Newbie for elk/ axis buck rifle recommend?

Res4cue

Feb 19, 2021
Hello. I am a newbie hunter. Few kills for food, but nothing worth mounting. I am planning a trip to Texas in November for a white tail and possibly an axis buck. The ranch that I hunted on this past week said that a 6.5 Creedmoor is not enough for an axis buck 200 yds out. I will also be joining a friend up in Montana for some elk as well. I will obviously make the final decision but I am always looking to learn and hear educated opinions. Thank you.

i dont buy that the 6.5 is not enough...many large creatures have fallen to the .264 ..just put one in the throat...they dont go very far

Reactions: Res4cue
Was recommending as much as .375 H and H and .300 PRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Overkill big time, If you are a one gun person a 7 mag will do anything in the lower 48 you want to kill, a little big for some game and right on for elk size animals. So many choices out there for you to choose from.

A lot of elk guides are not allowing 6.5 calibers anymore. I think the issue is not that the caliber doesn't kill, but that to many people choose the wrong bullet and have poor shot placement.

The rational is that bigger calibers help make up for poor shots.

Overkill big time, If you are a one gun person a 7 mag will do anything in the lower 48 you want to kill, a little big for some game and right on for elk size animals. So many choices out there for you to choose from.

Definitely not a one gun guy. I love my 6.5 and .308. I also have a 30.06 BAR but not a big fan past 200 yds. Probably just me. I have been told 7 mag and .300 WSM are the way to go. I am leaning towards the 7 but I definitely appreciate the vast knowledge out there.

Your 308 should do just fine and is plenty for elk out to 400yards or so.

last year I stepped into a 300 WM for bull elk and glad I did. If you don’t mind muzzle brakes than I would look closely at it because my WM kicks less than my light weight 308.

Definitely not a one gun guy. I love my 6.5 and .308. I also have a 30.06 BAR but not a big fan past 200 yds. Probably just me. I have been told 7 mag and .300 WSM are the way to go. I am leaning towards the 7 but I definitely appreciate the vast knowledge out there.

You have everything you need for the lower 48 with what you have. No need to spend more unless you want more options but the result will be the same if you do your job. My guess is that the guide has been seeing poorly shot animals and caliber size only helps shrink that margin a bit but not by much. Poke a hole n the right spot and it's game over..

Reactions: Res4cue and 180ls1
This discussion has been happening since smokeless powder was invented. Love to sit around a campfire and have at it. But to have it on the internet. I don’t have enough skin on my fingertips for that.
Go with a 375 cheytac. It will get the job done.

Reactions: TRICER and JakeSCH
This discussion has been happening since smokeless powder was invented. Love to sit around a campfire and have at it. But to have it on the internet. I don’t have enough skin on my fingertips for that.
Love it, LP has it right as we all know a 223 in the "spot gets it done" just pick something that works for you and learn to shoot well. bigger is better but marksmanship is the most important factor om all cases...

For inside 200 yards, I’d take a 308 over a creedmoor simply for heavyweight bullets. Shooting an elk up close I’d prefer more lead

Reactions: Res4cue
406 for good measure

I think you're well gunned...I'm pretty sure more elk have been killed with a 30-06 than any other caliber...Of course, I've never felt comfortable shooting far anyway...Inside 300 max...2 cents

I have no doubt that the 30.06 is more than enough. I definitely need more time on it. Like I said regarding it... “it probably just me” but I have not yet gotten comfortable with the Semi auto BAR. In regards to the .308 and the 6.5, I am very comfortable taking the shot. But some of the ranches are not giving the “go ahead” to shoot with the 6.5 after 200.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu