. :(

I mean... like sometimes I'll put a small mount of Scriracha in the Olive Oil brush-ons I might do for broils of meats... or I might include a small portion of a non bell-pepper type of pepper into a crock-pot of something. (Did a piece of Reaper into last batch, was good, but whoa did I pay for it) Because Mama magically likes stuff if there is that hint of spice in it. But boy do I pay for it. I couldn't do it without Zantac. And even with the Zantac to help with the reflux... that can't do anything about the IBS type symptoms eating any bell-pepper would do to me. It sucks... because most restaurants in the SouthWest through a crap-ton of peppers at entree items as a cheap way to add "filler" to the meal to get away with less of the meat item and make up for lack of cooking skills by their staff.

There's soo much stuff I have to skip on menus. It freakin' sucks. Spicy and Diary and blah blah blah.

But ya know... I'm doing the homeowner thing now so I cook meals at home 95% of the time anyway to eat more healthy and save money. So it's all good. But you know how it is, your woman is always gonna wanna eat out every once in awhile, so you just learn what dishes you can tolerate well and stick to those.

About the only thing I wouldn't eat again...would be Uni. That cold Sea Urchin stuff was just gross.

You must've had a bad batch or something... just went out for sushi recently and had a crazy good uni topped wagyu sashimi with a slice of jalapeno on top. Bombbb

Eating uni is also good on all fronts I hear.. the best uni comes from down here so you're supporting the local economy, and supposedly they take over an ecosystem if you don't harvest them..

Mmm make some of that Arkansas squirrel gravy from the drippings that I always read about in Field and Stream. Question for some of you more knowledgeable cazadores: I was told decades ago that fleas jump off rabbits soon after they have been shot, so when I hunt them I bring em back and put em in a dark spot in the truck bed and continue to hunt. Wouldn't the same apply to fleas on Squeaks ??

Last edited:
Never seen a flea on a tree squirrel....Never considered eating a ground squirrel....Haven't really seen a flea on rabbits either....Now, I have had fleas on our "16" bucks....And lots of them!

Definitely fleas on the "15" Rabbits. And Whoo Lawdy there are Ticks on the Deer in the "15". I showed that on my YouTube videos. Just crawling with em in the crotch area. Poor things.

Funny story, don't know if I posted it before on this forum. In the late 1990s, my buddy was hunting in Millers canyon and since the mountain quail and turkeys weren't cooperating he shot him a couple of big chunky acorn fed squirrels. The next day when his wife and 3 daughters saw the "cute" squirrels being prepared for the BBQ, they stopped talking to him for 3 days.... He didn't know if he should be sad or thankful....

• Haha
Reactions: TheGDog and msailor
Hey I had tons of fleas on rabbits..
I think the reason being is they
Have burrows, and sleep in them.
So protected from the environment..
Same with ground squirrels..
Ok i throw the rabbits in a plastic trash bag then tie it. Throw it in my
Bird vest....
Crazy. :)

Never seen a flea on a tree squirrel....Never considered eating a ground squirrel....Haven't really seen a flea on rabbits either....Now, I have had fleas on our "16" bucks....And lots of them!

Fleas and ticks galore.. wish I had a time lapse camera on the last D16 deer head I had in my garage.. ticks hopping off by the handful like the Titanic sinking.

Reactions: Smokey58

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu