Newbie with a Rabbit Question

KThor

Mar 11, 2019
Orange County
Hello everybody,

Joined the group a while back and have been a silent observer since, but I have greatly appreciated reading everyone's experiences as I am a young adult new to hunting without a mentor.

Long story short, I was listening to Ben O'Brian's podcast, The Hunting Collective, with Charles Rodney and his passion for rabbits got me thinking. My question is a legal one; California rabbit season open soon and I am stumped on the definition of "Possession Limit." Possession limit is 10, which if my interpretation is correct means I can kill 10 rabbits&varying hare per season. This is correct?

And the number in my possession does not change if I eat them? For instance, I shoot 3 rabbits in a day and eat one for dinner. Is my possession limit 8 more or 7 more?

Thanks!

Your Bag Limit is 5 in one day. You can have in your posession no more than 10. (After the 10, over two days, it's for-sure time for you to leave the forest) And this would be presuming you hunted over two days. Regulations like these are to prevent folks from going hog wild and taking tons of them.

For example, if on the first day of Rabbit Season.... you are by yourself... and you have 10 Rabbits at your truck.... and the Ranger pulls up... you got problems. As there would be no possible reason for you to have the maximum possession limit of 10. The season would have only been in affect for just one day... and you are just one person, so logically you should have stopped at the Daily Bag limit of 5.

Hope this clears that up for you.

Are you running over that many with the bronco?

The number in your freezer counts toward your possession number also, at least it does with fish, probably applies to hunting also.

Or, you can go over to AZ. and get ten a day with a three day possession limit. Just walked in the door from a two day rabbit hunt along the river. AZ. has a $20 per day license you can get on line, VS an annual $160 non res. license I didn't limit, just ten for two days. My friends on the other hand went hog wild.

Should finally be a lot of bunnies in the 16 this year.

Funny you say that Drew... during turkey season I checked a spot that used to be a honey hole for bunnies when it had water years back. When the creek dried up, so did the bunnies. But this spring with the creek full, there were more bunnies than I've seen there in who knows how long.

Oh man... last years Rabbit Opener was such a Joy! I had my limit by 6:45am! And it was following a plan I'd formulated during the year before leading up to it. And I was snipin' 'em all from like 80 yds away on the Kiwk Stix w/ the .17 HMR. 15.5gr Hornady NTX's

Gotta love watching bunnies do back-flips!

Then decided to try calling for Predators and called in a Grey Fox to within 10yds!

It's real cool hunting them with AirRifle in the Mojave. There's actually enough space in between the vegetation and the terrain is nice and flat that you can easily creep around super slowly and silently and get decently close. And if you happen to jump one. Most of the time, if you take your time, you can stalk around slowly over into the direction they fled, in a roundabout way, and find out where they went to and pop 'em. Sometimes you might even spook'em even 3-4 times before you finally pull-off that last creep-in and make the shot finally connect. And with the silencers they've got on the airguns these days, you can often get a 2nd opportunity when you're attempting a shot a little further away at like 35-40yds. But out there ya gotta make dang sure you inspect the ground before you take a sit, or creep your sit over sideways... otherwise... a bit of dried Cholla surprise! OUCH!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu