New to Hunting/New to California General Info

Well I might be willing to part with mine. I have a vortex diamondback spotter. It's good for a starter scope. I picked that one over the viper just cause of the weight. Viper HD is freaking heavy. I strictly use vortex optics,love them. And honestly, I depoly my tripod system pretty quick. It's just getting use to the fire drill. Knowing your gear is key. As in where and how it's attached to your pack. I had everything packed away when I first spotted my deer in corona. Got everything out and was glassing within seconds. Also if it wasn't for my spotting scope I would've never seen the buck I took. He was bedded at 600 yards. All I saw was some sort of movement,so I put the spotter on the movement and therehe was. The other bucks were a spike and one that was broken off. That's what got my attention first and by glassing off the tripod I was able to catch the little movements of the shooter buck. And that same day just before my shot my buddy wouldn't have gotten his buck if it wasnt for the tripod and spotter. I was able to confirm he was legal at 200 yards or so.
I am a firm believer of tripods for bumps, they let you catch the smallest movements that you wouldn't see my free handing or mounting to a shooting stick. My buddy was using a stick to steady his glass when I was trying to tell him about a deer at about 700 or so yards away. I was watching him lick his nose and he could even find it. I told him to sit behind my binos and he couldn't believe how I saw the buck. He was looking at the same spot just couldn't make him out.
But everyone hunts with their choice of gear. I just know what works for me. Sorry about the long post. But I'm really into tripods as you can tell. Lol I wish I could afford an even better one than what I got. Hope this helps.

EXCELLENT POST

Last edited:
I appreciate the description of how it works. I looked up the items just to put eyes on them and get a better understanding as well. Are you generally sitting when you do your glassing or for the most part have you found that standing is more comfortable/effective? I know if you're on the actual stalk a smaller profile will matter, but for general glassing which have you found best?

When you do scout and sit are you doing so on one of those little chairs I've seen few people carry or just against the pack? I'm sure I will find out what works best for me with time but just so I have a general idea before I get out there.

The guys here are giving excellent advice. as the weather changes, the conditions change , even the style of hunting. all requires different techniques. get out there and just try it for your self. and see what works for you. there are close encounters and far distance encounters with deer. each will require different methods. I use to sit and wait for hours, days and weeks till the right time. in the same spot. and I would drag a deer out of there every year. and I have some of the photos to prove it. some times I like to stalk because I enjoy it. I see more deer that way, but it takes careful approach in the wind, and the terrain. half the battle is knowing the terrain and were there will be deer!!!!!!!!!. and how to approach them with out getting busted. a basic technique is go to the highest point in an area already scouted. and scan and scan good. and hard. each area will be different and there usually not a canned technique. I like to walk the ridges and be high I scan very well in front of me and bellow and across. but I do it slowly. and I do it at a snails pace and spend time in one spot. look for sign, scat, tracks, rub spots on small trees, look for bedding areas. look for shaded areas when it's sunny, look for sheltered areas when it's windy. look at open areas when when it's cloudy and rainy.
o yea about the gear what works for me may not work for you, until you try it and see, every one is different.

AKA Ghost

Well said ghost. It's all about how you go about it. That's why I was getting really frustrated with bow hunting. I'm having to learn another technique the requires experience. Can't learn it from someone telling you how to do it. Even though it helps when someone is willing to give up some advise. But you still have to get out and practice those teachings. Bow hunt sucks. Lol but in one short season I'm obsessed. Lol.

Well I might be willing to part with mine. I have a vortex diamondback spotter. It's good for a starter scope. I picked that one over the viper just cause of the weight. Viper HD is freaking heavy. I strictly use vortex optics,love them. And honestly, I depoly my tripod system pretty quick. It's just getting use to the fire drill. Knowing your gear is key. As in where and how it's attached to your pack. I had everything packed away when I first spotted my deer in corona. Got everything out and was glassing within seconds. Also if it wasn't for my spotting scope I would've never seen the buck I took. He was bedded at 600 yards. All I saw was some sort of movement,so I put the spotter on the movement and therehe was. The other bucks were a spike and one that was broken off. That's what got my attention first and by glassing off the tripod I was able to catch the little movements of the shooter buck. And that same day just before my shot my buddy wouldn't have gotten his buck if it wasnt for the tripod and spotter. I was able to confirm he was legal at 200 yards or so.
I am a firm believer of tripods for bumps, they let you catch the smallest movements that you wouldn't see my free handing or mounting to a shooting stick. My buddy was using a stick to steady his glass when I was trying to tell him about a deer at about 700 or so yards away. I was watching him lick his nose and he could even find it. I told him to sit behind my binos and he couldn't believe how I saw the buck. He was looking at the same spot just couldn't make him out.
But everyone hunts with their choice of gear. I just know what works for me. Sorry about the long post. But I'm really into tripods as you can tell. Lol I wish I could afford an even better one than what I got. Hope this helps.

Thank you for that awesome post! I actually had a lot of fun reading it to be honest, I appreciate the effort and time you put into that. I absolutely understood what you were saying and the examples really painted a straight forward picture. I'll definitely get myself a tripod (my fingers are shaky) and any leg I can get up on these deer I'll go ahead and take lol.

I have nothing but great things to say about Vortex and I'm ecstatic to hear that you've found that particular model to be as effective as it has been. I'd love to buy it from you if it were to be in that price range but I know those scopes retain their value extremely well :) If I can't buy it from you now, I'll save up until I can (if you still have it).

I'll definitely head your advise and stage my gear in a way that I know how to access it quickly. I'll go ahead and do some dry runs here and home and so that when I get out to scouting in the next few weeks I'll be able to do so quickly.

How do you keep your gear quiet? How to do minimize your sound when your walking through all the dead leave and twigs?

I can't thank you enough for your time and dumping all those examples. I appreciate it

Well said ghost. It's all about how you go about it. That's why I was getting really frustrated with bow hunting. I'm having to learn another technique the requires experience. Can't learn it from someone telling you how to do it. Even though it helps when someone is willing to give up some advise. But you still have to get out and practice those teachings. Bow hunt sucks. Lol but in one short season I'm obsessed. Lol.

Absolute agreed turkeyman. Nothing beats the hands on experience. I figure I'll give myself as much as a head start as I can by reading and asking those who have been successful before me; then tie that into the way I scout/hunt. I'm definitely excited to get out there and put in the time/miles needed to really understand what I'm doing out there. I'm honestly just thankful and happy to have the opportunity to get out there and finally do some scouting for the next season.

I'm excited to pick up a bow and hopefully working my way into bow hunting once I'm proficient enough to do so. It's exciting to hear that it's addicting and that you're working your way through more effective techniques and practices. For this season I figure I'll stick to rifle and practice my hunt until I'm ready for the challenges tha bowhunting presents :)

The guys here are giving excellent advice. as the weather changes, the conditions change , even the style of hunting. all requires different techniques. get out there and just try it for your self. and see what works for you. there are close encounters and far distance encounters with deer. each will require different methods. I use to sit and wait for hours, days and weeks till the right time. in the same spot. and I would drag a deer out of there every year. and I have some of the photos to prove it. some times I like to stalk because I enjoy it. I see more deer that way, but it takes careful approach in the wind, and the terrain. half the battle is knowing the terrain and were there will be deer!!!!!!!!!. and how to approach them with out getting busted. a basic technique is go to the highest point in an area already scouted. and scan and scan good. and hard. each area will be different and there usually not a canned technique. I like to walk the ridges and be high I scan very well in front of me and bellow and across. but I do it slowly. and I do it at a snails pace and spend time in one spot. look for sign, scat, tracks, rub spots on small trees, look for bedding areas. look for shaded areas when it's sunny, look for sheltered areas when it's windy. look at open areas when when it's cloudy and rainy.
o yea about the gear what works for me may not work for you, until you try it and see, every one is different.

AKA Ghost

The amount of knowledge that you guys are dropping off on this thread is honestly amazing! You guys are awesome. Thank you for taking the time to break down some basic glassing techniques in a way I could really picture.

Some of those items listed are things I would've overlooked while glassing had I not read this post. Even after spending hours reading deer articles and watching hunts, no one ever says that out loud most just know to do it from experience. Thank you for sharing that. This is the type of information I will be thankful to have once I'm out there scanning the terrain and looking for deer and SIGNS of deer. Something I honestly hadn't even thought of.

I will most definitely put as much of this knowledge as I can to use and I'll start put in the time to really understand it and let it become second nature. Thank you for this post Ghost!

If you want to learn more about glassing you should listen to the jayscott podcast. He has guest on there that are super tuned in when it comes to glassing for game here in the West. Everything from course deer to elk. I like Cody Nelson (I think that his Name) from the Outdoorsmans in Phoenix Az. They have great glassing tips and good gear.

If you want to learn more about glassing you should listen to the jayscott podcast. He has guest on there that are super tuned in when it comes to glassing for game here in the West. Everything from course deer to elk. I like Cody Nelson (I think that his Name) from the Outdoorsmans in Phoenix Az. They have great glassing tips and good gear.

Thanks for the tips and the heads up on the podcasts. I will most definitely give them a listen and absorb as much as I can from them. That's an awesome resource to have, I honestly didn't know something like that even even existed. I'm excited to hear and apply what they've (and you have all) laid out.

Welcome Ajt,

Good luck on your endeavors......Ask specific questions and many of us will try to answer to the best of our ability.

ps......I hate a draw system......So, I buy only A-22 & D-16 tags......Plus, I'm old......:blush:
Hey Steve, wanted to ask because it got confusing the last couple of years. Can I apply for A-22/G-13, and then buy a D-16 immediately when the leftover tag purchasing begins? Is that how you get both tags? I think one if premium, and the other restricted, so it's ok. Yes?

yes you can on the tags. that is the way I have done it the last 2 years. Put in for the draw and IF....... they have any left after the draw you can get the D-16 tag over the counter.

AJ, first of all welcome. You ask good questions and obviously have done your homework. With your attitude, you are bound to enjoy hunting out here. Just to reinforce what xjon said, you may find it useful to pose your questions individually or topically in order to get the best answer(s) and discussion. Just a recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Meri0704
Hey Steve, wanted to ask because it got confusing the last couple of years. Can I apply for A-22/G-13, and then buy a D-16 immediately when the leftover tag purchasing begins? Is that how you get both tags? I think one if premium, and the other restricted, so it's ok. Yes?

Sean,

If you draw your A-22 or G-13 (& you most likely will get one of the two)......Then you have to wait till the 1st part of August and see if any D-16's are available (there has been the last few years)......You can do it in reverse too......Just not many A-22's left, when the go OTC.

AJ, first of all welcome. You ask good questions and obviously have done your homework. With your attitude, you are bound to enjoy hunting out here. Just to reinforce what xjon said, you may find it useful to pose your questions individually or topically in order to get the best answer(s) and discussion. Just a recommendation.

Bonejour thank you for the reminder. I will definitely ensure I do a better job of slowing down the questions once I start glassing (I got a bit excited and just threw all the questions out there). I do appreciate everyone taking the time to pass on bits of knowledge, hopefully I can continue picking everyone's brain in this coming month when I start getting out in the field.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu