New to SCH...

James N.

Jan 11, 2018
Hello,
James is my name and I just obtained my CDFW Hunting license and I would love help with getting started to hunt with my .22 Air Rifle (Gamo Swarm Maxxim). I live in Orange and wanted to hook up with some knowledgeable folks to learn the craft and hopefully learn how to take pig with this rifle. I would love any suggestions you all would have and look forward to hearing from some of you.

J

Reactions: Moves
Welcome to the site.

You can not take a pig with a Gamo air gun sorry. Yes the big bore pcp guns can do it but even that is not something a newbie should do.

The learning curve is tough but it gets better fast

James,

Welcome to SCH.....I suggest start saving for a rifle & shotgun.....A Savage or Ruger in .270 will let you hunt most anything in California.....The shotgun will increase your hunting opportunities by 10 fold....There's lots of reasonably priced auto loaders these day.....But IMO, the Remington 870 pump is one of the best ways to go.....Ask lots of questions, learn our local public lands (CNF, BLM, & WA's), and read the hunting regulations thoroughly.

Reactions: James N.
Welcome to the site use the 308 it’s one of the best all around rounds ever made. Get a shotgun and go hunting with a 12ga and a 308 you can kill anything in North America. I would be hesitant on Brown Bear and moose with a 308 but it would kill one.

James,

Welcome to SCH.....I suggest start saving for a rifle & shotgun.....A Savage or Ruger in .270 will let you hunt most anything in California.....The shotgun will increase your hunting opportunities by 10 fold....There's lots of reasonably priced auto loaders these day.....But IMO, the Remington 870 pump is one of the best ways to go.....Ask lots of questions, learn our local public lands (CNF, BLM, & WA's), and read the hunting regulations thoroughly.
*************************************************************************************************************

Thanks for the advice. I have a savage .308 (lefty) and the reason for the airguns is they are challenging and enviro friendly w/non -lead, etc. I live in Orange and want to find an area close to me to get out there and practice hunting skills. It would be even better to partner up with a mentor alsoto be instructed properly.

J

*************************************************************************************************************

Thanks for the advice. I have a savage .308 (lefty) and the reason for the airguns is they are challenging and enviro friendly w/non -lead, etc. I live in Orange and want to find an area close to me to get out there and practice hunting skills. It would be even better to partner up with a mentor alsoto be instructed properly.

J
Welcome James. I’m in the OC too and the closest places to hunt are San Jacinto WA, CNF, and south side of the SBDO NF. If you have bucks for a private club you can shoot Prado Dam area. All of these are within one hour of you. Of course there is the Mohave Desert 1.5 hours away. Buy the OnX app!

Welcome James. I’m in the OC too and the closest places to hunt are San Jacinto WA, CNF, and south side of the SBDO NF. If you have bucks for a private club you can shoot Prado Dam area. All of these are within one hour of you. Of course there is the Mohave Desert 1.5 hours away. Buy the OnX app!

Very cool. I know nothing about shooting and would love to partner up with some seasoned hunters to watch, mimic and learn :) I'll buy that App, thanks! ;)

Very cool. I know nothing about shooting and would love to partner up with some seasoned hunters to watch, mimic and learn :) I'll buy that App, thanks! ;)
Let me rephrase that, "I know nothing about HUNTING", I know a bit about shooting. :p

Let me rephrase that, "I know nothing about HUNTING", I know a bit about shooting. :p

Hi James,

I'm right here in Anaheim and fairly new to this site as well.

I've taken Monday off to go shooting in the desert off the 15 and Hodge Rd (hour and a half away). If you like to shoot with me, I'm up for that. I'll be leaving about 9am.

Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site. I also would highly recommend getting yourself a decent semi auto 12g...once you do that let the addiction begin

Reactions: Gspman
Hi James,

I'm right here in Anaheim and fairly new to this site as well.

I've taken Monday off to go shooting in the desert off the 15 and Hodge Rd (hour and a half away). If you like to shoot with me, I'm up for that. I'll be leaving about 9am.

Joel

Joel, very kind of you, however, I have a bit of work this week. Keep in touch, we'll go some time soon :)
Welcome to the site. I also would highly recommend getting yourself a decent semi auto 12g...once you do that let the addiction begin
I hear ya. I just got a Benjamin Marauder. :D. So in a little while :D

Okay, man. If you ever get that shotgun, I go skeet shooting at Prado Olympic Shooting Park on weekdays during lunch.

Joel

Yeah, I have to return a Pellet gun and then could pick up a shotgun :)

Cool.. what are you shooting? Is that up Hodge Rd.? I'd like to shoot up there some time.. every now and then I visit my inlaws in Rancho and my BIL shoots up there, but I haven't gotten around to it. Let me know if you go regularly.

It's a Tikka T3X Lite in .308 win, with a Leupold VX1 3-9x40mm.

Yeah, I went off Hodge Rd and the 15 fwy. I've shot there twice now. I found a spot that was longer and flatter for getting to 200 yds.

I have kids, so getting out on the weekend is quite tough for me so to take a day to go shooting I take a weekday off to do it. But, if you warn me, we can totally do it!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu