Not what I expected to see...

aeverett152

Oct 4, 2020
Murrieta
Went into an area today where I have seen a plethora of dove and quail twice earlier this year. This time...NOTHING. Absolutely nothing but song birds and crows... Pretty disappointed. Took the opportunity to explore more of this area and saw some turkey vultures circling an area not too far from me. Hiked over there and came across this recent lion kill. Must of been within the week because it was smelling like Daumers apartment. The rain yesterday revealed some very recent cat tracks around, and to and from the deer which means it probably was eating on it last night or earlier this morning. Shame because this was a pretty nice buck. 20231116_114513.jpg

No neck damage or claw marks on the shoulders, sure it was a lion kill ? Plethora ? we all know that movie scene ... !
A lion clearly has been feasting on it. Assuming it was due to the lion sign around the deer. It could of been a bad shot by a hunter, then died, and then lion food.

And yes there was once a plethora or upland game in this spot.

No neck damage or claw marks on the shoulders, sure it was a lion kill ? Plethora ? we all know that movie scene ... !
Yep. I think it was wounded by a hunter or died by some other way. Don’t see any signs of trauma to the neck or face. Mountain Lion would have crushed his pipe. A cat will drag off a shot deer and cache it. They eat out the liver and kidneys. I hate those things.

John

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu