NorCal Chuckar

ross1147

Nov 8, 2012
Headed up to my parents on some leave for the week. Started it out with a chuckar hunt today. I love to hate these stupid birds. Found out it can be too cold to light off powder in reloads. Thought all those people who say it were crazy. After watching my first shot roll out the barrel (obstructing my top barrel for the rest of the day) I switched over to factory loads. But then was handicapped with a single shot. Kicked up 4-5 coveys, killed one, hit another hard but with no follow up shot it got away. Overall a good day.A4DFE28C-BECC-4E11-BFC3-B6DA27EB3F39.jpegEC77E72D-E201-4F6E-96A6-787F36009E87.jpegF15ACF60-93A1-4897-9E50-473740F092CF.jpeg64BD36EA-1D2C-4263-A2B4-13F2ED8A8D46.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Only time I had trouble with reloads not firing was when the powder stage did not drop powder and only primer fired. Might have been your issue. Love, hate hunting them birds.

Only time I had trouble with reloads not firing was when the powder stage did not drop powder and only primer fired. Might have been your issue. Love, hate hunting them birds.
When I was looking up loads online for TSS a lot of them said I need to use mag primers if I’m hunting below freezing? When I got up here today I text my buddy who’s from Illinois and he mentioned good luck getting those rounds to go off in that cold! I’d never heard that before? I guess it could have been a faulty primer? The wad only went 6-7 inches down the barrel, the $3 dollars worth of TSS hit 10’ in front of me, and all the powder was still in the barrel?

Sweet Jesus...the red legged partridge...oh my....reminds me of my days in Randsburg...damn

Reactions: ilovesprig
Ahh the fence...they always like the fence..that thing would not last a day in the 16...16ers be fighting over him to the death I'd imagine..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu